Springfield XD Forum banner
321 - 332 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Haven't visited the local Big 5 in a while--thought today was delivery day--apparently they have cut back and are doing every other week deliveries. Ammo counter guy anticipates ammo prices to continue to ratchet up.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Hi,

Haven't visited the local Big 5 in a while--thought today was delivery day--apparently they have cut back and are doing every other week deliveries. Ammo counter guy anticipates ammo prices to continue to ratchet up.
My local Big 5 is still getting their shipments every other week. I tend to stop by once a week anyway just to say "Hi!" and chat a bit. Sometimes you wanna go...where every body knows your name... :D I have not visited the store near my work recently. I should drop in soon just to make sure they are still getting their shipments on Mondays, probably every other week too.

Prices seem to be going up now because of inflation rather than shortage. But that's just my gut feeling. Who knows?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: clueless88

·
Registered
857 Posts
Inflation? We have been reassured that inflation should not be a problem. Maybe I misunderstood--I assumed that when he and Psaki psaid that inflation would not be a problem, I thought they meant that there would be no inflation. I now realize they mean is that there would be no problems for them producing inflation.

·
Registered
499 Posts
😆 that's what keeps me from shooting my 1911. I'm afraid I won't be able to replenish the ammo I shoot. Iv been having a blast using the laser trainer though. I need to purchase a new laser for 9mm.

·
Registered
857 Posts
On a hunch I went to the large chain store a few towns away before it opened. There were two folks who had the same idea before I did. Before the doors opened there were around a dozen in line. The store received a limited amount of 9mm--just 4 boxes of 200 WWB--thankfully I was able to snag the two remaining boxes. Am glad that the person in front of me didn't buy any 9mm otherwise I would have been skunked again!

First ammo purchase in about a month. Although clearly the inventory isn't what it was in early summer, the store/chain has not changed the price for the WWB 9mm. Hope I didn't speak too soon.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Hi guys,

😆 that's what keeps me from shooting my 1911. I'm afraid I won't be able to replenish the ammo I shoot. Iv been having a blast using the laser trainer though. I need to purchase a new laser for 9mm.
My local big 5 has had a decent amount of .45 on the shelves lately. I just don't have anything to shoot it with...yet. ;) I'm planning to stop by after work today to see what's left on the shelf. Today is their shipment day.

On a hunch I went to the large chain store a few towns away before it opened. There were two folks who had the same idea before I did. Before the doors opened there were around a dozen in line. The store received a limited amount of 9mm--just 4 boxes of 200 WWB--thankfully I was able to snag the two remaining boxes. Am glad that the person in front of me didn't buy any 9mm otherwise I would have been skunked again!

First ammo purchase in about a month. Although clearly the inventory isn't what it was in early summer, the store/chain has not changed the price for the WWB 9mm. Hope I didn't speak too soon.
Excellent! I'm glad you were able to pad your inventory. I've hung onto some gig money for a couple weeks now hoping to do the same. We'll see what happens after work today. :)

BassCliff

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 · (Edited)
Hello my friends,

I stopped by my local Big 5 on the way home from work this evening knowing that they received their ammo shipment this morning. Lately they've had some goods left on the shelf for me. I guess my luck wasn't too bad today.

Product Shelf Shelving Publication Font

They had no .22LR and no 9mm practice ammo, just hollow point. They had .38, .380, .40S&W, .45ACP, .223, 5.56, 7.62, misc. shotgun. Dang, I need to get me a 1911 in .45.

Anyway, I bought the last 50 round box of the Sig V-Crown they had.

Audio equipment Font Eyewear Gadget Circuit component

They still had plenty of the Norma MHP but that was in smaller 20 round boxes for more money per round. I'll pick up some more of that some other time when I have more gig money saved up. With my veterans discount I paid just shy of $1.03 per round for the Sig SD ammo, about the same as last time. The Norma MHP is closer to $1.75 per round.

So today's hunting and gathering mission was not a total loss. I'll try again in a couple weeks. Slow and steady wins the race. ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
Hi,

Wow, I'd forgotten it was only four days ago that I'd picked up a box. On the way home from work today, on a whim, I decided to stop by the other Big 5 store that's closer to my office. They usually get their shipments on Monday. When the gentleman behind the counter asked if he could help me I said I'm just looking to see if there is any 9mm left on the shelf.

Product Shelf Shelving Publication Retail

He said they received no 9mm at all today. Bummer. But they still had a bit of 9mm hollow point left over. I picked up another box of the Sig V-Crown, their last one, because it was the better deal over the Norma MHP. It was a smidge over $1 a round as opposed to $1.75 a round.

Font Material property Rectangle Packaging and labeling Box

I'm itching to get out to a range soon for some live fire practice. Maybe Saturday. Until then I'll just keep trying to pick up a box or two a week. There's a gun show close to me this weekend. I'll try to attend. Maybe I can pick up a deal there. Be kind, act justly, love mercy, walk humbly, fear not, stay free!

BassCliff

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
Greetings!

It seems I stopped by my local Big 5 on the wrong Thursday. Oh well.

Automotive parking light Car Sky Wheel Land vehicle

They are due their regular shipment next Thursday. But they had a few boxes of my favorite SD ammo so I picked up a couple.

Food Font Material property Office equipment Calculator

With my little discount these were just shy of $1.30 per round. Not bad. I got really lucky last week and was able to pick up 250 rounds of PMC practice ammo for only $23.50 a box. I was talking to a friend at work, told him how much ammo I had in my inventory (~3500 rounds) and he said, "You don't have near enough!" Well. I guess I'll have to go buy some more then. ;) This friend is a range hound and goes though 1000 rounds a week. He reloads too. Sigh. I hope to have a habit like that one day. :p

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
857 Posts
Large chain store few towns down had no 9mm on their usual delivery truck last week. This week they had no target 9mm or bulk 22, but they did have some 20 round boxes of JHP 9mm--Winchester Silvertip 115gr and 147gr--I bought the maximum of 5 total. Getting 100 rounds didn't seem to be a great haul, but better than leaving empty handed.

Will see if the ammo prices will bump up even more like food and gas has lately.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Hi,

Large chain store few towns down had no 9mm on their usual delivery truck last week. This week they had no target 9mm or bulk 22, but they did have some 20 round boxes of JHP 9mm--Winchester Silvertip 115gr and 147gr--I bought the maximum of 5 total. Getting 100 rounds didn't seem to be a great haul, but better than leaving empty handed.

Will see if the ammo prices will bump up even more like food and gas has lately.
That's the way I feel. Why waste a trip? It doesn't hurt to add SD ammo at a slow and steady pace. I'm a bit concerned about prices too. With inflation, taxes, supply chain issues, etc, even the price of bacon has gone up a dollar a pound in the last couple of weeks. Don't get me started! 😝

BassCliff

321 - 332 of 332 Posts