Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I just ordered an ATI FX45MIL 1911 and I sure want to change the beavertail.

Can I just change that only, or do I have to change the hammer as well?

And if someone can point me which one is compatible with my gun please, I would greatly appreciate it as I am new to 1911, and hope not to get addicted.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can put in a beavertail grip safety, but unless you are ready to file down the frame tangs, you will have to settle with a drop-in version that is made for 1911 frames with GI tangs.

The standard Wilson Combat drop-in beavertail (part# 429BG or #42SG for stainless) should most definitely work. It may or may not leave you with an unsightly gap between the safety and the end of the tangs. This is just one of the natural shortcomings with drop-in beavertails. If the tangs on ATI frames don't have as much meat as most GI frame 1911's do, then the COMMANDER drop-in version (part# 429BC or #42SC for stainless) may fit and look better.

Regardless, you might have to do some filing on the grip safety's trigger block to ensure that the trigger bow can move back when the trigger is pulled and the grip safety is disengaged.

As far as changing the hammer...If your gun comes with a GI style spur hammer then yes, you will also have to swap it out for a commander hammer or one with a similar profile so that the hammer can swing all the way down without interference from the beavertail.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Brandon04GT - thanks very much for the explanation. Highly appreciated. I will have to watch a lot of youtube videos then, and google a lot too... that will keep me busy for now...

thanks again

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Thank goodness this was cleared up I thought you were talking about this.....
:p
Astronauts took it to the moon you know.

And Al Bundy made the Tangwich famous.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
You guys are silly.

If you're adventurous, you can by a fitting jig from brownells and try grinding and filing down to install one yourself.

I prefer to just buy guns with them already fitted :) spurred hammers on a 1911 have an appetite for big hands.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank goodness this was cleared up I thought you were talking about this.....
:p
I like kool aid... anyway, the Springfield Range Officer you suggested in my old thread is still on my "buy" list... if I fall in love with the 1911 platform, Or when my "upgrade-itis" syndrome strikes back :grin:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts