Springfield XD Forum banner

221 - 240 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
Got ammo?
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 · (Edited)
Greetings Patriots!

Don't tell my boss. I had an ophthalmologist appointment mid-morning today so I just took a whole sick day. It's probably best since the doctor dilated my pupils. Even though it was a gloomy day it still seemed really bright when left the doctor's office. I had to wear my sun glasses as I drove over to my local Turner's on the way home, sort of, not really. It's Monday after all and as long as I'm out and about I might as well see if I can pick up some ammo. Hmmm, there's no line in front of the store at 11am. That could be a bad sign. Let's go look at the sign. Maybe it's a good sign.

Yay! There is ammo in the store. Cool! The pistol calibers are severely limited. Not cool.

I got ticket #33 as I entered the store and the counter was on #29. I won't have too long to wait today. Even though our sign said they have primers, it seems they have no powder and very few bullets.

Wow! I'm glad I stopped by when I did. It looks like they are down to about a dozen boxes of 9mm. I decided not to pick up any .22LR today. Maybe I should've.

I still got a nice yellow bag to bring home my little present to myself.

Today's box cost $28.49 with my 5% ex-military discount. (Normal retail was $29.99 for the box.) That works out to about 57 cents a round. That's more than I like to pay but I won't complain, much. I would've bought more it they'd let me.

It's just your generic Blazer Brass. They also had some Federal with the red polymer coating on the balls. They looked like little lipstick cases. Too cute for me. ;) I'm going to try to save my gig money for my next ammo run. I'm taking another sick day in a couple weeks to get dental work done. Hopefully I won't drool on my ammo too much. :D

Thanks for coming along on today's moderate success, and for commiserating with me. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
Got ammo?
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Hi,

Good report, BC.

Do you know what kind of primers?
I'm sorry, I didn't ask. They usually carry the Federal Champion small pistol primers. But these days you really never can tell. Next time I'll ask just to satisfy our curiosity.

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 · (Edited)
Hi,

Should have bought the “lipstick” rounds for your wife.:D
Ya know what? Next time I see a box I will pick one up for her. I'm sure she'll think they're cute.

I made another run to my local Big 5 after work. They will rarely have some ammo left this late in the afternoon but I like to stop by just to chat with my little "ammo angel" Kristen. When she saw me she said, "Hey Cliff! I gotta talk to you!" I was hoping she had saved me a couple boxes. ;)

As it turns out, Kristen got a promotion and is moving up to a management position at one of their distribution centers. She'll be leaving in a couple weeks. Good for her. Now she won't have to deal with jerks like me who come in the store raising a ruckus. :D I'm going to miss her.

Since they were all out of ammo I needed I just picked up some cleaning patches and a new cleaning cloth for my pistols. When I got home I discovered that my Wheeler punch set had arrived. It was on sale at Midway for less than $25 so I clicked on it. It will come in handy.

I'll make another run to Turner's on Monday. Hopefully I'll get there in time before they run out. Last week their limit was only one box. I'm hoping maybe I'll get to buy two boxes next time. :p

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX and Pandaz3

·
Registered
Got ammo?
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Hi guys!

I’m always happy for people who get promoted but sad at the same time because they are leaving. It’s difficult to find good help now days.
Yes, it's bittersweet. Parting is such sweet sorrow, and all that rot. ;) Kristen's a good gal. The young lady taking her place, Ashley, is cool. They all think I'm a kindly old gentleman. :p

I’m retiring next Friday. This sums it up nicely for me.
Congratulations! I was going to retire at the end of last year, but then the world blew up and I decided to keep my job for a while. I'm really hoping to retire at the end of this year, if not sooner. We'll see. :D

Next time you go, grab that Bug-A-Salt off the rack.

It's sooooooo much fun. :)
Ha! I've seen these around. They do look like fun. We don't have much of a housefly problem but if they get annoying this summer I will pick up one of those salters. Can I get an optic for one? :ROFLMAO:

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
RE: Bug-A-Salt

Ha! I've seen these around. They do look like fun. We don't have much of a housefly problem but if they get annoying this summer I will pick up one of those salters. Can I get an optic for one? :ROFLMAO:
^ There's a model with a laser underneath, and that's the one I have. You need to sight it in (the instructions tell you how, using a sheet of aluminum foil to "print" the pattern) and mind your sight/bore axis, as engagement distance is about 18-24 inches.

There's a sweet-spot to the pattern that likely varies a little on each gun. Too far, there's little to no damage. Too close, and you'll literally either blow the fly to mush (yuck) or launch it harmlessly into the air.

