Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a BCM lower for awhile on another AR and was impressed with it so I decided to check out their new keymod uppers. I purchased the first one with the 10" keymod rail (foliage green bottom AR)and put an Aimpoint Pro on it. The second one has the 13" keymod rail (FDE upper AR) and I added the new Burris XTR II 1-5 with a Bobro mount.

The first thing I noticed with both rifles is how much lighter they are than my non-keymod rifles. The 13" keymod rifle weighs 7.8 lbs, as shown, and the 10" keymod weighs 6.7 lbs. The balance on the 10" keymod with the Aimpoint Pro is IMHO, perfect.

A bit about the scopes. I never understood why I needed a red dot scope until I shot using the Aimpoint. I was absolutely amazed that the bullet went where the red dot was pointed regardless of my cheek weld and head orientation. I still don't know how or why it works but it does. The Burris XTR II 1-5 has really good clarity and a great reticle for it's intended use, 50-200 yard shooting.

A note about the different triggers. The 13" keymod has the standard BCM USGI trigger and the 10" keymod has the Geissele SSA. While the USGI trigger is good (smooth and not gritty), it is no Geissele. The Geissele has a lighter feel and a crisper break. I'm thinking the 13" keymod will be getting an upgrade soon.

Both rifles have the lightweight BFH barrels, BCM Compensator Mod 1, Gunfighter charging handle, and BCM BCG. The 13" keymod has the BCM QD sling mount and the 10" keymod has the IWC QD sling mount.

Most importantly, both rifles have been flawless using Lake City XM855 and PMC XTAC 62 gr. The BCM compensator has a bit more side concussion than the standard birdcage but it does help defeat muzzle rise.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Nice set up. I'm debating about picking up a BCM upper as they have some excellent clearance sales on uppers right now. How do you like the BCM Comp Mod 1?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice set up. I'm debating about picking up a BCM upper as they have some excellent clearance sales on uppers right now. How do you like the BCM Comp Mod 1?

I really like the BCM Comp Mod 1. It does what it is advertised to do, negates muzzle rise. The folks at BCM also did a good job pinning it, nice and clean. It does have a little more side concussion than the standard bird cage flash hider but that is only noticeable out to the sides of the rifle, not behind it. BCM is having some really good sales right now if you are in the market for an upper.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Midwest Keymod rail here. Installed it myself. I chopped the front sight post and shaved the gas block down. Scope is a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 in an ADM mount. Combined with a light profile barrel you're right. This thing is light.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Nice looking rifles fellas. Just picked up a BCM lower and looking to pick up one of their 16" mid-length uppers.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Where are you guys getting your BCM lowers from? My next build is mostly definitely going to be an all BCM BHF with the 13" Keymod.

Oh, and OP---nice rifles! :p

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I just picked up one of their 14.5 uppers with a pinned BCM Mod 1 Comp and the 12" Centurion rails. It was a Blem for $549 but I'll be damned if I can find the blem.

Have not got sights on it yet or shot it, so I can't say for sure, but every other piece of BCM gear I have ( 1upper, 2 lowers, numerous charging handles, and parts) has worked perfectly.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I just picked up one of their 14.5 uppers with a pinned BCM Mod 1 Comp and the 12" Centurion rails. It was a Blem for $549 but I'll be damned if I can find the blem.

Have not got sights on it yet or shot it, so I can't say for sure, but every other piece of BCM gear I have ( 1upper, 2 lowers, numerous charging handles, and parts) has worked perfectly.

I saw that advertised....smoking deal. That's the mid-length right? My BCM middy is smoooooth. It's like therapy just listening to that spring punch back and forth.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you guys getting your BCM lowers from? My next build is mostly definitely going to be an all BCM BHF with the 13" Keymod.

Oh, and OP---nice rifles! :p

Thanks. I got the lowers from G and R Tactical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts