Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd question and I do know that these are not ideal calibers for the job. Out of a .40 or .45 what would be better for black bear protection ( if needed) and fmj for penetration or a good hollow point? I know the .45 is bigger but it does not have the penetration of the .40. Ideally id rather a 44 mag pistol but that is just not in my inventory atm.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
I'd go with the velocity of the .40, and higher capacity. Obviously it's underpowered, but in either situation you'd be emptying the magazine and hope it scares them away.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I forget the maker, but have seen them @ cabelas, its a blue and yellow box, with a styro container I side for the bullets.

They might even say bear on the box.

Anyway, they have a 300gr round in .45 with some really big energy.

They should also be available in .40

I would think the heaviest fastest round you can find :)

Hopefully someone will chime in with better info.

Are you going to bear country?

If you are going once, for a trip, I see your point, if you are moving to bear county, save the money and get a .44 asap

·
Registered
149 Posts
I hope it's the .45 fmj because that's what I have. I know neither is any good at range, so my plan has always been to stand my ground knowing I'm going to get hurt. Then, when it's just outside of arms length, see if I can remove it's mouth. Of course, I'm going to fire a couple of shots in it's general direction first (if there's time) to see if the noise itself does the trick.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in the upper penn of Michigan, I was out hunting with my .22 in hand and .45 on my side, when I looked down to see a big pile of bear skat! I then questioned if my .45 would have been enough or should I have grabbed my .40 with more rnd cap and more penetration. I got a bit nervous even though the black bear around here are somewhat small and usually run away when you make some kind of noise, I still felt a bit un easy and all this was no more than 50 yds er so from my house. If I had my .44 lever gun with me I wouldn't have been as nervous but I was hunting small game and didnt want to be slinging a 2nd long gun over my shoulder.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd go with the velocity of the .40, and higher capacity. Obviously it's underpowered, but in either situation you'd be emptying the magazine and hope it scares them away.
Thats what I was thinking but wasnt quite sold on the idea.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I forget the maker, but have seen them @ cabelas, its a blue and yellow box, with a styro container I side for the bullets.

They might even say bear on the box.

Anyway, they have a 300gr round in .45 with some really big energy.

They should also be available in .40

Hopefully someone will chime in with better info.

Are you going to bear country?

If you are going once, for a trip, I see your point, if you are moving to bear county, save the money and get a .44 asap
That sounds like Buffalo Bore, and at 300 grains, it's probably for a 45 Colt ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,195 Posts
This is my anti-bear gun.

So you might want to go bigger!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
.40 and .45 wouldn't be my first choice. If I had to choose between those two I would go with the .45 loaded with some quality ball ammo.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Was just up in New Hampshire talking to some guys up there, and the bear problem is definitely getting worse up in their area. Since I carry a .40 I'd asked if that would be a decent defense, and almost to a man, they all said ANY pistol round (common that is... some from Thompson Center and a few others are exceptions) wouldn't do much except piss off a bear. All of them carried large caliber long-guns in case of bear encounters.

With that said, each also had sidearms they brought when out, and either had .40 or .45 with the usual arguments. More capacity (.40), vs more mass (.45), knowing they would be lucky to stop a bear with either of the rounds.

I'd think that any of the good quality self defense rounds would be your best bet if in bear country and only have a .45 or 40 for an option.

·
Registered
837 Posts
As an FYI If you go .44 buy a 6 inch. I shot a 4'' Ruger .44 once and it felt like I was smacking painful foul balls with a metal baseball bat. Just to make sure it wasn't me I started asking people at the range if they wanted to try it. None of them wanted to take more than one shot. I then tried a 6'' and it wasn't nearly as bad.

As far as .45 or .40 I guess either would be fine if you give it to a friend going with you. Let him shoot as you run away.

·
Premium Member
127,703 Posts
If I was limited to those two calibers I wouldn't go anywhere near a bear!

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes I know I need something bigger, that was not what I was asking... is the slower heavier .45 better for a bear or would the faster lighter .40 be better due to more penetration, I do know that there not the ideal bear defense but there better than carrying nothing, and once again .. a good hollow point or a fmj for penetration purposes? as I have only the 2 to choose from atm. It is bear season around here as well as small game season, so the bear hunters have the bears in a spook frenzy, and all the bears want is to get away from the dogs chasing them, I do not want to be a pancake if I happen to get run over by one of em, again there not brown grizly bear just smallish black bear about the 150-300 pound range (mostly the lower end of the spectrum)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts