Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello boys and girls!

We've added a new segment to our show called "BassCliff's Noob EDC Adventures", but I guess you already know that. Since this old noob has recently received his hard-earned CCW cert here in the Golden State, he has begun to carry every day and everywhere he can. The old noob will show you just how a noob does it. He expects you to let him know when he's doing it wrong, when he's doing it right, and how he could do it better. Feel free to instruct, recommend, berate, make fun of, and otherwise have your way with this old noob. He and others like him are here to learn. Perhaps someone can learn from the old noob's bad examples.

I decided to begin my CCW adventure with some Hornady Critical Defense. I've got two full mags and one in the chamber for a total of twenty one. That's a new Concealment Express holster.

I have five magazines but only three holders. I figure this is a good start for self-defense.

I received my CCW in the mail on a Friday. Saturday I had an event to attend. Let's play a little game. Is BassCliff carrying?

Well, of course he is! That was the whole point, right?

Note: I soon replaced that FOMI clip with a DCC clip, which I like much better. It holds more firmly and it's easier to attach and remove the holster from the Daltech Force gunbelt. I stopped on the way to the event to get an energy drink. This was the very first building in which I carried that was not my home. Nobody noticed. I suppose that's the point.

At this event I had to lift and carry some gear. I learned that you definitely have to make allowances in body posture, motions, and positions when you've got a 4" service model in a kydex AIWB. At the event I had to us the little shootist's room. I found an unoccupied stall and, rather than having everything hanging out, placed my goods on the shelf while I did my tinkle.

I suppose if there would not have been a shelf I would've made do with everything hanging from my belt. Any suggestions here?

The next day I went to church and then my family took me out for large amounts of sushi for Father's Day. This old Cuba Vera shirt doesn't print but when I practiced later that evening I discovered this garment sort of gets in the way when drawing. This will not be one of my "carry" shirts.

Even at home I take advantage of the furniture to hold my gear when I utilize the facilities. I used the leather holster that day, trying to practice with and get used to both.

For now I'm finding that the Relentless Tactical leather holster conceals a bit better mostly because it sits lower on my belt line. It makes the draw not quite as effortless when practicing. I'll probably use this holster when I need better concealment and more comfort. For now, the leather is more comfortable than the kydex. I'm working on the kydex to make it more comfy and concealable, clips, pad, maybe a claw.

For Father's Day my dear Mrs. BassCliff gave me five new shirts she thought would be good for my EDC adventures. They are pretty nice shirts and just baggy enough. I have a feeling that the striped shirt will be my favorite. The solid colors will tend to show the printing.

I wore one of my new shirts on Monday. It looks OK here as long as I stand up straight.

However, I must take care not to twist in any odd positions.

I'm sure a darker shirt would be less noticeable too. Being that Monday is usually one of my ammo hunting and gathering days, I made my way over to my "Monday Big 5". I picked up a few boxes of ammo, chatted with another 2A enthusiast in line, flirted a little with the ammo angel who was behind the counter. Then I went next door to the Dollar Tree to buy more energy drinks. Nobody noticed! Nobody called the cops! Woo hoo!

So far, so good. After my ammo run I had a doctor's appointment. I knew I'd have to drop my pants in the doctor's office so I locked up my goods in the Hornady lock box in my truck.

A couple things I learned at this point: I need to use a piece of Gorilla Tape on the fob at the end of the security cable to hold it in place. When I open the box the cable falls out and it's a bit fiddly getting it to stay in when I close/lock the box. Also, put your key on a separate ring so that you don't have to jingle a big bunch of keys when opening and closing the lockbox. FYI, it's legal here to leave your firearm in your vehicle as long as it's locked up in an approved security container. It has to be aftermarket, not a locked glove box or center console.

I picked up a couple more tips when researching this EDC stuff. When I re-holster, especially with this leather, take a step back with your right foot to get your hip out of the way, keep the muzzle pointed away from you as you stick it in the holster, use the back of the slide to push it in the holster rather than putting your thumb on the grip safety.

And there you have it; The fist episode of BassCliff's Noob EDC Adventures. Join us next week when BassCliff tries to make his kydex holster more comfortable. Maybe we'll talk about CCW insurance. Thanks for watching!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Epilogue: Don't worry, I won't take a picture of every place I visit. But I'll be back with questions and observations. I hope you'll share the fun with me. Take care and God bless.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Congratulations! You are definitely persistent, considering all those California hoops you had to jump through to get your CCW license. You are adapting quickly. It took me several months of concealed carry to feel really comfortable with it. Although I knew it was well hidden, subconsciously I always felt like everyone knew. Truth is, no one notices and they definitely aren't looking for gun anyway.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Congrats on beginning the lifestyle!'

Rest assured that soon, this will all be second-nature. (y)

I have five magazines but only three holders. I figure this is a good start for self-defense.
Five is Larry Vickers' recommendation as a minimum for a "serious" gun, for duty or defensive use.

That said, I would encourage you increase this number to twice that as soon as possible, given today's political climate as well as the fact that you do practice/train more than the average bear. :)

Mags wear and take damage during normal use. The spring cycles, and the base-plate and follower can both crack/deform. The feed-lips may take damage from a hard drop or simply spread during use...while this latter, along with the wear of the spring from cycling (loading/unloading of the mag) are likely a long way off in the future for you, should you be unlucky enough to have a magazine that isn just faulty from the factory, that wear may come much earlier than expected.

Magazines are and should be treated as disposable wear items. Much like the tires on your vehicle, you want the best that you can afford, but you know that every mile you drive just puts you closer to that next set. ;)

I stopped on the way to the event to get an energy drink. This was the very first building in which I carried that was not my home. Nobody noticed. I suppose that's the point.
;)(y)🤩

At this event I had to lift and carry some gear. I learned that you definitely have to make allowances in body posture, motions, and positions

<snip>

I wore one of my new shirts on Monday. It looks OK here as long as I stand up straight.

However, I must take care not to twist in any odd positions.

I'm sure a darker shirt would be less noticeable too.
Colors, patterns/prints, fit/cut, material, etc. You'll find that these considerations will all intermix and various aspects may matter more/less between static positions (various forms of standing, taking a knee/squatting, sitting, etc.) and during dynamic movement (i.e. during the actual act of transitioning between the above positions, as well as twisting, reaching, bending over, etc. - all of which you will do at some time or another during the course of an average day.

But like many members have mentioned to you in various of your posts on the Forum, vast majority of the time, no-one will even notice. From there, a significant portion of those who may notice will just assume it to be your cell phone (or even pager - yes, there's still people who know what those are and are still actively using them). A select number of those who do notice are other concealed carriers....of which a subset, unfortunately, may be higher-level threats. The final set of those who may notice are law-enforcement, but typically, for many of this particular subset who notice, they will pick up on other cues which will given them the vibe that you are a "good guy."

Here's some good resources, from varying points-of-view:

As with anything else, none of these articles are perfect in and of themselves, but it helps paint a decent overall picture, when taken together. :)

I found an unoccupied stall and, rather than having everything hanging out, placed my goods on the shelf while I did my tinkle.

<snip>

I suppose if there would not have been a shelf I would've made do with everything hanging from my belt. Any suggestions here?

<snip>

Even at home I take advantage of the furniture to hold my gear when I utilize the facilities.
Using a shelf or the like is always OK, but be sure to arm-up as you leave. This is very often how unattended guns are found - often of armed security or law-enforcement agents, after they've been to the toilet.

Many, including myself, prefer to simply "flop" the gun -still holstered- inside the pants.

IWB typically facilitates this more than OWB, but OWB can be done. With a stiffer belt, OWB, it will help to position one's short/pants, versus trying to "bend" the belt itself - which is the same if you carry without a belt or if you have a concealment solution that fastens the holster to the pants/shorts waistband instead.

Some also like to re-fasten the belt after taking off one's pants/shorts.

This old Cuba Vera shirt doesn't print but when I practiced later that evening I discovered this garment sort of gets in the way when drawing. This will not be one of my "carry" shirts.

<snip>

For Father's Day my dear Mrs. BassCliff gave me five new shirts she thought would be good for my EDC adventures. They are pretty nice shirts and just baggy enough. I have a feeling that the striped shirt will be my favorite. The solid colors will tend to show the printing.
As I wrote before, colors, patterns/prints, fit/cut, material, etc. You'll find that these considerations will all intermix and various aspects may matter more/less between static positions (various forms of standing, taking a knee/squatting, sitting, etc.) and during dynamic movement (i.e. during the actual act of transitioning between the above positions, as well as twisting, reaching, bending over, etc. - all of which you will do at some time or another during the course of an average day.

Until you really have a lot of direct, personal experience, it'll be difficult to guess.

It's kinda like shopping for a gun: until you've done it enough, you don't really know if the gun will "feel comfortable" to you until you've picked it up.

Don't worry, this is just time-on-task.

But keep in mind that should your body build change (to say the least of clothing style changes), you'll likely have to compensate for this as time goes on.

And now _that _ said....

As you noted, some pieces of clothing will be harder -or even impossible- to draw from. Similarly, other pieces of clothing, such as gloves, can cause yet other issues (i.e., with my XDms, I find that my thickest pair of winter gloves causes me to be unable to reliably disengage the grip safety).

The only way to know is unfortunately to, as you've done, vet the setup for yourself, first-hand.

For me, I short-cut this step by training and practicing in what I wear 99.5% of the time, as I typically do not have to appear fashionable (I'm an academic research scientist, so we're allowed to be sloppy and eccentric, most of the time), and am too old -and married- to need to worry about the same. 😬 :ROFLMAO: If you searched up my pictures here on this Forum and others, you'll see that my clothing was literally the same over the interval of several years. In each case, I would "retire" the older, more worn or accidentally damaged pieces to training/practice use, while reserving copies of the same for actual daily wear. By having a base of consistency, I was able to cheat most of this concern.

I've always loved this scene from the BBC series "Luther" -

When he was suspected of impropriety by his fellow detectives, they searched his home, and one of his colleagues commented on the implications of the man's frame-of-mind, upon seeing a wardrobe of nearly identical clothing.

Black shirt, blue jeans, black ballcap. I have more variety in footwear and gloves. :ROFLMAO:

For now I'm finding that the Relentless Tactical leather holster conceals a bit better mostly because it sits lower on my belt line. It makes the draw not quite as effortless when practicing. I'll probably use this holster when I need better concealment and more comfort. For now, the leather is more comfortable than the kydex. I'm working on the kydex to make it more comfy and concealable, clips, pad, maybe a claw.
Yup, it's about tweaking - and then earnestly practicing and training.

There's going to be compromises, and it's about understanding where your unique needs align with what compromises you are willing to make.

Feel free to instruct, recommend, berate, make fun of, and otherwise have your way with this old noob.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Congrats on beginning the lifestyle!'

Rest assured that soon, this will all be second-nature. (y)

<snip>

Many, including myself, prefer to simply "flop" the gun -still holstered- inside the pants.

<snip>

Yup, it's about tweaking - and then earnestly practicing and training.

There's going to be compromises, and it's about understanding where your unique needs align with what compromises you are willing to make.
Thanks! Yes, it's like OJT. I appreciate all the linked resources. I will chew my way thought those.

It makes so much sense to "flop" your gear inside your pants when you tinkle. The gear will be more stable and secure while you do your business. Brilliant! :D

I'll continue to test, tweak, practice until it does become second nature. You noticed that I made an ammo run today. There's something satisfying about wearing your firearm into the store to by more ammo.

Today I tried the leather and the kydex holsters and they both looked about the same so I stuck with the kydex today just to switch things up. I think the plaid does a good job to avoid printing.

I tell you what, even just getting up in my truck takes a different motion. I have to swing my leg so as to avoid a kydex pinch. Hopefully that will be less noticeable once I tweak this holster some more.

My truck is not that high, no lift kit or anything, but I do have to step up into it just a little. Even picking up anything off the floor uses different mechanics so as not to reveal or pinch or rub, etc. It's a fun little challenge just thinking ahead about what will work and what won't.

This evening I'm working in a little dive bar. I can't take my firearm into the bar. That's no-no. I'll put it in my lockbox, cabled to the frame, hidden in the truck, just like they told me to in CCW class. I will also look into more secure storage for my vehicle. What I have now is just the state required minimums. I'd rather spend money on ammo, but ammo won't do me any good if someone steals my pistol. :p

I was really hoping my muzzle pads would come in the mail today. This holster sure could use them. Until then, this has been another episode of "BassCliff's Noob EDC Adventures". Thank you for your support. Good night and God bless.

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ur fine, my friend. Trust me, no one is watching u. Anyone watching before u started to carry, no. I believe everyone who starts to carry thinks they stick out like a sore thumb…..but u don’t. Carry on….no biggie.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alert!

We interrupt this interruption with an important interruption!

As I was sitting here in my home office working remotely, getting annoyed at the "hot spot" on this Concealment Express IWB kydex holster, I thought I'd try an experiment.

These are stick-on felt pads you've all seen. We use them on the bottom of our furniture legs so it doesn't scratch the hardwood floors in our house. I used two, cut one in half for the different levels, and used a whole one on the main muzzle part.

I am amazed at how much difference these cheap little felt dots make. The "hot spot" is gone and comfort is muchly improved. Here's a closer look.

I hope you'll forgive my noob enthusiasm but I like tweaking stuff to make it work better. This makes it work better. I'll replace these with the Dark Gear muzzle pads that should be here any day but for now, I'm walking on air. :D

BassCliff

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Ur fine, my friend. Trust me, no one is watching u. Anyone watching before u started to carry, no. I believe everyone who starts to carry thinks they stick out like a sore thumb…..but u don’t. Carry on….no biggie.
I totally agree. I observe how unobservant most people are most of the time. I've read a couple of humorous, but serious articles about what it feels like the first time you carry. It will take some getting used to until I'm not self-conscious about it and concealing become part of my muscle memory. Thank you for your encouragement.

I'm still having to remind myself not to "adjust" anything when I can be seen. I've learned to just grin and bear it until I'm alone if I have to move something around. ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
As most have said before me, no one notices even though you feel like everyone does. The first month or so I caught myself adjusting my shirt constantly thinking I was hanging out, and turned out I was just drawing more attention to myself. Buddy yelled at me one day to knock that off, and explained to me how much I was drawing attention to it and I finally stopped. It was actually one night my parents were out visiting that really showed me how unobservant people are. My mom gave me a hug, and I felt her accidentally hit my firearm, as she’s much shorter than me and I carry between 3 and 4 o’clock depending on where the belt loops on my shorts are. She didn’t even notice that she had hit something solid…

As for your pissing issue, I’m a boxer guy, and just unzip and piss without undoing my belt. Less on/off is much less chances for stupid stuff to happen. Like an ad or forgetting it or other dumb stuff. Just a thought..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I try to carry an XD sub compact if I am going to stoop a lot, even the 45 at 3.3" is a noticeable difference then and the 3" 40 S&W or 9MM even better. I often carry a Taurus G2C in 40 S&W that is a 3.2" barrel, but I own a XD40 SC, two of them actually, great handling guns. Short barrels means short holsters, means comfort.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I try to carry an XD sub compact if I am going to stoop a lot, even the 45 at 3.3" is a noticeable difference then and the 3" 40 S&W or 9MM even better. I often carry a Taurus G2C in 40 S&W that is a 3.2" barrel, but I own a XD40 SC, two of them actually, great handling guns. Short barrels means short holsters, means comfort.
^ For some, because of the way their bodies are built and/or the simple subjective nature of the word "comfort," less holster below the beltline does translate into more/better comfort.

However, it does have to be counterbalanced by the fact that the "keel effect" is very real, and that depending other gun (i.e. a heavy double-stacker format) and potentially even gun/gear factors (i.e. belt construct and/or tension), this "short keel" setup can potentially decrease rig stability.

Alert!

We interrupt this interruption with an important interruption!

As I was sitting here in my home office working remotely, getting annoyed at the "hot spot" on this Concealment Express IWB kydex holster, I thought I'd try an experiment.

These are stick-on felt pads you've all seen. We use them on the bottom of our furniture legs so it doesn't scratch the hardwood floors in our house. I used two, cut one in half for the different levels, and used a whole one on the main muzzle part.
Yup! (y)

Don't be afraid to self-modify. Some of the first "wedges" came from drug-store foot-care isles!

My big areas of concern are that the trigger guard remains intact (I'm a proponent of the modern method of full trigger protection) and that whatever I do to the holster does not adversely affect safety. Other than that, I'm a total hack. 😬

And towards that.....

I tell you what, even just getting up in my truck takes a different motion. I have to swing my leg so as to avoid a kydex pinch. Hopefully that will be less noticeable once I tweak this holster some more.
Again - double yup. (y)

My acid-tests are the Asian-squat (er....I'm first generation, so despite being quite overweight, I can still rice-paddy like the best of the breed....:ROFLMAO:) and a low-mid front snap kick.

The latter is the more serious test, and it's because I favor a 2 to 2:30-ish clocking - combined with my core belief that as an average law-abiding citizen, the fight that I am most likely to face will most likely spark off at extremely close distances: that's it's likely going to be a physical fight before it becomes a gunfight. That "get off me" kick goes all the way back to my single-digit-of-life days, and is such an ingrained response that I really would be a fool to not try to keep it in the playbook. 🤪 So, if a holster needs some trimming in order to allow that? I'll gladly pull out the Dremel.

^ Not me. :love:

Below is my KT Mech holster pretty much as it arrived to me (ignore the clips [Comp-Tac], focus on the shape/size of the holster body) -

And this is how I've re-shaped it to allow for my carry/movement preferences -

[ ^this was from a while ago, when I was using a EDC2L-T flashlight and with the holster now bearing a combo of the RCS Overhook and Comp-Tac clip combo - you can see how the Overhook has started to spread ]

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

Congratulations! You are definitely persistent, considering all those California hoops you had to jump through to get your CCW license. You are adapting quickly. It took me several months of concealed carry to feel really comfortable with it. Although I knew it was well hidden, subconsciously I always felt like everyone knew. Truth is, no one notices and they definitely aren't looking for gun anyway.
Thank you, sir. Yes, if you are a law-abiding citizen who's been keeping your nose clean, that's about all it takes (in this county at least) to get your CCW, "persistence" and attention to detail. You do have to get all the right paperwork in order, dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's", and be patient. I'm very new at this but I like to think I'm starting to get the hang of it. The thing is, I have to stay humble, calm, cool, and collected, and realize that I'm still learning. There's so much I don't even know that I don't know. I've never been one to toot my own horn or draw attention to myself, unless I'm on stage. Even then, I take the spotlight only when it's my turn and then just support the other performers. But in this case, no, no spotlight on me at all. ;)

Yes, even though I know that I'm revealing nothing, I still find myself glancing at my waist every time the wind blows in my face thinking that the wind is going to blow a print into the front of my shirt. I guess I'll get used to it, and dress accordingly. Thanks for your encouragement. God bless.

BassCliff

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

I appreciate your thoughts.

