·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in all three of the kinds (somewhat) nearest me (WA state)-

Black Bear
Brown/Grizzly Bear
Polar Bears

I've been reading lots and lots about bear hunting, but I'm not sure if the XD could be considered a valuable backup weapon or not.

Would the XD .40 penetrate a bear's skull or other critical bone structures?

What type of round would be best?

I'll be using a .308 and hopefully won't need the backup with a well placed shot.

·
Registered
533 Posts
S&W 500

Thats a good backup gun w/big bears.

I would carry a 40s&w hunting black bears here in michigan but not a chance in big bear country.

If I were to hunt grizzlys I would not even think about carrying anything less than 44mag. but I would try to get something bigger first, 454, 500 S&W,...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i would never hunt a bear, not after the stories i have heard. whats the point of it? do you eat it?

bears are too smart to be hunted.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have been trying to draw a bear tag in michigan for the last 4 years, its a lotery draw, I just put my app in yesterday, I hope I get it. if I dont I am going to canada in the fall.

If I get it I will use my Encore 308 pistol, and also carry the XD40 for backup. But most bear here in Michigan are between 150-400 pounds.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one-eyed-fatman said:
I've read that 308 isn't big enough for Grizzly, Kodiak or
Polar Bears.
Whoever said that is silly.

A .308 will absolutely destroy a bear's heart causing instant death; extremely quick death from a lung, artery, or head shot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jake I go bear hunting everyyear in canada. If you would like to go log onto goldeneaglecamp.com it is in elk lake ontario Let me know you can go with us and join in on the group discount

You will not carry your xd as a backup Canada= no PISTOLS

as far as what to use as anything you need a well placed round I have seen a bear take a 12 gauge slug in the head and it bounced off talk about pissed of bear (once he woke up) we shot it roughly 12 times to down it while it was chasing Dwayne
The bear I shot last year was with a 30.06 it dropped instantly and did not move, You can hunt with a bow Well placed shot

It tastes like salty pork Makes excellant jerky due to the chewy factor
Jake call me if your interested would enjoy your company

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
FireSeven said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
I've read that 308 isn't big enough for Grizzly, Kodiak or
Polar Bears.
Whoever said that is silly.

A .308 will absolutely destroy a bear's heart causing instant death; extremely quick death from a lung, artery, or head shot.
On a hunting website I was looking at quite some time ago they had a chart showing what caliber to use for different animals. That chart showed the 308 as to small for those bears. I have a neighbor that hunts the big G's in Alaska. I'll check with him and see what he say's just for the hell of it. He's a guide for Alaska bear hunting trips. He gets like $10,000.00 per hunter to do these trips.

·
Registered
275 Posts
One eye my dream hunt is polar bear from what I know about them I would want two of the biggest caliber I could come up with. The are big and will stalk you as the hunted sounds crazy but that would be cool...

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
A .40 would be better than nothing but it would not be my 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd choice. I wouldnt carry less than a .44 with 300 grain had cast. I guess you could always use the .40 to finish yourself off if you are being eaten..lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
AAhhhhh.........the old handgun for bear back-up equation.Man I just love reading these replies!!! Well here goes mine: No...actually,HELL NO.....Yes....and...probably. Seriously......no,a XD40 is not sufficient for a back-up for any bear, period. A .308 can put down/possibly stop a bear IF the shot is placed correctly and the right ammo is used.These two factors are the most important. And lastly,using the .40 on ones self just before the claws/teeth sink in is your last act of mercy for yourself. Now....before we start with the "I read/I heard",let me say this: Yes bears have been stopped with ineffective firearms before.But alot of strange things can happen.The question was "is the .40 up to the task".The answer is no! You don't bring a knife to a gunfight and you don't bring a personal self defence weapon to stop a bear.It's a matter of required "horsepower"and the .40 doesn't have it.This is the short/non-technical explanation.Now as far as what handguns do,if loaded with the proper ammo (big hardcast blunt bullets): .44 mag.,454 Casull,475/500 Linebaugh and .500 S&W come to mind.Again,placement is everything though.Hope this helps.....Herman.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Last year, or maybe it was the summer before, a female grizzly was killed by a fisherman with a 9mm pistol when the grizzly attacked. One shot to the head, IIRC.

But me, I'd carry something semiauto in a big rifle caliber as a backup. I've seen what a human who's been killed by a grizzly looks like, and it ain't pretty. Maybe my backup would be 3 buddies with rifles. I dunno, but it wouldn't be a measly pistol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I watched a show on Discovery or History channel and a park ranger in Alaska emptied a service pistol into a bears face and the bear finally died just feet from the ranger :shock: . I don't remember the pistols size but it was an auto loader. I think anythings better than nothing.

Chris Cahill

·
Registered
992 Posts
I sure as $h*t wouldn't want to be faced with a charging bear of this size!

From all that I've read, this guy was 14" standing on his hind legs, 1600 lbs, and ate a few folks before his demise at the business end of a 7mm Rem mag. From what I have gathered, this guy emptied 10+ rounds from his Browning into the bear before it fell.
You'd never run into a bear of this size, but c'mon! Anything short of a .44 MAG really is only useful for making your own death a quicker rite of "passage."

No thanks!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts