Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to roll a few rounds of 9mm for testing in the WC 92G BrigTac. Using Titegroup as the powder, mixed cases and a couple different bullet types.

Bullet: 124gr Berry's Plated RN, .356
Powder: Titegroup, 4.0gr
COAL: 1.090
Primer: Winchester Small Pistol

Load 2
Bullet: 115gr Hornady HAP JHP, .356"
Powder: Titegroup, 4.3gr
COAL: 1.110
Primer: Winchester Small Pistol

Rolled 15 of each, tested to make sure they wouldn't cause any problems in the magazine when loaded to capacity, and they both passed plunk tests in the BrigTac, Shield, Glock 19 and the Jericho 941. Will only test them out of the BrigTac, however. Should have results on function by midday tomorrow.

Wish me luck! ;)

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm not exactly trying to squeeze max accuracy out of these loads, just testing for function. Of course, if they're as accurate as the WWB I've been shooting (pretty sure it'll meet that standard), I'll be happy.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's about .2gr from max with both loads. I'm sure the fullsize frame of the 92G will make these rounds feel tame. Even the 124gr +p HSTs felt downright pleasant, even with cold hands in 29* temps.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I've got a nice blister on the web between my index finger and thumb from putting about 200 rounds through our 938's the other day.

Gotta practice with the carry guns though. My 938s don't like the flat point style bullets though. Gotta source some RN's soon

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got back from the range. Holy CRAP. So busy I almost didn't have a place to park, and the public pistol lines were packed elbow to elbow. Weather was nice, though. :lol:

BLUF: Everything was shot unsupported at 7yds, 65*F, groups of 5, 6o'clock hold @ bottom of square. Squares measure 1". Everything fed and functioned perfectly, so based on my original goal of functionality testing, this trip was a complete success. Of course, I can't NOT test for accuracy as well, can I? Pic below, and breakdown of each group to follow underneath the photo...

Berrys 124gr plated RN:
BrigTac
(SA, no DA) - I'm vertically stringing the shots, but I wasn't paying attention to my breathing and holding a consistent natural respiratory pause on each shot. I am pleased with this performance.
G19 - All over the place. The G19 performed very consistently with WWB, so I'm loathe to blame the shooter or gun for this group.
Shield - Impressive... except for that flier. That was the second shot in the group, if anyone's wondering.

Hornady 115gr HAP JHP:
BrigTac (SA, no DA) - Like the Shield's group with the Berrys, Impressive... if not for that called flier. I'm pleased!
G19 - Looks like I need more practice, or the charge weight needs to be tuned up or down a tenth of a grain. Decent, but could be better when WWB outperforms this load.
Shield - Reliable, but not as accurate as I had hoped. Further testing needed.

I will be loading up larger batches of each of these loads so I can look at an average of the groups, rather than scratching my head and wondering if it's the load, the pistol, or me. Right now, I will only blame the load for the Berrys group out of the G19 (though I will continue experimenting with it to see if I can make a cheap load everything likes).

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice groupings, yeah I would guess the flyers are in junction with your breathing. Range busy on a Monday, is it a holiday today?
Only for slackers like myself. I was originally scheduled to come in, but there were no customers to support and i have a bunch of PTO to use, so why not? I used my powers for good. :lol:

I'm going to start shooting at 15yds, and will rein in my fundamentals there.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Well, I have titegroup and 124 grain xtreme bullets. they should be good with 4.3 grains will report back with results?

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
4.1 gr under 124 gr put me at speed for minor PF + 2.2 x SD

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
So, next up is the 147gr X-Treme plated with titegroup. Thinking 3.2-3.3gr charge, COAL of 1.150-1.160".

Any thoughts?
Well, depending on the type of gun you are using, your OAL seems a bit long. For XD types at least, you will find they generally will require a somewhat shorter OAL... like under 1.125 with a lot of bullets, and maybe as short as 1.11 or so (You might also like to try a FULL magazine's worth for fit, loading all the way down to the bottom at that long length of 1.150 or greater should you find they fit in your chamber.). This will mean you might want to start out with 3.0grns of TiteGroup when you are testing when using the shorter OAL's.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, depending on the type of gun you are using, your OAL seems a bit long. For XD types at least, you will find they generally will require a somewhat shorter OAL... like under 1.125 with a lot of bullets, and maybe as short as 1.11 or so (You might also like to try a FULL magazine's worth for fit, loading all the way down to the bottom at that long length of 1.150 or greater should you find they fit in your chamber.). This will mean you might want to start out with 3.0grns of TiteGroup when you are testing when using the shorter OAL's.
Beretta 92FS, Glock 19, Jericho 941, RIA 9mm 1911 and S&W Shield. My dummy at 1.162" passes plunk on all, though the 1911 is a little close.

Fortunately, I don't have any pistols that are plagued with short throat issues.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im guessing these are the bullets that FM sells on their sister sight??? If so how do you like them?
If you're talking about the X-Treme 147's, I can't give you an answer yet. I've yet to roll any into a handload. I expect to correct that deficiency by tomorrow, but since the local range is soaked, I will be waiting until next weekend or so to test them. I'll let you know then.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts