Springfield XD Forum banner
421 - 438 of 438 Posts

· Registered
291 Posts
Hi!

Just another ramble here. None of my usual suppliers had any really great deals going on when I had room in my budget for an ammo purchase. I checked my usual sources, LAX Ammo, 2A Warehouse, Palmetto State Armory, Midway, but no killer deals. It was time for my usual 500 rounds per month purchase of 9mm. I went to ammoseek to see what I could find.

Sentry Ammo had a great deal on Fiocchi 9mm, 500 rounds for $111. That sounded too good to be true. Since I'd never dealt with them I did my due diligence. I searched a couple of my favorite gun forums to see if anyone had used them. I checked scam sites, the BBB, I read reviews on the ammoseek site, etc. Everything seemed to be on the up and up, so I ordered on the 27th and it was delivered on the 31st. It arrived just when their tracking notification said it would. Nice!

The 10 boxes were packed fairly well, with packing paper filling all the empty space in the box so it didn't rattle around much. The only thing I did not enjoy was the fact that the tape said "ammo" on the outside. My other suppliers never specify what's on the inside, although I suppose anyone could guess. ;)
View attachment 869743

Look at that! That should last me about a month at the range. :D
View attachment 869744

On the ammoseek site Sentry Ammo was rated a little below average for their shipping costs. They prompted for insurance on the shipment so I thought, why not? Even without the insurance the shipping was a little more than I was expecting. Still, all in all, a good deal with a quick delivery on a name brand product, just a smidge over 30¢ per round total. It's about the same for the AAC brand I've ordered from Palmetto State at 30¢ a round with free shipping for 500 rounds. I'm not going to complain and will probably order from Sentry Ammo again. They are also in Texas, like 2A Warehouse. The house brands from 2A Warehouse and LAX Ammo have worked just fine in my XD9, not perfectly, but just fine for practice at the range with only a couple of hiccups out of about 1000 rounds so far. Hey, thanks for putting up with this old noob. :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
Cliff, I would imagine that the box also had the Triangle 'ORD' sticker. Maybe a nice suggestion email to their CS about NOT using that tape. Like you said, folks such as the shipping carrier's can pretty much figure out what'[s in the box with just the ORD markings.

· Registered
4,513 Posts
The problem with asking the company to remove the word ammo is that it is part of their name/logo. They probably can’t just have “Sentry” on their shipping tape due to copyright infringements. Did the LAX shipment come with logo’ed or plain tape? Seems that Sentry ammo could save money by using unlogo’ed tape and boxes.

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
Hi guys,

👍 happy to see ammo prices come down a bit. Well at least 9mm and 556. 45acp seems to be holding it's price. I just started reloading again. After paying $28 for a box of 380 I said F this 😂 lucky me I still have plenty of primers and powder.
I do try to support brick-and-mortar stores, mom-and-pop shops, etc, when I can. But ammo prices in the local stores are just nuts. I've been to the LAX Ammunition store a couple of times, before I moved away. They also have a range right next door. I would imagine 2AWarehouse and Sentry Ammo both have brick-and-mortar stores too. Why pay 40¢ a round when you can pay 22¢ (for 9mm)? The difference in price for .45ACP is about 42¢ vs. 65¢. Once Mrs. BassCliff starts shooting more regularly I might have to start reloading too.

Cliff, I would imagine that the box also had the Triangle 'ORD' sticker. Maybe a nice suggestion email to their CS about NOT using that tape. Like you said, folks such as the shipping carrier's can pretty much figure out what'[s in the box with just the ORD markings.
It's odd. I'm sure they've been doing business that way for years. Maybe that's why they encourage buyers to get their shipments insured. Surely someone has mentioned to them that putting the word "ammo" on the packages can be problematic. They're in Texas. They probably don't care. Nobody bats an eye. ;)

The problem with asking the company to remove the word ammo is that it is part of their name/logo. They probably can’t just have “Sentry” on their shipping tape due to copyright infringements. Did the LAX shipment come with logo’ed or plain tape? Seems that Sentry ammo could save money by using unlogo’ed tape and boxes.
I don't recall how the LAX Ammo was labeled. That's a good question. But it must not have been an obvious label on the outside of the box. I think I would've noticed. I'm sure it was plain shipping tape.

BassCliff

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 · (Edited)
Hi guys!

It's been a while since I posted about my ammo hunting and gathering. These days all of the hunting is online and all the gathering is from my front doorstep. This seems like cheating! ;) :ROFLMAO:

Today I received 29 pounds of pew pew goodness from LAX Ammo. The only marking on the box beside the shipping label was the diamond shaped mark, otherwise a very plain box.
Brown Packing materials Package delivery Shipping box Wood

Inside, packed very well, was 500 rounds of .45 and 200 rounds of 9mm. I thought I was getting loose packed .45 in a "free" ammo can. Not this time.
Rectangle Shipping box Package delivery Wood Packaging and labeling

The .45 was 41.5¢ per round, the 9mm was 27.5¢ per round with free shipping (for orders over $250) plus $13 tax. Not a bad deal. This should keep me going for the next month or so. I see LAX Ammo's 9mm prices have gone down a couple of cents since I ordered this. I've been noticing on ammoseek that Southern Munitions has been selling even cheaper but their shipping costs are higher. I'll have to run the numbers to make sure I'm getting the best reasonable TCO. But this will keep me happy until next month. ;) Happy hunting y'all.

BassCliff

Reactions: Mike51392

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Hi guys!

It's been a while since I posted about my ammo hunting and gathering. These days all of the hunting is online and all the gathering is from my front doorstep. This seems like cheating! ;) :ROFLMAO:

Today I received 29 pounds of pew pew goodness from LAX Ammo. The only marking on the box beside the shipping label was the triangle marker, otherwise a very plain box.
View attachment 874352

Inside, packed very well, was 500 rounds of .45 and 200 rounds of 9mm. I thought I was getting loose packed .45 in a "free" ammo can. Not this time.
View attachment 874353

The .45 was 41.5¢ per round, the 9mm was 27.5¢ per round with free shipping (for orders over $250) plus $13 tax. Not a bad deal. This should keep me going for the next month or so. I see LAX Ammo's 9mm prices have gone down a couple of cents since I ordered this. I've been noticing on ammoseek that Southern Munitions has been selling even cheaper but their shipping costs are higher. I'll have to run the numbers to make sure I'm getting the best reasonable TCO. But this will keep me happy until next month. ;) Happy hunting y'all.

BassCliff
That's pretty good my last purchase 1-8-23. I got 5k of 9mm for $1700 that's about .34cents per round.

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 ·
Hi,

That's pretty good my last purchase 1-8-23. I got 5k of 9mm for $1700 that's about .34cents per round.
Nice! That's a lot of bang units. With my training and practice schedule I'll purchase 500 rounds of 9mm and/or .45 each month. I usually don't use all of that so it allows me to slowly build my stock.

I've used these guys before. This looks like a pretty good deal for practice ammo:

I don't know how much the shipping will add to the unit cost. Maybe I'll find out next month. 😉

BassCliff

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Keep in mind your FREE now! You can mail order ammo I can't. The cost of ammo carries a small tax on top of the high state tax, I have to drive to get my ammo, high gas prices and wear and tear on my vehicle. I have to make large ammo purchases just to try and keep they cost down. I always keep a good amount of stock at hand. I have a few thousand rounds of 9mm that I loaded a few years back. I'm just getting around to shooting that stuff.

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
Hi,

Keep in mind your FREE now! You can mail order ammo I can't. The cost of ammo carries a small tax on top of the high state tax, I have to drive to get my ammo, high gas prices and wear and tear on my vehicle. I have to make large ammo purchases just to try and keep they cost down. I always keep a good amount of stock at hand. I have a few thousand rounds of 9mm that I loaded a few years back. I'm just getting around to shooting that stuff.
Oh my, how quickly they (me) forget. 😉

Shame on me. The difficulties of pursuing our hobby are becoming a distant memory since I left California. Forgive me if I seemed insensitive. I remember well the shenanigans I had to go through. My old instructor would go through similar procedures as you in order to feed his students. And I remember waiting in long lines to buy my limit, 2 or 3 boxes maybe. That seems like such a long time ago. :ROFLMAO:

It's great you've got a system that works for you. One of these days I hope to start reloading too. Maybe I can pick your brain. :)

BassCliff

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Hi,

Oh my, how quickly they (me) forget. 😉

Shame on me. The difficulties of pursuing our hobby are becoming a distant memory since I left California. Forgive me if I seemed insensitive. I remember well the shenanigans I had to go through. My old instructor would go through similar procedures as you in order to feed his students. And I remember waiting in long lines to buy my limit, 2 or 3 boxes maybe. That seems like such a long time ago. :ROFLMAO:

It's great you've got a system that works for you. One of these days I hope to start reloading too. Maybe I can pick your brain. :)

BassCliff
😂 Yes don't be insensitive, I'm very sensitive being from California. Oh and my pronouns are She Devil I identify as a Large Black Woman and my new Driver License will have my new name, Aretha Franklin 😂. Funny my Ex-wife has a decent job working one of Elon Musk's company. She has been offered a position in Texas. We talked about it VERY seriously so we're planning a trip out there to check it out together and that will give me a chance to do some job searching and what not. At this point in my life I'm ready for a new adventure, it won't be easy as the majority of my family is in Los Angeles.

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
Hey!

😂 Yes don't be insensitive, I'm very sensitive being from California. Oh and my pronouns are She Devil I identify as a Large Black Woman and my new Driver License will have my new name, Aretha Franklin 😂. Funny my Ex-wife has a decent job working one of Elon Musk's company. She has been offered a position in Texas. We talked about it VERY seriously so we're planning a trip out there to check it out together and that will give me a chance to do some job searching and what not. At this point in my life I'm ready for a new adventure, it won't be easy as the majority of my family is in Los Angeles.
My pronouns are grumpy, old, coot.

So many of my friends moved to Texas. That was actually my first choice after retirement. But Mrs. BassCliff would ask, "Do we have grandkids in Texas?" Hence our move to the upper Midwest.

New adventures can be quite stimulating. I've been enjoying mine. Best of luck.

BassCliff

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
Hey err'body,

I just got notice in my email, Midway is selling 1000 rounds of 9mm Blazer Aluminum for $250 (25¢ per round). Not bad if you don't mind shooting aluminum cases.

It looks like Sentry still has 1000 round loose pack cases of Norma practice 9mm for $208 (less than 21¢ per round).

Of course, add shipping and tax, maybe an FFL fee for the downtrodden. Just a heads up. :)

BassCliff

· Registered
115 Posts
From what I've seen, anything under $0.30 per round for 9mm Luger (including shipping and taxes) is pretty good these days. (My limit before covid hit was $0.20/rd. shipped. It will probably be a while before we see those prices again--if ever considering inflation.) I can't tell you anything about .45 ACP because I don't have any guns that shoot that. I try to keep my finger on the pulse of ammo prices. I pounce on a case or two when I see a dip--unless I stocked up recently.

There were some pretty good sales a couple of weeks before Christmas, but those vendors are either out of stock or the prices have firmed up.

Good luck everyone.

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
Hi!

From what I've seen, anything under $0.30 per round for 9mm Luger (including shipping and taxes) is pretty good these days. (My limit before covid hit was $0.20/rd. shipped. It will probably be a while before we see those prices again--if ever considering inflation.) I can't tell you anything about .45 ACP because I don't have any guns that shoot that. I try to keep my finger on the pulse of ammo prices. I pounce on a case or two when I see a dip--unless I stocked up recently.

There were some pretty good sales a couple of weeks before Christmas, but those vendors are either out of stock or the prices have firmed up.

Good luck everyone.
There was a time when anything under 50¢ a round was a good deal, especially in California where I had to buy from brick and mortar stores. At that time shipping and FFL fees made ammo insanely expensive. But we have survived!

At least the 9mm is getting cheaper. Ammoseek.com shows vendors with ~15¢ per round but shipping prices will drive that up.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

I'm not familiar with any of the above vendors. I try to stick with the folks I know. When they have a "free shipping" deal, that's when I like to pounce. ;)

Happy hunting.

BassCliff

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
Hi,

I was in one of my favorite stores yesterday looking for a couple of things and decided to walk by the ammo isle just to see what's up. Availability might be a bit better here in the upper Midwest now but the brick-and-mortar prices have not returned to pre-dempanic levels. That Blazer 9mm can be had online for $13 a box instead of the $20 shelf price. I can't pay $235 for 500 rounds when I can get it online for about half that, delivered right to my door. This is one of the reasons I'm glad I vacated the Left Coast. ;)

Food Shelf Product Shelving Convenience store

Anyway, I just wanted to share my recent observation. It's another profound glimpse into the obvious. :ROFLMAO: Thanks for putting up with me.

BassCliff

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Hi,

I was in one of my favorite stores yesterday looking for a couple of things and decided to walk by the ammo isle just to see what's up. Availability might be a bit better here in the upper Midwest now but the brick-and-mortar prices have not returned to pre-dempanic levels. That Blazer 9mm can be had online for $13 a box instead of the $20 shelf price. I can't pay $235 for 500 rounds when I can get it online for about half that, delivered right to my door. This is one of the reasons I'm glad I vacated the Left Coast. ;)

View attachment 875015

Anyway, I just wanted to share my recent observation. It's another profound glimpse into the obvious. :ROFLMAO: Thanks for putting up with me.

BassCliff
I can pay half that delivered to my door - You inconsiderate son of gun :p

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·
Hi Mike,

I can pay half that delivered to my door - You inconsiderate son of gun :p
Yes, sometimes I'm insensitive. ;) So far there's been enough resistance in this state not to turn it into Newsomland.

I won't mention that yesterday I ordered 500 rounds of .45 and 250 rounds of 9mm. It shipped today. Of course, today I get an email saying there's a $2.99 shipping special this weekend at LAX Ammo. Drat! If I'd waited a day I could've saved $25 on shipping. You know, 750 rounds of ammo is almost 33 lbs. Yikes.

Today Mrs. BassCliff and I were out running errands. We were in Blain's and on the way to the birdfeed isle we walked past the ammo isle. She commented, "Wow! Look at all of this, right out in the open!" :D

I had recently seen somebody's list where this SD ammo made their "Top 5" so I thought I'd try a box. It was $25 for 20 rounds. If I like it I'm sure I can find it online for cheaper.
Font Fashion accessory Carmine Logo Symbol

Automotive lighting Automotive design Cylinder Beverage can Gas

It's a +P variety but the specs on the back say 1200fps for muzzle velocity. That seems right in line with most other 9mm ammo. If interested, you can find more info here: https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Handgun/USA-Ready-Defense/RED9HP

Out of curiosity, I conducted a little ammoseek.com search. (I'm really starting to love that search engine.)

Rectangle Font Parallel Art Music

We'll see how I like it. I'm sure I'd like it a lot better at 50¢ a round rather than $1.25 per. ;)

I've liked the Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Defense. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add another item to my favorite SD ammo. Do you guys use mainly one single SD ammo? Or do you also have a few favorites?

OK, I'll quit rambling now. Thanks for putting up with me.

BassCliff

421 - 438 of 438 Posts