Springfield XD Forum banner
341 - 360 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
Hi,

On a whim I visited a Big 5 today (Saturday) and was surprised at the inventory levels of various calibers--looked pretty well stocked in various brands of ammo in various calibers--they even had stacks of flats of 22LR that didn't fit on the shelf. I limited myself to just 2-50 round boxes of 115gr 9mm Blazer brass--came out to $0.47 per round.
Great day in the morning! What is this world coming to? Two law-abiding citizens can just walk into a sporting good store and buy ammunition. How about that? ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: clueless88

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
Greetings my friends,

Today during my mid-day break I had an appointment with my dental hygienist. There is another Big 5 store in between my dentist and my work. I know that they get their shipments every other Monday but I don't know which Monday. I decided to take a chance and stop by since it's only a couple blocks off the freeway.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Tire

Well, well, well! It looks like I just happened to come on the right Monday. They had quite a nice selection of lots of calibers.

Building Shelf Shelving Publication Retail

I chatted with my clerk, Ricky, a nice young fellow. I mentioned their relatively large inventory and that there must not have been a line out front this morning. He surprised me and said, "Yep, everyone has had to go back to work. They can't sit around the house and collect their free money any more." :ROFLMAO: This store is in LA County and there have been a lot of changes (mandates) put into effect recently. I had to wear a mask in this store. There are no mask mandates at my neighborhood store.

The prices here were nothing to write home about so I picked up just two boxes of the Remington training ammo.

Font Packaging and labeling Brand Transparency Label

Even with my Veteran's discount this was still sixty cents a round. Ouch. I'll stop by my neighborhood store again on Thursday. They usually have a better price, less than fifty cents anyway. Wish me luck. I'm going to do some ciphering to see if ordering online would be advantageous. I've seen the bigger online outlets ( TrueShot, SGAmmo, etc.) selling for as little as thirty four cents a round, but then add tax, shipping, FFL, etc. We'll see. I hope your ammo hunting and gathering is going well. Thanks for putting up with me.

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Large chain store a few towns away had a smallish delivery of ammo this week. Was able to get a couple of boxes of Aguila 22LR for 8 cents/round as well as some Fiocci 115gr 9mm and WWB 115gr 9mm for forty cents/round. I paid the same for the boxes of Fiocci as I did 5 months ago. WWB prices have hovered around the same price point during the same time period.

The prices at our local Big 5s have been going up steadily and now there is quite a difference between what they and the other chain store charges. The downside is that timing is everything at the large chain store, whereas it appears that lately the Big 5s will have ammo on the shelves days after their delivery days. There is an upside to having a flexible schedule.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
Hi,

The prices at our local Big 5s have been going up steadily and now there is quite a difference between what they and the other chain store charges.
I used to buy a lot of ammo, well, make a lot of trips anyway, to the Turner's Outdoorsman in the next town over. I haven't been there in months. I will make it a point to stop by there soon on one of their delivery days and check out the supply and prices. I wonder if Lori, my little ammo angel there, misses me. :ROFLMAO:

In that same town, not too far away, is a Bass Pro Shop. I've been in there once to shop for guns and ammo. At the beginning of the fear and madness that store was waaaay too busy and always sold out. It's a big store with an indoor pistol range that's been closed during the lockdown. I wonder if it's open again. I'll have to poke my head in that place too, just to check it out. I'm almost always up for an adventure.

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Earlier this year I visited a Turner's and it seemed that their listed online prices were the same as in the store--quite a bit higher than other large chain stores and at that time even higher that what I was paying at Big 5.

Have not ventured into a Bass Pro Shop since starting this ammo journey--can only imagine how hectic things were during ammogeddon--seemed plenty busy during normal retail times, the parking lot occupancy seemed to rival that of Ikea on the weekends.

Congrats on your upcoming change of status!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
Hi,

I hope all of you enjoyed your Veteran's Day holiday. Thank you to all who are wearing and have worn the uniform. God bless you and keep you.

Earlier this year I visited a Turner's and it seemed that their listed online prices were the same as in the store--quite a bit higher than other large chain stores and at that time even higher that what I was paying at Big 5.

Have not ventured into a Bass Pro Shop since starting this ammo journey--can only imagine how hectic things were during ammogeddon--seemed plenty busy during normal retail times, the parking lot occupancy seemed to rival that of Ikea on the weekends.
I did not make it out to my local Turner's yet, or Bass Pro, but I did stop by my local Big 5 today. They got in a pretty good shipment. They had a lot of the Remington 9mm just like the other store on Monday, at the same price. Grrr. But they also had Blazer and Federal for less. Still, seems like the prices are creeping up.

Product Font Shelving Retail Shelf

I opted for the 124 grain Blazer today.

Tableware Table Gadget Font Audio equipment

With my Veteran's discount I spent 47.8 cents per round. That's not great but certainly better than the 60 cents a round I spent on Monday. Still, I've been able to pick up 250 rounds this week. I haven't been able to do that very often. The supply seems to be increasing. Now I wish the price would start decreasing. ;)

Congrats on your upcoming change of status!
Thank you kindly. I'm looking forward to the adventure. :)

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 ·
Hi,

I'm just sharing an email notification from trueshotgunclub.com and their Black Friday sales. Thirty four cents a round (plus shipping, FFL, etc).

Rectangle Font Advertising Brand Logo

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
Hi!

I had some tip money from my gig last night so I stopped by my local Big 5. I couldn't remember if it was the proper Thursday but thought, "What the hey?" It turns out they got a pretty good shipment in this morning and still had lots left on the shelf.

Shelving Shelf Building Retail Publication

I could afford only the 100 round WWB "value pack".

Food Font Cloud Publication Carton

The prices are creeping up. The last time I bought this box it was $49.99 retail. This box was $56.99 but with my Veteran discount I paid 51.3 cents a round. At least it's not 60 cents a round. ;) If I make any tips this weekend I'll go back and see if I can get lucky.

I feel another range trip coming on. :D Thanks for putting up with me.

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
Hi,

Has it really been two weeks since I picked up any ammo? Now that I've retired every day seems like Saturday, except for Sunday. I finished up my chores for the day and, not knowing if it was a "shipment Thursday" or not, ran by my local Big 5 while running errands. Turns out it was an "on" Thursday and they had lots of product on the shelves as well as lots of reminders from our DOJ.

Building Automotive design Shelving Shelf Retail

I didn't want to be greedy today so I picked up this 200 round range pack of WWB for only $99.99. I guess I could've bought more Blazer aluminum for a little cheaper but that's what I bought last time. I was feeling my brass today. ;)

Computer keyboard Peripheral Food Input device Audio equipment

I'm hoping to take a break from my chores tomorrow and get in a little live practice. I'll let you know.

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
Howdy Buckaroos!

Well, I did get in some live fire practice last week. Range report here. I was out doing a little Christmas shopping for my young granddaughters and stopped in my local Big 5 to look for a sport toy, a Nerf Frisbee, if you will. I found this soft Frisbee-like contraption and thought it would be perfect. Then Monica asked me, "Aren't you buying any ammo today?" How could I refuse?

Product Automotive design Customer Automotive tire Selling

As you can tell, my ammo angels had lots of product on the shelf. Because it was on sale, I decided to try a couple boxes of the Federal Syntech. It seems this ammo is "the stuff" for certain competition shooting with synthetic jacket (no metal-on-metal), heavier bullet (150 grains), less recoil (muzzle velocity 890 out of a 4" barrel), etc.

Payment card Debit card Red Publication Font

Last week this ammo was $31.99 a box. That's why I passed on it in favor of the WWB. This week the sale price was $26.99 and with my military discount, only $24.29. That's about 48.5¢ per round. Not a bad deal these days when buying in a retail store. Aren't they cute? Monica says to me, "They look like little lipsticks." :LOL: It will be interesting to give these a try. At such a relatively good price I just might buy a few hundred rounds next time, especially if they make me shoot better. ;)

Saturday is going to be a self-defense pistol skill builder workshop class. I'll probably shoot up my steel and aluminum while I'm outdoors. I'll give these a try indoors under more controlled and slower paced conditions. I'll let you know. Thanks for putting up with me. Merry Christmas!

Q. Where does Frosty keep his cash?
I'll wait.
A. In the snow bank! :ROFLMAO:

I'll be here all week. Enjoy the buffet!

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
Hi gang!

Wow! Has it really been two weeks since my last ammo run? I had some extra Christmas money so while I was out spending it I bought myself a little Christmas present at my local Big 5.

Publication Box Packaging and labeling Carton Gas

I was at a range in Las Vegas just a couple of days ago so I replaced what I shot and then some. I got 250 rounds of WWB NATO for "only" 48.6¢ per round. I also picked up a little ammo box since it was on sale for $8.99 and I even got my 10% veteran discount on top of that. Now I must go wrap all the presents I got for everyone else. Santa will be here soon! Ho, ho, ho! Merry Christmas!

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 · (Edited)
Hi!

I hope you've all had a Merry Christmas and I wish you all the best in the coming New Year!

Today I thought I'd go on an adventure and try to purchase some ammo at the Bass Pro shop the next town over. It didn't seem too crowded in the parking lot.
Cloud Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle

I checked in at the gun counter and put my name on the list of customers to be serviced at about 2:45 in the afternoon. There were only 23 people ahead of me. It turned out to be quite busy inside the store. I perused the large shooting section while I waited. There is an indoor pistol range here. I'm not sure if it's currently open to the public due to covid protocols.
Property Building Lighting Drinking establishment Interior design

I checked out all the hunting accessories I may need after I move in order to hunt turkey, duck, goose, quail, etc. There was all kinds of blinds, articulated water fowl decoys, calls, etc, quite interesting. They were doing a brisk business at the gun counter.
Outerwear Lighting Shopping Customer T-shirt

Bass Pro seemed to have many more long guns than pistols. They did not have .22LR in the ammo section but they had plenty of 9mm and lots of other stuff too. This is just one side of the isle.
Shelving Shelf Publication Material property Retail

As I waited my turn I thought about picking up one of these beauties. But I didn't want to shoot my eye out.
Wood Red Font Tints and shades Rectangle

After almost a two hour wait I was able to buy some ammo. The limit was 250 rounds per day for non-members like me. I didn't care. That's all I wanted anyway. I picked up a big box of WWB and a small box of Maxx Tech. This is the first time I've purchased Maxx Tech.
Cloud Wood Computer keyboard Font Material property

The WWB was 40¢ per round ($80 for the box), not bad these days. The Maxx Tech was 50¢ a round ($25 for the box), about par for the course these days. That brings the average up to 42¢ per round for this ammo hunting and gathering expedition.

I tell you what, I am never again going to this place on the weekend. I'll go early in the morning on a weekday when there is no crowd. What was I thinking, coming here the day after Christmas? :D But I wanted to pick up some rounds while I had the chance. I'm hoping to make it to the local range tomorrow with my middle daughter before she goes back home. I'll let you know. ;) Thanks for putting up with me.

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Ventured down to the big chain store a few towns down this afternoon to pick up an online order and was pleasantly surprised to see a shelf full of Blazer Aluminum 115 gr 9mm. Snagged a few at $18.99 (.39/round). No other 9 mm target ammo in stock, various flavors of SD though. No bulk .22 either.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you haven't already (I'm not fully up-to-speed on your ammo adventures), you can sign up to use your veteran discount at Bass Pro for 5% off. Not much, I know, but better than nothing. That, and their Herter's brand (made by Winchester/Olin Corp.) can be ordered online with free shipping to the store. It's $0.34/round before discounts/taxes/etc. and is decent plinking ammo. It appears to be out-of-stock now, but check online periodically and you'll be able to score a few boxes (limit 5). Not bad in the current climate.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
Hi guys!

Ventured down to the big chain store a few towns down this afternoon to pick up an online order and was pleasantly surprised to see a shelf full of Blazer Aluminum 115 gr 9mm. Snagged a few at $18.99 (.39/round). No other 9 mm target ammo in stock, various flavors of SD though. No bulk .22 either.

Happy New Year!
Hey! That's pretty dang good. The last time I visited my neighborhood Big 5 they had the Blazer aluminum for $24.99. I passed on it that day. I'll check back there this week to see what I might find. I'm hoping the Syntech will be on sale again. I've not had a chance to shoot it yet but I'd like to pick up a larger sampling, just in case I like it. ;)

If you haven't already (I'm not fully up-to-speed on your ammo adventures), you can sign up to use your veteran discount at Bass Pro for 5% off. Not much, I know, but better than nothing. That, and their Herter's brand (made by Winchester/Olin Corp.) can be ordered online with free shipping to the store. It's $0.34/round before discounts/taxes/etc. and is decent plinking ammo. It appears to be out-of-stock now, but check online periodically and you'll be able to score a few boxes (limit 5). Not bad in the current climate.
Thanks! I asked about that discount. The clerk said I didn't have the proper paperwork with me. I thought that odd because my "Real ID" (drivers license) clearly signifies 'Veteran', the website says that's all you need, but I wasn't going to give the guy a hard time over such a small purchase. The staff was swamped that day. My other big box stores give me a 10% discount. If at some future time I find myself trading at Bass Pro more often, then I can look into joining the special "express" club. Then I will show them my DD-214 for the discount and also bigger limits. I just hope I can remember the secret handshake.

Thanks for the tip on their house brand. I'll check it out!

BassCliff

Reactions: LivingUpNorth

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Thanks! I asked about that discount. The clerk said I didn't have the proper paperwork with me. I thought that odd because my "Real ID" (drivers license) clearly signifies 'Veteran', the website says that's all you need, but I wasn't going to give the guy a hard time over such a small purchase. The staff was swamped that day. My other big box stores give me a 10% discount. If at some future time I find myself trading at Bass Pro more often, then I can look into joining the special "express" club. Then I will show them my DD-214 for the discount and also bigger limits. I just hope I can remember the secret handshake.
Instead of having to carry your DD-214 around for the discount, you may want to get a Veteran's ID card . It is free and you can apply online. The VA will issue a photo ID whose sole purpose is to provide proof of service at businesses that offer military/veterans discounts. I thought having the "Veteran" status on your real ID DL is supposed to be equivalent to the Veteran's ID Card, but who knows.

You can sign up to use your veteran discount at Bass Pro for 5% off. Not much, I know, but better than nothing. That, and their Herter's brand (made by Winchester/Olin Corp.) can be ordered online with free shipping to the store. It's $0.34/round before discounts/taxes/etc. and is decent plinking ammo. It appears to be out-of-stock now, but check online periodically and you'll be able to score a few boxes (limit 5). Not bad in the current climate.
Nice! Wish I had a Bass Pro Shop closer to me. A fun store to experience!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #357 ·
Hi,

Well, I said I'd check in with my local Big 5 this week. I couldn't wait any longer (jonesing for my ammo fix) so I went in on Monday while I was running other errands. I've lost track of which Thursdays they are receiving their inventory but today the shelves were quite full. The prices are still inflated but they did have a couple of 9mm cartridges on sale.
Shelf Shelving Customer Convenience store Retail

I chatted up my ammo angel, Monica. She always says "Hi Cliff!" when she sees me in the store. Sweet girl. I think I'll go back in a day or two to pick up some .22. I know I'm going to miss this scenery driving around town once I leave this state.
Sky Cloud Street light Motor vehicle Vehicle

They had the Federal Syntech on sale at $27, marked down from $32. It's supposed to be good for knocking down steel targets. I think I'll give it a try this weekend. I wanted to pick up some self defense ammo too. The WWB 147 grain JHP was also on sale for a few dollars off regular price. I decided I'd try it.
Font Eyewear Material property Publication Event

I figured fifty rounds at forty bucks is better than twenty rounds at thirty bucks, this time anyway. Monica always remembers to give me a 10% military discount. Sweet girl. The Federal Syntech was 50¢ a round while the WWB JHP was just shy of 81¢ a round.

Of course I did a little research online after buying the WWB JHP. I found one reviewer who loved it, nice penetration, excellent expansion, big wound channel, etc. Then I found two more reviewers that were not impressed with it, over penetration, not enough expansion, etc. It's budget SD ammo but I'm sure it will leave a mark. ;)

OK, that's my rambling for this week. I hope your ammo hunting and gathering is proceeding well in this New Year. Let's hope the supply increases while the price decreases. :D

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
Hello friends,

It's been ten days since my last confession, um, ammo run. :D I was out running errands today, had to go into the shop to return some equipment, so I stopped by my local Big 5 to see what they had on the shelves. It was a good day.

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Cloud

I'm not sure if this Thursday was their shipment day but they had plenty of ammo in stock. I noticed the prices have come down a couple of bucks. I picked up a 200 pack of WWB and some .22 for my little Walther.

Material property Font Packaging and labeling Table Computer keyboard

After my discount, the Aguila was $26.99 (just shy of 11¢ per round) and the WWB was $98.99 (just a smidge over 49¢ per round).

The 200 pack of WWB was only $80 at Bass Pro a couple weeks ago but I didn't feel like waiting two hours for it. Maybe next time I make an ammo run I'll go there early in the morning on a weekday to try and avoid the wait. Until then, I hope your hunting and gathering goes well.

What are the prices like in other parts of the country? Since I'm planning to move to Wisconsin in a couple months, how are the prices there? If the prices and supply are good then perhaps I should wait until after I move to buy more ammo. Let me know. Thanks!

BassCliff

·
Registered
575 Posts
Don't forget, once you move to a free state, you'll be able to order online and have it delivered right to your door! No middleman, no FFL, and occasionally if you're lucky, no tax or shipping. Most stores where I live are considerably higher than online (typical of any product you buy, of course) and I'm sure it's the same in Wisconsin.
A quick check on Ammoseek shows 9mm, 115gr, brass-cased for around $0.30/round. Hopefully, by the time you arrive in Wisconsin, it will be even cheaper!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
Hi!

Don't forget, once you move to a free state, you'll be able to order online and have it delivered right to your door! No middleman, no FFL, and occasionally if you're lucky, no tax or shipping. Most stores where I live are considerably higher than online (typical of any product you buy, of course) and I'm sure it's the same in Wisconsin.
A quick check on Ammoseek shows 9mm, 115gr, brass-cased for around $0.30/round. Hopefully, by the time you arrive in Wisconsin, it will be even cheaper!
I know there are mysterious wonderlands where ammunition can magically show up on your stoop, just like dog food from chewy.com. It sounds amazing! I hadn't checked on that aspect of my move. Now I'm really looking forward to my adventure. ;)

BassCliff

341 - 360 of 360 Posts