Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
Many new vehicles have the air intake down low... most owners are unaware of this little factoid and only find out when they try to cross a flash-flooded road... there was a LOT of that in AZ. They'd hydraulic the engine into trash then wonder what happened... maybe it'll dry out... ?
Yes... it will dry out.
But the rods won't straighten themselves and now your car is scrap.
So sorry.

I can't believe that a guy who writes about survivalism didn't know this already.

BTW, when you see off roaders with snorkels, that's why. Yes, it's usually just for looks. But the snorkel allows a much deeper fording depth... provided you dont turn your fan into a propeller that pulls it through the radiator. Oops. Also avoidable.

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
My brother-in-laws brother had this need to see how deep ponds where while riding his ATV. If I recall, he had to rebuild his ATV engine 3 times over the years.

They'd drag it out, pull the spark plug, drag it up and down the road/trail to help get the water out, put the spark plug back in it and pull it till it got started. He could usually ride it home, but it never ran right till they pulled it apart and rebuilt it.

Hey, every time it rains around here the news stations start reminding people not to drive their cars into high water. I guess some people don't listen to the news - and don't have any common sense. If if it doesn't get into the engine it can ruin the transmission, drive axles, other electrical components, etc. There's a reason all that stuff is protected from the rain and a reason why driving it through the water causes the body design/parts to not protect those parts water is bad for.

Some things, you just can't fix. Darwin some times takes care of it.

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
BTW, when you see off roaders with snorkels, that's why. Yes, it's usually just for looks. But the snorkel allows a much deeper fording depth... provided you dont turn your fan into a propeller that pulls it through the radiator. Oops. Also avoidable.
Along with raising your diff breathers to near the level of your hood or at least higher than the tops of your tires.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Charlie loved water. He would willingly swim across any reasonably sized watercourse if it was deep enough for him to swim. I hung onto the saddle horn. He never ever seemed to suck any water. Long ago and far away. Horse.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
I think the main point of the article is that modern cars have lower intakes than cars had in the past. If you are used to being able to wash your headlights, and now washing you foglights leads to engine damage, I can see people being surprised by that.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Basic dude stuff.
If you don’t know this kind of thing, don’t worry. Natural selection will work things out just fine.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had those fear, now I yearn for them. Rig was just a few weeks old and under 1K miles on the clock when I drilled the 4" hole in the fender with a dozen other 1/4" holes to install the snorkel on her. Been thru a few nice water crossings with no worries. Coworkers keep asking my to drop her in a swimming pool. Afton Canyon on the Mojave was nice.

This one found its way back to me from instagram. Pretty nice shot.

·
Super Moderator
16,697 Posts
And of course.... Cars do float, and you cant cross crap if your wheels have no traction. The hight of the snorkel is definitely not as deep as you can go.

Which of course is another readon Jeeps rule.... Whit no doors Jeeps sink and maintain traction.. . .

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I think the main point of the article is that modern cars have lower intakes than cars had in the past. If you are used to being able to wash your headlights, and now washing you foglights leads to engine damage, I can see people being surprised by that.
Who washes the vehicle with it running?
Who blasts the car wash spray directly in to the opening?

If you hydrolock your vehicle in the car wash PLEASE walk away and continue walking everywhere as your to stupid to own a vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
And of course.... Cars do float, and you cant cross crap if your wheels have no traction. The hight of the snorkel is definitely not as deep as you can go.

Which of course is another readon Jeeps rule.... Whit no doors Jeeps sink and maintain traction.. . .
Which is proven with each heavy rain here in S TX where we have “low” water crossings. That always have high water in rains.

Amazing the people who teat the “waters” and then float down the creek.

Always thought it should be a high water crossing.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Who washes the vehicle with it running?
Who blasts the car wash spray directly in to the opening?

If you hydrolock your vehicle in the car wash PLEASE walk away and continue walking everywhere as your to stupid to own a vehicle

I believe he is saying that people are used to driving through water head light deep (washing the headlights) but with intakes being lower now, if the water is fog light deep (washing the fog lights) you could be in trouble.

At least that is what I took from his post.

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
I put a "pop charger" on my 300ZX which is a cone-shaped K&N filter replacing the stock intake box. It lowers the air intake to about 12" above the ground. Needless to say I don't take it through deep puddles.

·
Registered
17,764 Posts
Quickest way to un hydrolock an engine
Pull the plugs, turn it over a few times
You will know really quick if the rods are bent...plus it will blow out all the water
Replace plugs and wires...drive away

Reactions: ATCclears

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Quickest way to un hydrolock an engine
Pull the plugs, turn it over a few times
You will know really quick if the rods are bent...plus it will blow out all the water
Replace plugs and wires...drive away
the rods bend real quick in my experience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts