Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I know a few of you have the BCM Gunfighter charging handles. What Mod do you have and how do you like it? I have larger than normal hands and have been thinking about the Mod 4 (medium) one. Are they worth the price?

2. Anyone have an AFG (or really any sort of vertical type foregrip) on a MOE handguard? How do you like it? If so can you post a pic or two of it. I have been thinking about getting the AFG2 for mine.

Thanks for the input guys. I have a few purchases that I want to make in the next few months, and your responses will help me decide which to get first. (Night sights for the XD and a StrikeFire reddot are also on the list).

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have both the charging handles, and prefer the longer one. And I think they are definitely worth the price. If I were trying to get a build going as cheap as possible, I might would save that part for later though, as it obviously is not necessary.

can't help you with the AFG.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
The Mod 4 is perfect.
The AFG was meant for longer handguards. You won't see a benefit on a carbine length HG.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you want to realize the full potential of a BCM gunfighter, combine it with a Magpul BAD
I'm not sure I need the BAD right now, not doing a lot of tactical stuff. I just wanted a more positive feel on the charging handle. I know there are other "extensions" I can get, but have heard there are issues with the roll pin in the standard handle.

The AFG was meant for longer handguards. You won't see a benefit on a carbine length HG.
I have a middy, if that makes a significant difference. (I don't think it really does). Again, just looking for a little more to grab onto I guess.

Thanks for the input already guys, keep it coming!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I like my AFG2 on my 14.5" but it's near the end of the rail.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
cant help you with the charging handle

I have an AFG2, although mvician may disagree, I like it right where it is on mine, though I have it on a free float tube

sorry for the crappy pic

I like mine right about there but without the nub.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have the AFG on another rifle and like it. It puts the hand in a more comfortable, natural position for firing off-hand. Its on a rail so I can't comment on putting it on a MOE handguard.

·
Registered
224 Posts
quite a few of my buddies and i use the bcm gunfighter and love it. it allows one handed operation of the charging handle if you have your irons folded down or run a optic that interferes with conventional charging handles. as far as the afg my roommate runs one on his carbine but to use it to the full potential it needs to be on a middy or rifle length so you can really pull the rifle in to your shoulder. i personally run the moe vertical grip but i do not actually hold the grip itself, i use it sort of as stopping point for my forward hand. kind of like a memory spot if that makes any sense. hope some of this helps. by the way we all use the largest latch available, forget what model that is.

·
Registered
839 Posts
-I love the BCM charging handle (I have a MOD 4 BTW)...100% improvement from stock, especially if doing a modified version of SPORTS. The one hand charging is great...

-The B.A.D (or others like it) is literally one of the best things to come out for an AR in quite some time. If there was one thing I suggest you get, it would be this, no question about it. It completely transforms how you use an AR and being able to leave you hand in the firing position at all times is amazing...you also do not have to "smack" the bolt release when replacing a magazine thus screwing up your sight picture...

-I don't buy into the AFG...some like it, I don't. Having my friggen arm extended out like that is just plain awkward for me. People are constantly coming out with the "next big thing" in gunfighting and sometimes they hit the nail on the head (B.A.D)...sometimes they don't (AFG). Give me a stubby front vert grip so I don't have to put my hand on the magazine well and I'm good.

If you get one thing, make it the B.A.D...I'm not kidding, it's that good. Second would be the BCM charging handle...if you want pure magic, put the two together...

·
Registered
99 Posts
my BMC charging handle was by far my best purchase. I have bigger fingers and the standard billet handle was impossible. One handed operation is flawless. Was debating exchanging the latches to but at $20+ and the chance of cracking/bending roll pins I spent the $45 on the BMC.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The BCM Gunfighter is a must have. I have the MOD 4 and love it.

As for the the AFG/ MOE handgaurd combo. I was running that set up for less than a month before I took the AFG off. It wasn't or me.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I like the large gunfighter charging handle, wear gloves though, it can pinch.

I like the MOE short vertical front grip mounted right by my magazine well, like this:

Magpul MVG – MOE Vertical Grip - BLACK

It's a personal preference. Pick one and play with it until you find what is commfortable for you.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I like the large gunfighter charging handle, wear gloves though, it can pinch.

I like the MOE short vertical front grip mounted right by my magazine well, like this:

Magpul MVG – MOE Vertical Grip - BLACK

It's a personal preference. Pick one and play with it until you find what is commfortable for you.
That's basically how I run mine too. I don't grip it like a broom handle, I simply pull the weapon closer to my body by cupping my hand around it. That frees up my thumb on the left hand for working something like a side mounted weapon light.

Years ago I would use the magazine well when doing CQB type of drills, this was good but once quad rails and front grips started becoming available, I switched to them (on other rifles). Once I finally got my own AR, I immediately went to to that setup.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I have the B.A.D. with a Medium sized BCM charging handle. Works wonderfully. The B.A.D. decreases reload time for me and doesnt mess with my sight picture, and the BCM makes corrective actions much easier. I have totally missed the original sized latch several times doing drills :rolleyes: Large hands and such....

I had a AFG and sold it... didnt really work too well on my 16'' barrel. For a 20'' though it would probably be different, idk.

I also use a Knights Armament broomstick; for some reason I just like it better than using the mag well. It also puts my hand forward enough to activate my surefire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts