Springfield XD Forum banner
121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
Greetings!

In an effort to stop dropping my magazines all over the place, I recently ordered a couple of kydex mag carriers from Concealment Express. I like their holster so much I thought I give their magazine holders a try.

I ordered one IWB/OWB carrier: https://www.concealmentexpress.com/...cts/kydex-single-magazine-holster-mag-carrier
I also ordered one OWB horizontal carrier: https://www.concealmentexpress.com/...roducts/horizontal-owb-kydex-magazine-holster

They are fairly generic in that you have to order only a double stack or single stack size in 9mm/.40 or .45. They are assembled so that you can relocate the clip for right or left side. Each carrier comes with an allen wrench to adjust the retention and a sticker! (I like stickers.)

You also see one of my "old" soft mag carriers, cheap $12 units. The new kydex units were $30.

The FOMI clip on this one is a bit fiddly to attach to my belt IWB. That could be because it's brand new and stiff.

As you can see from the clip placement, the kydex carrier will ride a little bit higher than the soft carrier.

You can adjust the retention so that it stays put but comes out when you want it to. The allen screw pushes a plastic wedge onto the flat side of the magazine.

This is the horizontal holder. I haven't decided where I'm going to wear this one yet, forward or backward, left side or right side. I got this one to experiment with.

The IWB mag holder is surprisingly comfortable with its smooth edges. It rides higher so that my leg does not push up on it when bending. The top of the magazine is higher, closer to my rib cage, but hopefully will not print badly.

I'm going to take some measurements and order some DCC clips for my new mag holders, like I have on my holster. These DCC clips are great, easy to attach and detach to your belt but grips the belt well and won't pull off.

OK, one more glam shot. :ROFLMAO:

I'm happy with this mag holder for my EDC. I'm sure I'll really love it once I install the DCC clips. I'll probably use the horizontal holder at the range when carrying more than one holder to practice reloading drills and such. I'll let you know how it works out. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
Greetings my friends,

I've got a lot to ramble about this evening. This week I had another close encounter while carrying. It was nothing really exciting, just a visit to my ophthalmologist for a checkup on my eye surgery. Whenever someone looks at me that closely I feel like this.

To be sure, I checked myself in the mens room mirror before I saw the doctor.

OK, so far, so good. I'm sitting in the examining room. The nurse is going to numb my eyes to take pressure readings then the doctor is going to have a close look.

OK, I got this. I'm cool.

The doctor did his thing, said everything looked good. After work I came home to my free gift from the NRA. Oh goodie! Another range bag.

Then the next day my DCC clips came for my new mag carriers. That Dark Star Gear muzzle pad I purchased a couple months ago, thinking I'd find a use for it. Hey! I got another sticker too!

I used the existing fasteners to replace the FOMI clips with the DCC clips on my new IWB and horizontal mag holders.

While I'm experimenting, I used the small end of this muzzle pad to make the IWB carrier a little more comfy.

I cut the pad and the stick-on velcro with heavy scissors and put them in place. It's a little bit ugly, but functional.

Now I can carry two magazines without stuffing all that gear in my waistband. The horizontal carrier still conceals well too. The pad on the IWB carrier tilts the top of the magazine a little closer to my body, much like the muzzle pad on my holster.

I thought I'd put on a t-shirt for these pictures since it's not as white as my belly. :ROFLMAO:

These carries have adjustable retention so I don't have to worry about dropping these mags at an inopportune moment like my soft carriers did. Sure, it takes me three magazines to carry as much ammo as most of you carry with two. But that's the way it is here in the Golden State. Along with the sunshine, there's gotta be a little rain sometime. ;)

I'm a fan of these DCC clips. My thanks to Mr. @TSiWRX for giving me the scoop. I'm hoping to get out to the range on Saturday and practice with all my new gear. There is a Skill Builder Workshop at a local outdoor range twice a month. I'm going to hit a few of those classes. I'll let you know. Thanks for putting up with me.

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Lookin' good there, Rock Star! ;)

Out of curiosity, have you by any chance tried flipping the magazines so that they face the other way?

I'm not a stickler for "bullets forward" - or "backward,' as you have them for that matter: just whatever is good for that unique shooter.

Just wondering if you gave the other way a try.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Hi,

Thanks for stopping by. :)

Out of curiosity, have you by any chance tried flipping the magazines so that they face the other way?
I've experimented a bit. I like to pull the magazines out and have them oriented properly so that I can shove them into the mag well without looking at them or thinking about it. They are faced so that when I grab them and bring them up to the gun, the bullets are facing forward. I don't want to waste time flipping my magazines around, or shove the magazine in backwards. 😱 😳

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
^ Some folks are like you - their wrist/elbow/shoulder work in a way that's just somewhat different versus what's more typical, and "bullets backward" like you have yours works better.

Most prefer a "bullets forward" orientation, especially as they push towards the 12 (at which point they'll orient the bullets toward the strong side - you can see this in some competition rigs).

Some are militant about this, but for me, it's about what works best/better for that unique shooter: and as long as they are consistent with it (i.e. that it withstands the test of pressure/time), then it's all good. :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 · (Edited)
Hi,

^ Some folks are like you - their wrist/elbow/shoulder work in a way that's just somewhat different versus what's more typical, and "bullets backward" like you have yours works better.

Most prefer a "bullets forward" orientation, especially as they push towards the 12 (at which point they'll orient the bullets toward the strong side - you can see this in some competition rigs).

Some are militant about this, but for me, it's about what works best/better for that unique shooter: and as long as they are consistent with it (i.e. that it withstands the test of pressure/time), then it's all good. :)
I didn't know this was a big controversy. :D

It's the way I first learned and have always practiced. With my mag carrier(s) on my left side I grab it with my left hand, thumb forward. When I bring my hand up, the bullets are facing forward. With "bullets forward" in my carriers I would have to turn my wrist so that my thumb is pointing rearwards in order to grab the mag and bring it up with the bullets forward. To me it just seems like wasted motion. I suppose it depends on how you've been taught, practiced, and trained. At the range I've practiced with several mag holders at around 9, 8, and 7 o'clock, bullets backwards. It works for me. My EDC mag is at 10 o'clock.

Am I doing everything bass-ackwards? :unsure:

Speaking of my new EDC mag holder, it's been a bit fiddly getting on and off and didn't feel snug enough. So I rearranged the fasteners.

I put the DCC clip under the big rubber washers. I had to widen the slots on the clip just a little to fit the fasteners. Now it holds better to the belt, more stable, and is closer to my body. I may have to re-think the pad at the bottom. My current solution is not stable. The pad wants to pull off too easily. I'll continue the adventure. ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
^ Nah, don't worry about the bullets forward/backward too much. :) It really is just how the unique shooter's body articulates.

I really wanted to keep everything consistent with bullets-forward when I started on the AR, but the way my body articulates, I'm much more efficient bullets-backwards ("beer can grip") on the AR magazines....and this is actually the way that most shooters index AR mags.

I just wanted to bring it up with you for discussion, that's all. :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Hi,

Just for grins and giggles, here's what my rig looks like locked in my vehicle safe. I am the King of Kydex. :ROFLMAO:

Product Bag Luggage and bags Rectangle Font

BassCliff

121 - 128 of 128 Posts