As most have said before me, no one notices even though you feel like everyone does. The first month or so I caught myself adjusting my shirt constantly thinking I was hanging out, and turned out I was just drawing more attention to myself. Buddy yelled at me one day to knock that off, and explained to me how much I was drawing attention to it and I finally stopped. It was actually one night my parents were out visiting that really showed me how unobservant people are. My mom gave me a hug, and I felt her accidentally hit my firearm, as she’s much shorter than me and I carry between 3 and 4 o’clock depending on where the belt loops on my shorts are. She didn’t even notice that she had hit something solid…

As for your pissing issue, I’m a boxer guy, and just unzip and piss without undoing my belt. Less on/off is much less chances for stupid stuff to happen. Like an ad or forgetting it or other dumb stuff. Just a thought..
Yes, I find myself, probably more often than I should, pulling down on the tail of my shirt thinking that it's bunching up around my pistol and causing a scene. I'll get out of that habit, or fix the wardrobe. So far, none of my friends have noticed so I suppose total strangers will be even more clueless.

Hugging is another thing. I'm a major hugger. And for some reason people like to hug me. (Not a bad thing, I guess.) I like the firm embrace, the full body hug. I'm going to have to get used to the "A-frame" hug or the "side" hug, away from my side arm. Hopefully no one will notice the change in my "hugging habits". :LOL:'

BassCliff

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have not built up my collection enough to have a lot of carry choices. Besides, in this state we have to list a maximum of three carry pistols on our CCW, and that's it. You can carry only the registered pistols on the list you submit, maximum of three. I have only two on my list. Mrs. BassCliff's CW9 with its 3.5" barrel is a bit more concealable than my 4" XD9. But I doubt I'll carry the CW9 that often. We'll see if she lets me. ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,

Thanks for another lesson. ;)

^ For some, because of the way their bodies are built and/or the simple subjective nature of the word "comfort," less holster below the beltline does translate into more/better comfort.

However, it does have to be counterbalanced by the fact that the "keel effect" is very real, and that depending other gun (i.e. a heavy double-stacker format) and potentially even gun/gear factors (i.e. belt construct and/or tension), this "short keel" setup can potentially decrease rig stability.

Yup! (y)

Don't be afraid to self-modify. Some of the first "wedges" came from drug-store foot-care isles!

My big areas of concern are that the trigger guard remains intact (I'm a proponent of the modern method of full trigger protection) and that whatever I do to the holster does not adversely affect safety. Other than that, I'm a total hack. 😬

And towards that.....

Again - double yup. (y)

My acid-tests are the Asian-squat (er....I'm first generation, so despite being quite overweight, I can still rice-paddy like the best of the breed....:ROFLMAO:) and a low-mid front snap kick.

The latter is the more serious test, and it's because I favor a 2 to 2:30-ish clocking - combined with my core belief that as an average law-abiding citizen, the fight that I am most likely to face will most likely spark off at extremely close distances: that's it's likely going to be a physical fight before it becomes a gunfight. That "get off me" kick goes all the way back to my single-digit-of-life days, and is such an ingrained response that I really would be a fool to not try to keep it in the playbook. 🤪 So, if a holster needs some trimming in order to allow that? I'll gladly pull out the Dremel.

^ Not me. :love:

Below is my KT Mech holster pretty much as it arrived to me (ignore the clips [Comp-Tac], focus on the shape/size of the holster body) -

And this is how I've re-shaped it to allow for my carry/movement preferences -

View attachment 842551

[ ^this was from a while ago, when I was using a EDC2L-T flashlight and with the holster now bearing a combo of the RCS Overhook and Comp-Tac clip combo - you can see how the Overhook has started to spread ]
You know, I can't do those moves and I even have a 34" waistline. :ROFLMAO:

I should probably add pepper spray and a good knife to my carry gear. I have several good flashlights. I'll have to get a holder for a light on my belt. I'm still window shopping an IFAK.

I'm getting used to carrying about 1 o'clock. Seems that's where the clip rests next to the belt loop, makes for a good draw, and is comfortable. I'll be sure to go over all this with my instructor in a couple weeks. Thanks for all your insight. :)

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Thanks for another lesson. ;)
Nah - just swappin' stories, :)

I should probably add pepper spray and a good knife to my carry gear. I have several good flashlights. I'll have to get a holder for a light on my belt. I'm still window shopping an IFAK.
That first-aid pouch I am using has supplemental content versus what the manufacturer stuffs it with, but much of it is actually "boo-boo" in nature, which I find is used much, much more frequently. We can go into this in more depth, if you'd like.

The knife should be something that you pursue in-depth based on your state and local laws, as well as on your "mission," per Varg Freeborn. I would additionally really, really recommend that you read through the pertinent sections on it in Varg's Violence of Mind book. As a one-time knife collector as well as someone who has at least had a toe that's been dipped in the waters of using a typical folding pocket-knife in a defensive context (nothing even remotely close to actual regular training, just a few seminars), the implications of this are actually even more concerning (and disconcerting), versus using a firearm in legitimate self-defense.

I'm getting used to carrying about 1 o'clock. Seems that's where the clip rests next to the belt loop, makes for a good draw, and is comfortable. I'll be sure to go over all this with my instructor in a couple weeks.
Yup - tweak and refine over time. To me, there's really no hard rights or wrongs, here...there's a lot of self-vetting that's necessary, and as long as one's honest with themselves and try to quantify data where appropriate, there's a lot of variability that just can't always be accounted for "immediately," and needs incremental adjustments over time.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

That first-aid pouch I am using has supplemental content versus what the manufacturer stuffs it with, but much of it is actually "boo-boo" in nature, which I find is used much, much more frequently. We can go into this in more depth, if you'd like.
You've given me several good recommendations for kits. It's on my list. Today at the range Mrs. BassCliff pinched herself with the slide or something, had a small cut. She asked me if I had a Band-Aid. As a matter of fact, I have several in my backpack, different sizes. She was pleased. ;)

For our plans today I picked another plaid shirt, a dark one. I usually wear this one on stage but it's not overly showy so I thought it would work.

I was fairly certain that I'd be able to carry at the range. According to the sign, I think I'm one of the cool kids now. ;)

After the range was a late lunch then a couple of errands. When I arrived home I found this waiting. It was the "free" Pelican case from USCCA, a new member gift. It's a pretty nice case.

It's got two layers of foam in the top and three layers of foam in the bottom, ready to customize.

I haven't decided how I'm going to use this case yet. I suppose for now I'll use it to haul small amounts of ammo to the range. When I bring my bigger ammo boxes I tend to shoot too much. :p

Let's recap my carry today. Mrs. BassCliff and I had a nice session at the range followed by a late lunch in one of our favorite diners. I dropped off Mrs. BassCliff so I could run errands. I went to two different drug stores. Since one was next door to my by Big 5, I stopped in there to say "Hi" to a couple of folks there whom I've gotten to know over the last year because of my frequent visits. I noticed they still had a few boxes of 9mm polymer space bullets so I bought another box to replace the one we shot today. Cool. The clerk and I chatted about his new XD9, which he hasn't shot yet. We also talked about his AR-15 build. But I digress. I think I'm starting to get used to taking "my friend" with me all the time.

However, at my event last night, because it was in a bar that doesn't serve food, I secured my XD9 in the lockbox of my truck while I was playing. But as soon as I loaded out I was able to strap it back on. The sheriff really frowns upon guns in bars around here. A restaurant that serves alcohol is different, that's OK. Because I work on a school campus I won't be able to carry there either. We do have armed campus police and I don't ever recall a shooting incident on campus. But I digress.

Let's see, maybe tomorrow I'll go to the gas station. :D I know, I'm boring you to tears. I'll try to make this thread interesting so you'll have lots of chances to heckle me.

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
You've given me several good recommendations for kits. It's on my list. Today at the range Mrs. BassCliff pinched herself with the slide or something, had a small cut. She asked me if I had a Band-Aid. As a matter of fact, I have several in my backpack, different sizes. She was pleased. ;)
OK, I will post some humble thoughts of mine for your consideration, in a separate post below. :)

For our plans today I picked another plaid shirt, a dark one. I usually wear this one on stage but it's not overly showy so I thought it would work.

Whoa! Don't most rock-stars start with their shirt ON, and then take it OFF?

;)

I think you coulda concealed a sawed-off shotgun, there, and still have been fine. (y)

I think I'm starting to get used to taking "my friend" with me all the time.
Pretty soon it will start to feel weird when you don't have the gun on you.

However, at my event last night, because it was in a bar that doesn't serve food, I secured my XD9 in the lockbox of my truck while I was playing. But as soon as I loaded out I was able to strap it back on. The sheriff really frowns upon guns in bars around here. A restaurant that serves alcohol is different, that's OK.

Know the law. Obey the law. Good job!

This is The Way.

We went to the trouble and expense to become legally licensed concealed carriers ostensibly because we want to obey the law.

Because I work on a school campus I won't be able to carry there either. We do have armed campus police and I don't ever recall a shooting incident on campus. But I digress.
You've already seen the contents of this video in written form, @BassCliff , due to your participation in certain FB communities, but I thought this would be a great place to bring this into the thread, now that it has been made public:

....so you'll have lots of chances to heckle me.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi!

OK, I will post some humble thoughts of mine for your consideration, in a separate post below. :)
I appreciate that. Thanks for your time. (y) But don't let me monopolize it. I'm sure you have more pressing things to do other than keep me out of trouble. ;)

Whoa! Don't most rock-stars start with their shirt ON, and then take it OFF?
Oops. I forgot to include a disclaimer to warn little old ladies and small children or people who might be eating. :p It won't happen again. :ROFLMAO:

Know the law. Obey the law. Good job!

This is The Way.

We went to the trouble and expense to become legally licensed concealed carriers ostensibly because we want to obey the law.
And if in any situation I'm unfamiliar with carry laws I must defer to caution and leave my gun locked up. I'm still researching and learning the fine points of the local code.

You've already seen the contents of this video in written form, @BassCliff , due to your participation in certain FB communities, but I thought this would be a great place to bring this into the thread, now that it has been made public:

Yes, I did read this story. It's a great reminder not to get cocky and try to slide under the radar, or cut corners, or think "I can get away with it this time". I've put too much time and effort to start down this path. I'd rather not be taken from it. 😧

On that subject, I don't think I'll be wearing this t-shirt when carrying. :oops:

I know, I know. I promised you guys I would not spam my own thread with every little detail. As soon as the "new" wears off I'll start rambling only about truly new, different, or interesting situations. For now it's just another day in paradise. Take care and be safe, y'all.

BassCliff[/quote][/quote]

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
RE: IFAKs - aka "blow-out kits" or "massive bleed kits."

North American Rescue (NAR) offers almost quarterly discounts on their products, the code "STAYSAFE" will work between June 28th through 30th, 2021, for 30% off the items in this section:

The "Class A" kit, with Bleeding Control Dressing option (it will kick up the price by $40) is a great all-round kit and suitable for vehicle-use or at the staging-area in your main range-bag. The utility and value of items such as the SAM Splint, eyewash, and CPR shield should not be overlooked, particularly for civilian applications. That said, I would add to it at least one set of chest seals (NAR carries the HyFin, but the HALO is also highly regarded) to this kit, along with a "space blanket" to help the casualty from hypothermia (both of these are big concerns in the civilian ballistic trauma context). A nasopharyngeal airway (NPA) -with lube- takes up little space, is expensive, and can be quite valuable...but a bit of extra training is needed in its use. Similarly, a chest decompression needle takes up minimal space and adds tremendous value, but it requires much more training - while I would encourage everyone to have one in their main trauma kit, I strongly believe that you should not use it unless you've been trained to do so...and instead should only carry the item as something you can coffer-up to help a trained first-responder, should that need arise. Both of these items are also available from NAR, direct.

Purpose-built kits are available for one-stop shopping from the likes of Dark Angel Medical. Their D.A.R.K. kit (offered in various form factors to aid in stowage or on-body carry) is essentially a one-and-done purchase, and offers particular beginners a great way to shortcut the learning curve altogether, in terms of sourcing necessary kit contents. You'll see that compared to the above kit from NAR, the D.A.R.K. is geared much more towards ballistic trauma - here, it would be nice to supplement with some basic first-aid items such as burn ointment, elastic bandage, SAM Splint, eyewash, "space blanket," etc., to round-out its capabilities as a "base" bag.

On the shooting line itself, a more compact kit that is more specifically targeted towards gunshot wounds is often favored as a "first line" carry item by both students and instructional cadre alike. The D.A.R.K. (and its variations) is a very well-known and highly regarded item in this respect (Dark Angel will even replace spent components of the kit for free, provided that you give them the necessary documentation of its use in an actual save/attempt), but there are many others available, from the likes of HSGI, Blue Force Gear, Ferro Concepts, ITS Tactical, Eleven-10, Live the Creed (LTC), Phokus Research, and also NAR (the M-FAK is just one example of the many variations that they have, there) - along with a host of other "tactical nylon" builders - all make variations thereof. In several cases, the "micro" form-factor of these kits makes it impossible for them to sport self-contained primary tourniquets (aka "TQs"), so you'll want to add a C.A.T. or SOFT-T Wide (or other similar TCCC "approved" - Home). Here, although many offer open-access TQ holders either built into the kit self (like the elastic straps on the side of the Dark Angel EDC Trauma Kit) or as an accessory (BFG TQ NOW strap MOLLE insert), I prefer to keep mine covered in order to prevent both excess sun bleaching (while modern TQs are made out of UV-resistant materials, I still feel better with a bit more coverage/protection) as well as to keep it away from all but the worst mud/dirt/debris.

For concealed-carry, "concealment" can often make it more difficult to carry the most necessary massive-bleed stoppers. CoTCCC approved TQs tend to be a little bulky - ditto for even vacuum-packed clot-accelerating gauze rolls (such as QuikClot's "Combat Gauze" or it's most well-know competitor, Celox) and chest-seals. This means that concealed-carriers have had to get creative, and some of the same companies above also offer various scaled-down or otherwise concealment-favorable solutions. Defense Mechanisms, PHLster, Safer Faster Defense, Rkyer Nylon Gear, Dynamis/AdaptivX, Immediate Casualty Care, and a host of others also all offer more specialized equipment (like PHLster's "Flatpack") and or setups (from the now-common "ankle rigs" that many of the mentioned makers sell to the more specialized IWB rigs from Immediate Casualty Care or AdaptivX's) to help concealed-carriers increase their capabilities while maintaining discretion.

While I have nothing against folks purchasing the pouch and its individual components separately and "rolling one's own," doing so does require not only a certain level of base knowledge in terms of "what to buy and why to buy it," but also some understanding in that just hopping on Amazon to buy some of these components isn't the best idea. As personal-preparedness and "Tactical-fashion" has taken off, counterfeits of them have also. Add to that the "clone" items that are marketed towards the airsoft mil/tac-sim crowd, it makes for a big problem. If you are going to roll-your-own, I would highly recommend that you obtain the individual pieces from trusted sources like NAR, Rescue-Essentials, or any of the known-name tactical-supplies retailers such as Big Tex Ordinance, etc.

-----

My concealed-carry IFAK is a combination "blow-out" kit for ballistic trauma and a practical everyday "boo-boo" kit. The pouch is an Adventure Medical Kits "Trauma Pack Pro" (https://www.adventuremedicalkits.co...al/trauma-pack-pro-with-quikclot-swat-t.html; ), but I've swapped the QuikClot sponge with a pack of Z-folded Combat Gauze and supplemented it with a pack of Halo chest seals, and changed out the included gloves for a tougher pair. Boo-boo wise, it's stocked with Moleskin, Band-Aids, and also contains a CountyComm titanium A/B Cache (A/B Cache (Dual Compartment Capsule)) that holds one adult dose each: Advil, Tylenol, Benadryl, and Imodium, plus two $20 bills. In the years since I've started carrying med, the boo-boo kit has come in handy so many times, under so many different circumstances.

The pouch isn't bulletproof by any means, but I've been getting about 3 years' worth of "daily sit-on-my-butt use out of it, before it wears through (the A/B Cache is the hard-point that causes the bulk of the wear). I keep this on my dominant side, back pocket. With my jeans and most pants, this allows for sufficient space to also stage the OC canister (Mk6 format) for proper deployment.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
^ I wanted to come back and expand on that post a little more....

My EDC kit can be contrasted with my vehicle kit, which offers a bit more capability for multi-person incidents - with added chest-seals, hemostatic gauze, limb splints, and TQs. Originally purchased from what is now NoOneComing.com, the it was based off of the Condor Rip-Away EMT Pouch (Rip-Away EMT Pouch - yes, Condor isn't thought of as a high-quality tactical nylon make/brand, but again, "mission drives the train" - this is a light-use kit that is staged in my vehicle and will only see removal for use in what would ostensibly be a dire emergency: I could well discard this piece of kit after that use), which has its Velcro-base wrapped around the un-used 3rd-row middle jump-seat headrest. When the third row of my vehicle's seats is down (which is 99% of the time), this places the kit immediately above the fire-extinguisher I carry in the vehicle. Aside from those specific additions, the contents reflect what's in virtually every other typical "blow-out" kit.

And this brings us to my range-gear.

My main range bag houses a Dark Angel D.A.R.K. I use the "Slim" variant as that form-factor allows it to fit best in that bag. The D.A.R.K. is also our home bleed kit, with one in the kitchen and one in our safe-room. It's my hope that familiarity with the equipment will help when I/we are under stress.

My daughter's range bag has a NAR M-FAK slaved to the outer MOLLE. This was a concession in-part made due to size.

For both of us, when we're shooting, we have the BFG Micro-TKN/TQ-NOW! combos on our belts. Our emergency bags also use these kits, to hopefully aid in familiarity under stress.

My war-belt for carbine classes house the HSGI M3T, which gives me the ability to quickly access two staged CATs (this is what we have chosen, in our household, as the standard TQ for all but our dog) in an ambidextrous manner. Unfortunately, the NOLATC ITK insert is no longer available - I have yet to try to self-stuff the kit components in an à la carte manner, so I don't know how it will be, without the OE NOLATAC vacuum-pack: that said, the standard D.A.R.K. as well as the ITS Tactical "Tall Boy" setup are both very similar. One big reason why I went with this rather big and bulky kit (compared to the Micro-TKN) and chose it versus the D.A.R.K. was for the ability to carry an extra TQ (while both are shielded against UV/dirt), and even moreso the ability to access them in a true-ambidextrous manner. I do LARP occasionally, finding myself in training classes where ballistic protection is mandated as a part of the facility's insurance requirements, for-example. But these instances are few and far in between, so instead of something like a "dangler" (suspended under the plate carrier, like the new Ferro Concepts Roll 1), or a kit that goes between the carrier and plate (like the Phokus DT), or even as a specialized pack like the RE-Factor Aggressor, I instead stage the IFAK on my belt, which is something I wear much more frequently.

In each case where the IFAK is mounted to my body, I try to keep it just behind the hip on my dominant side. This correlates directly with where I stage my EDC medical kit, which is my right hand side back pocket. Again, the hope here is that the consistency will help, under-stress.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts