Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my first XD earlier this week, its a 4" bitone .45. They informed me that it should be in sometime next week so i was just curious is there anything I should look for before buying it to make sure the gun is in top shape. We all know there is nothing more disappointing than buying somehing you have been wanting and find out its not working like it should. So any problems or anything yall know about that I could check out before i make the final decision on it would be greatly appreciated.

Also this may be a dumb question but I was curious when you go to a gun dealer is it "acceptable" to negotiate the price of a new gun or is it just one of those things you dont mess with and pay what they ask? I have only bought one other gun from this shop so im a "regular" or anything like that. And if it is ok to do then what is the best way to go about working the price down a little bit?

Thanks i appreciate any help

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had an XD 45 compact bitone for several months. Gun looks and shoots great. In my gun purchases, I was able to negotiate less than the price tag price, but not necessarily huge savings. Check out the online dealers for low prices, factor in the transfer fees etc. and then see if your local shop can match or beat the price. Some will try to work with you. Good luck with your new XD.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
You'd probably have more success trying to haggle some extras like ammo or extra mags or a holster.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I ordered my first XD earlier this week, its a 4" bitone .45. They informed me that it should be in sometime next week...
Also this may be a dumb question but I was curious when you go to a gun dealer is it "acceptable" to negotiate the price of a new gun or is it just one of those things you dont mess with and pay what they ask? ...
Thanks i appreciate any help
Wait a minute...if you have already had your dealer order the pistol for you, did you not already agree on a price for it with the dealer? I don't think I have ever let a dealer order something without quoting me a price on it first...especially if I have committed to buy it. If he quoted you a price before it was ordered, I don't think you have any leverage to negotiate a different price now, nor are you likely to work out a deal on any accessories.

If he just ordered it to get one in the shop for you to look at and "try out" and to put in his inventory, then that is a different story.

The best prices I have seen on an XD45 Service Bi-tone is around $460...add in $25 for shipping and another $25 for the transfer fee and you have an in-hand price of around $510 max, plus the wait-time for an internet purchase, FFL transmission from your local guy to the place you are buying from, plus wait on shipping which I usually give my local guys a break in terms of their price versus an internet price. I would say that if you can get the pistol from your local guy for $520-525 out-the-door, that is about as good a deal as you'll get and you have the satisfaction of supprting a local business which is always a good thing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait a minute...if you have already had your dealer order the pistol for you, did you not already agree on a price for it with the dealer? I don't think I have ever let a dealer order something without quoting me a price on it first...especially if I have committed to buy it. If he quoted you a price before it was ordered, I don't think you have any leverage to negotiate a different price now, nor are you likely to work out a deal on any accessories.

If he just ordered it to get one in the shop for you to look at and "try out" and to put in his inventory, then that is a different story.

The best prices I have seen on an XD45 Service Bi-tone is around $460...add in $25 for shipping and another $25 for the transfer fee and you have an in-hand price of around $510 max, plus the wait-time for an internet purchase, FFL transmission from your local guy to the place you are buying from, plus wait on shipping which I usually give my local guys a break in terms of their price versus an internet price. I would say that if you can get the pistol from your local guy for $520-525 out-the-door, that is about as good a deal as you'll get and you have the satisfaction of supprting a local business which is always a good thing.
He basically just ordered it like you said to get one in and for me to try out but hes gonna call me when he recieves it so i have first chance at it. My understanding is that they dont normally stock them although they did have an XDm40 bitone for $625. Yeah i would never order without agreeing on a price if i was commited to buying it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
He basically just ordered it like you said to get one in and for me to try out but hes gonna call me when he recieves it so i have first chance at it. My understanding is that they dont normally stock them although they did have an XDm40 bitone for $625. Yeah i would never order without agreeing on a price if i was commited to buying it.
I kinda figured, but thought I'd make sure.

In that case, I think that the $525 price would be my top end...HOWEVER, if the guy bothered to order it and then quotes you an outrageous price to buy it that you refuse, he may not agree to do a transfer for you on a cheaper one (he should because it is still $$ in his pocket although maybe not as much).

However, the best price I have seen lately on an XDm Bi-tone was around $590 (+S&H, +transfer fee). Given his price of $625 for that same pistol...you may be okay with this dealer offering you a reasonable price on the XD he ordered in for you to look at.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Go to various shops and see if they will let you see the catalogs they order from, then find out how much mark-up they expect you to pay. Then go with whomever charges you the least percentage of mark-up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I appreciate the help

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Make sure you are getting everything it should come with. The XD Gear is supposed to be included. XD Gear consists of a hard case (plastic), extra magazine, holster, mag loader, magazine carrier and a cable lock. Thats what mine came with anyway.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
The line I use is "What is your best price on this gun?"

It's not aggressive or annoying and at real gun shops I always get a better price OR something free, especially on used guns.

Don't bother at the chain stores.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts