Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
said Wednesday it is changing its ways after an audit showed that the agency
was losing guns and laptops, often through carelessness.

According to a Justice Department audit released Wednesday, the inspector
general reported the ATF was unable to account for 76 weapons and 418
laptops over the past five years.

The report said the rate of loss had tripled since the last audit was
conducted by the ATF's then-parent agency, the Treasury Department.

"It is especially troubling that ATF's rate of loss for weapons was nearly
double that of the FBI and DEA," the report said.

ATF Director Michael Sullivan said he agreed with most of the report's
findings.

"We are revising our procedures of reporting losses of weapons or laptops,"
Sullivan said.

Of the 76 missing weapons, 35 were stolen from agents' homes, hotel rooms or
vehicles, the report said. Some of the others were left in public places or
lost in shipping -- or their losses were still unexplained.

Two of the stolen guns were used to commit crimes, the report said. One was
used to shoot through the window of a residence, and the other was recovered
from suspects arrested on burglary charges.

The inspector general determined that 53 percent of the weapon losses were
the result of employees' carelessness or failure to follow ATF policies.

Of the 418 laptops, 50 were reported stolen.

The report said that in most cases, it was not clear whether the missing
laptops contained sensitive or classified information. Seven did; 13 did
not.

"ATF could not provide adequate information" about the contents of the other
398, the report said, and therefore, "ATF could not assess what damage these
losses could have had on ATF's operations or national security."

Few, if any, of the missing laptops had the data encrypted, according to the
report.

The ATF has nearly 5,000 agents, more than 7,500 laptops and more than
22,000 weapons, the report said.

all i can say is that this is hysterical the guys that are suppose to make protect us from criminals obtaining guns can't even keep up with their own weapons.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
all i can say is that this is hysterical the guys that are suppose to make protect us from criminals obtaining guns can't even keep up with their own weapons.
I don't see too much humor here (not saying that you are laughing about it either). And the laptops being stolen or lost concerns me more than the guns. I cringe every time I hear about a laptop that has been lost or stolen with sensitive data on it. Is any of that data civilian data? Is it names/addresses/ss numbers of people who have applied for tax stamps or licenses?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I don't see too much humor here (not saying that you are laughing about it either). And the laptops being stolen or lost concerns me more than the guns. I cringe every time I hear about a laptop that has been lost or stolen with sensitive data on it. Is any of that data civilian data? Is it names/addresses/ss numbers of people who have applied for tax stamps or licenses?
Uh, you can't see the irony and thus the humor behind it? :neutral:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Im not laughing that there are guns and lap tops missing i find it hysterical that these are the guys that think that the rest of us need savings from our self and that they need to check us out and make sure we are responsible people yet they can't even keep track of their own guns

I am not saying that i don't ever leave a gun in my car but i have a gun box bolted under my seat with a push button combo that way should I actually go some place that requires that i not wear my weapon i can secure it safely,

now mind you what reason would these guys have for leaving a weapon in the car, the have badges and credentials so they are allowed to carry their weapon pretty much so everywhere they go.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
i find it hysterical that these are the guys that think that the rest of us need savings from our self and that they need to check us out and make sure we are responsible people yet they can't even keep track of their own guns
Got it. That IS pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
If a gun shop were as careless with guns as the BATFE is, the BATFE would shut them down and sodomize the managers of the shop to death.

Hypocrisy is a dish best served from a government agency.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Can we arrest the head officials and charge them with 76 counts of illegal firearm distribution??

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Again? or is this a repeat news story?

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Sounds like we should all write our Reps, Senators, and President (or future President) and tell them that they should begin investigating the ATF. This is something that has never been done and long overdue.

Besides it'd be good for the public to see how much public money is wasted to shutdown a gunshop because customers wrote Y instead of Yes on their 4473s.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
418 laptops lost by 5,000 agents.

That means that 8.4% of their agents have lost a laptop.

That's pretty high.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Sadly I don't think most of these weapons/laptops were actually lost or stolen. Corruption is in every branch of govt and I see no reason to think otherwise for the ATF. Really? Are we expected to believe that an ATF agent accidentally left a fully auto M4 leaning against the wall in a shopping mall?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
If a gun shop were as careless with guns as the BATFE is, the BATFE would shut them down and sodomize the managers of the shop to death.
You're damn right they would. If you even have 1 ONE firearm unaccounted for, you're screwed. I bet if you lost 76, you'd be facing 76 different counts that the sentence would run concurrently WHEN you're convicted. If even 1 of them of them were used in a crime, you'd probably even be faced with reckless endangerment, civil penalties, and lawsuits out of the ying/yang.

You'd be one screwed pooch for sure.

Why are they not as accountable as anyone else? Maybe a little taste of their own medicine is what they need. I'm all for contacting my Senators and Reps. I think I'll do that this weekend.

T.J., do you have a direct link?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts