Springfield XD Forum banner
341 - 349 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
Hi,

On a whim I visited a Big 5 today (Saturday) and was surprised at the inventory levels of various calibers--looked pretty well stocked in various brands of ammo in various calibers--they even had stacks of flats of 22LR that didn't fit on the shelf. I limited myself to just 2-50 round boxes of 115gr 9mm Blazer brass--came out to $0.47 per round.
Great day in the morning! What is this world coming to? Two law-abiding citizens can just walk into a sporting good store and buy ammunition. How about that? ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: clueless88

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
Greetings my friends,

Today during my mid-day break I had an appointment with my dental hygienist. There is another Big 5 store in between my dentist and my work. I know that they get their shipments every other Monday but I don't know which Monday. I decided to take a chance and stop by since it's only a couple blocks off the freeway.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Tire

Well, well, well! It looks like I just happened to come on the right Monday. They had quite a nice selection of lots of calibers.

Building Shelf Shelving Publication Retail

I chatted with my clerk, Ricky, a nice young fellow. I mentioned their relatively large inventory and that there must not have been a line out front this morning. He surprised me and said, "Yep, everyone has had to go back to work. They can't sit around the house and collect their free money any more." :ROFLMAO: This store is in LA County and there have been a lot of changes (mandates) put into effect recently. I had to wear a mask in this store. There are no mask mandates at my neighborhood store.

The prices here were nothing to write home about so I picked up just two boxes of the Remington training ammo.

Font Packaging and labeling Brand Transparency Label

Even with my Veteran's discount this was still sixty cents a round. Ouch. I'll stop by my neighborhood store again on Thursday. They usually have a better price, less than fifty cents anyway. Wish me luck. I'm going to do some ciphering to see if ordering online would be advantageous. I've seen the bigger online outlets ( TrueShot, SGAmmo, etc.) selling for as little as thirty four cents a round, but then add tax, shipping, FFL, etc. We'll see. I hope your ammo hunting and gathering is going well. Thanks for putting up with me.

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Large chain store a few towns away had a smallish delivery of ammo this week. Was able to get a couple of boxes of Aguila 22LR for 8 cents/round as well as some Fiocci 115gr 9mm and WWB 115gr 9mm for forty cents/round. I paid the same for the boxes of Fiocci as I did 5 months ago. WWB prices have hovered around the same price point during the same time period.

The prices at our local Big 5s have been going up steadily and now there is quite a difference between what they and the other chain store charges. The downside is that timing is everything at the large chain store, whereas it appears that lately the Big 5s will have ammo on the shelves days after their delivery days. There is an upside to having a flexible schedule.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
Hi,

The prices at our local Big 5s have been going up steadily and now there is quite a difference between what they and the other chain store charges.
I used to buy a lot of ammo, well, make a lot of trips anyway, to the Turner's Outdoorsman in the next town over. I haven't been there in months. I will make it a point to stop by there soon on one of their delivery days and check out the supply and prices. I wonder if Lori, my little ammo angel there, misses me. :ROFLMAO:

In that same town, not too far away, is a Bass Pro Shop. I've been in there once to shop for guns and ammo. At the beginning of the fear and madness that store was waaaay too busy and always sold out. It's a big store with an indoor pistol range that's been closed during the lockdown. I wonder if it's open again. I'll have to poke my head in that place too, just to check it out. I'm almost always up for an adventure.

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Earlier this year I visited a Turner's and it seemed that their listed online prices were the same as in the store--quite a bit higher than other large chain stores and at that time even higher that what I was paying at Big 5.

Have not ventured into a Bass Pro Shop since starting this ammo journey--can only imagine how hectic things were during ammogeddon--seemed plenty busy during normal retail times, the parking lot occupancy seemed to rival that of Ikea on the weekends.

Congrats on your upcoming change of status!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
Hi,

I hope all of you enjoyed your Veteran's Day holiday. Thank you to all who are wearing and have worn the uniform. God bless you and keep you.

Earlier this year I visited a Turner's and it seemed that their listed online prices were the same as in the store--quite a bit higher than other large chain stores and at that time even higher that what I was paying at Big 5.

Have not ventured into a Bass Pro Shop since starting this ammo journey--can only imagine how hectic things were during ammogeddon--seemed plenty busy during normal retail times, the parking lot occupancy seemed to rival that of Ikea on the weekends.
I did not make it out to my local Turner's yet, or Bass Pro, but I did stop by my local Big 5 today. They got in a pretty good shipment. They had a lot of the Remington 9mm just like the other store on Monday, at the same price. Grrr. But they also had Blazer and Federal for less. Still, seems like the prices are creeping up.

Product Font Shelving Retail Shelf

I opted for the 124 grain Blazer today.

Tableware Table Gadget Font Audio equipment

With my Veteran's discount I spent 47.8 cents per round. That's not great but certainly better than the 60 cents a round I spent on Monday. Still, I've been able to pick up 250 rounds this week. I haven't been able to do that very often. The supply seems to be increasing. Now I wish the price would start decreasing. ;)

Congrats on your upcoming change of status!
Thank you kindly. I'm looking forward to the adventure. :)

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 ·
Hi,

I'm just sharing an email notification from trueshotgunclub.com and their Black Friday sales. Thirty four cents a round (plus shipping, FFL, etc).

Rectangle Font Advertising Brand Logo

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
Hi!

I had some tip money from my gig last night so I stopped by my local Big 5. I couldn't remember if it was the proper Thursday but thought, "What the hey?" It turns out they got a pretty good shipment in this morning and still had lots left on the shelf.

Shelving Shelf Building Retail Publication

I could afford only the 100 round WWB "value pack".

Food Font Cloud Publication Carton

The prices are creeping up. The last time I bought this box it was $49.99 retail. This box was $56.99 but with my Veteran discount I paid 51.3 cents a round. At least it's not 60 cents a round. ;) If I make any tips this weekend I'll go back and see if I can get lucky.

I feel another range trip coming on. :D Thanks for putting up with me.

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
Hi,

Has it really been two weeks since I picked up any ammo? Now that I've retired every day seems like Saturday, except for Sunday. I finished up my chores for the day and, not knowing if it was a "shipment Thursday" or not, ran by my local Big 5 while running errands. Turns out it was an "on" Thursday and they had lots of product on the shelves as well as lots of reminders from our DOJ.

Building Automotive design Shelving Shelf Retail

I didn't want to be greedy today so I picked up this 200 round range pack of WWB for only $99.99. I guess I could've bought more Blazer aluminum for a little cheaper but that's what I bought last time. I was feeling my brass today. ;)

Computer keyboard Peripheral Food Input device Audio equipment

I'm hoping to take a break from my chores tomorrow and get in a little live practice. I'll let you know.

BassCliff

341 - 349 of 349 Posts