Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's a ton of lessons to take note of in you mishap but I'm just a little curious, exactly how did you pick up the weapon to sustain that type of wound? I know anything made by man can and will fail at some point, that being said I thought in order for that pistol to fire a number of events had to occur at the same time i.e., grip and trigger pull. I'm glad you are OK and no one else got hurt and the fact that you were brave enough to share this on this forum with us, but why would you have the pistol out next to the computer and loaded when your full attention couldn't be given to the gun and your young daughter is also in the house? I only ask this because I also spend a lot of time on my computer and like you I tend to loose sight of what's going on around me. There is a hard learned lesson here about the safe handling of a loaded weapon, however I think if you were to share if you can remember exactly how you picked up the weapon and if the it discharged with just pressure on the trigger only or a combination of trigger and grip. If not the ladder than wouldn't that indicate a possible problem with your handgun? I only ask this because I don't fully understand how the weapon discharged, unless you pick it up from the muzzle end which in and of it self would indicate a total brain fart on your part, and if that's not the case, give thanks that your wife and or daughter did not pick up that hand gun on that day. In any case you may want to really inspect that XD for mechanical problems and if you don't have the expertise than send it into a gunsmith or SA for operational inspection. Again sorry for the AD but very happen the outcome wasn't worse, and I wish you a speedy recovery. Too-Cool

·
Registered
603 Posts
Somehow I must have missed this post the first time around... I think there was a period of a few weeks where I got sloppy with checking forums. hobocircus, thanks for bumping this up for those of us who missed it or weren't around back then.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
All guns are always loaded. Enough said.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Grand Pooh-bah hasn't posted here since last April, so we can't get any aswers untill he shows up again. There are lots of new shooters on the board these days and I just wanted them to be aware of what could happen.
Play it safe everybody. If you don't understand, don't touch your firearms untill you do.

It's loads of fun, but you have to know your limitations.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
He is lucky that he only shot himself. Most accidential discharges cause injury or death to innocent bystanders which could have been his daughter or wife and that would have been tragic.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Repeat this everytime someone hande you a gun or you pick one up (even if it is rusty and in the back of your closet or safe)...."check the chamber first, check the chamber first, check the chamber first!

For me, this is almost as reflexive as blinking. A gunstore employee once chided me, after he took a pistol from the case and checked the chamber, when I did the same two seconds after he handed it to me. Can you REALLY do that too many times? I don't think so.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks for bumping that up to the attention of us newbies.

jonas

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hobocircus,
Thsnks for bumping this back up. When it happened I showed my kids the pics and went over basic safety rules again as we cleaned my modest collection together. I thnk seeing those pics really drove home to them the need to be absolutely sure you check your weapon each time you handle it. They used to laugh at me when I would check the camber on a gun we had set aside after cleaning it. The last time we went shooting one of my daughters commented that we needed to check each gun as we unpacked it from the case. It was the first time any of my 4 kids had been proactive about assuring her safety and the safety of those around us. Daddy was understandably proud :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
wow i remember that..
actually i miss the pubba

and yes always check the gun first. but every accident is because that finger went on the trigger when it should have

pointing in a safe direction
drop mag
pointing in a safe direction
rack back, empty live round
check
check for light in barrel
recheck
look at round indicator
recheck
point that gun in a totally safe place and squint when u pull the trigger
insert EMPTY MAG
rack back RECHECK
now ur cool to practice ur dry fire.

honestly how i prepare to dryfire minus the squint

·
Registered
725 Posts
troymez said:
When it happened I showed my kids the pics and went over basic safety rules again as we cleaned my modest collection together.
amen to you..
yes my daughter will turn 2 tomorrow and i have one on the way.. but great u are going over basics with the children.. ya they might not have interest in guns at all.. but it is a MUST that they have a full understanding of saftey and proper handling skills when there is a gun in the house

thank you for being a responisble gun owner

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks Beard,
Yea the kids now love to shoot. Started on the basics with an airsoft pistol, then .22 rifle once, then .22, .38/357 revolvers, and 9mm Taurus PT111 Pro. My son is 16 and has been shooting with his stepdad for a few years. I know that his stepdad is a good guy with guns so I don't worry much. My 3 girls are now 12, 12, and 11 and they all have been shooting the .38 and 9mm for almost a year now. They like it and it's great to see them with respect for the guns and not that un-initiated awe and desire to touch and play with that some kids get. They also don't fear them due to lack of understanding. It also keeps me on my toes to be as safe as possible not only for our safety, but for their learning. They only pick up what we show them.
Have a great night. If Pooba is out there listening...hope your recovery is complete.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, Im a little new in the forum, and just now came across this thread. Im so glad your going to be ok.

I had an AD/ND of my own a few yars back......I was leaving the house and went to unload and lock up my Taurus lightweight 38 revovler.....I opened cylinder, ejected the bullets, closed the cylinder, and for whatever reason I had for years always after ejecting the bullets pointed a revolver towards the floor and pulled the trigger twice. I guess thinking that as the last reassurance the gun is unloaded. Well, as I pulled the trigger for the second time, I was looking in my other hand and saw only 4 bullets.......the gun went off and blasted a hole in mmy shower door, shattering the galss and sending my adrenaline into overtime. Needless to say, I was lucky and learned one of the most important lessons inmy life....A gun is loaded, all the time, every time.

As to the guy with who shot his hand.....like most here, thanks for sharing and glad your ok....but what I kept thinking as I was reading your original post, was that you said you were in the kitchen, put the gun on the counter, and then got to the hospital. Did you leave a loaded gun in the house? I know this may sound mean, but I couldnt stop thinking about that. Your older daughter went to the house to clean up etc.....WHERE WAS THE GUN ? Im not kidding, I was scared reading your post...thinking only of the gun just left lying around. I hope that maybe thats not the case, and you just didnt put that in your post. But if that was the case, I think we should all remeber that our responsability doesnt end just because we came close to a near death tragety. Yhats just my 2 cents.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience.....Glad your OK.....but I hope we all learn more than a few things from close calls.

Sincerely, Bill ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn't have taken this subject so seriously without reading stories like this. Thanks to those who have shared their accidents. I dry fire all the time, and it's easy for anyone to develop bad habits. The other night at about 3am, I was watching episode after episode of LOST. I racked the slide of my XD and it took me a moment to realize the slide didn't lock back. Sure enough it was loaded. Tiny wake up call.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First of all, if the Grand Pooh-bah is still out there and looking in, I just want to say that I hope you have recovered and are doing well. Sorry to bring up this thread back up from the depths of the internet archives. I don't do this to put entertainment value to a tragic incident, but if maybe one or two people will benefit from it again then it is worth it in my opinion. So far it looks as though both young and old alike are aready finding a great deal of new found awareness from reading and viewing the photos. One day this small use of bandwith will disappear, but hopefully it will stay with some of us in our memory and keep us and those around us from harm.

God's Blessings to all.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
The Grand Pooh-Bah has returned!!!

After six months of surgeries, physical therapy and lots of exercise I was able to return to work full time. I declined on the final surgery because it would have meant another six months of recovery with no guarantees of improvement. Thank God I had AFLAC to help with the bills.

I have full use of my thumb and two fingers. The pinky and the one next to it have some movement but are pretty much useless.

Last weekend was the first time since that fateful night that I have handled my XD40. It is pretty tough putting a round in the chamber but I was able to muster enough hand strength to do it.

I have some blanks I think I will start practicing with to try and build my hand strength. I want to take that safety course but I can’t until my hand is stronger.

The wife and daughter are doing fine and I will be checking in more often now that I’m back in the saddle.

I still thank God that things didn't turn out worse than they did.

Hope all the ole' timers here on the forum are doing well.

Clay

1 - 20 of 28 Posts