Don't bother getting their branded salt. Just your usual table-salt works great.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Hi!

RE: Bug-A-Salt

^ There's a model with a laser underneath, and that's the one I have. You need to sight it in (the instructions tell you how, using a sheet of aluminum foil to "print" the pattern) and mind your sight/bore axis, as engagement distance is about 18-24 inches.

There's a sweet-spot to the pattern that likely varies a little on each gun. Too far, there's little to no damage. Too close, and you'll literally either blow the fly to mush (yuck) or launch it harmlessly into the air.

Don't bother getting their branded salt. Just your usual table-salt works great.
Wow! A laser sight on a bug killer! Fabulous! That sounds like too much fun. :ROFLMAO:

BassCliff

·
Registered
488 Posts
They are a Hoot! One year I burned through two hoppers full in about an hour out on the carport. The flys were absolutely horrible that fall but I thinned them out. What’s cool is they can’t hide behind moldings or in crevices. Bwahahaha.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
They are a Hoot! One year I burned through two hoppers full in about an hour out on the carport. The flys were absolutely horrible that fall but I thinned them out. What’s cool is they can’t hide behind moldings or in crevices. Bwahahaha.
Just be aware that salt is corrosive and anything metal that it lands on when shot from the asalt weapon will rust/corrode.

Something to keep in mind when blasting the little buzzturds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Got ammo?
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Hello Patriots!

I had such high hopes for today. I had some dental work scheduled so I took a whole sick day off hoping to hit a couple of LGS spots around my appointment and pick up some more ammo. I got to my local Turner's before they opened and I was actually third in line. I usually don't get here until 11:30 or so. I was really looking forward to buying my limit.

But when I got in line I saw this on the window. Drat!

I was hoping that the sign was left over from the day before but the patriots in line with me told me that it was just put there a few minutes ago. Bother! My first stop was a bust. I chatted a bit with the other folks in line about their quest for CCW permits. As it turns out I was farther along in the process so I was happy to pass along what I knew. I also told them I was headed for another Big 5 store just a couple of suburbs away from my regular store. This other Big 5 store also gets their ammo shipments on Monday. There was a sign on the front of that store too. I quickly glanced at it and saw they had 9mm, five boxes!

As it turns out, what I thought was going to be a five box limit turned out to be five boxes of 9mm total for their shipment this morning. Drat and bother! Of course that sold out quickly and there was no 9mm left. They did have .22 so I picked up a 250 round pack. Even though I've got lots of .22 for my little six-shooter I didn't want to waste a trip. I'm still window shopping a .22 semi-auto and hoping the Advantage Arms conversion kit is back in stock one day.

This 40 grain Aguila was "only" $19.99, that's about 8 cents a round. The limit today was one box, I'll take it. If there's any left tomorrow there will be no limit. All the Big 5 stores impose limits on shipment day but after that, whatever's left has no limits. With the recent good news from Mr. Venderbrink hopefully there will be more ammo available soon. Then perhaps I won't have to take a day off work to hunt and gather. ;)

This Big 5 store is close enough to work that I could run over there on my lunch hour. I long for the day when there will be ammo on the shelves for more than a couple hours. I guess we all do. Until then, stay strong, be patient and kind, act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.

BassCliff

Attachments

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
Got ammo?
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Greetings shootists!

Since I'm back to working remotely I was able to run over to my friendly neighborhood Turner's to try and pick up some ammo this morning. I arrived about 15 minutes after the doors opened and found no line. I wonder what that means.

I looked at the notice out front and saw that they had ammo but it was severely limited. I walked in the door and my ammo angel, Lori, recognized me and said, "Hi! Hey! We've got nine today!" I took number 87 and waited my turn.

While I waited I noticed that they had a few bullets on the shelves but not powder or primers. You see three boxes of 9mm balls on the bottom shelf and a smattering of odds and ends on the top shelf.

The bright yellow bag that makes me feel like Christmas was not very full but I went home with my treasure of 50 rounds Agula practice ammo. Today you could buy either 50 rounds of range ammo or 50 rounds of SD.

Even with my %5 veteran discount this box was $31.34, that's not quite 63 cents a round. Ouch! I'm hoping Thursday I'll be able to pick up some more at my local Big 5 at a little better price. Wish me luck! I wish you all the best in your ammo excursions. :)

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Hi!

I got to go on a bonus ammo hunting and gathering trip today. When I left my dental appointment I decided to stop by another Big 5 store that I know gets its ammo shipments on Monday. How lucky would I be?

As it turns out, even though there was one box of Hornady SD ammo on the shelf, they were not selling any ammo today at all. I don't know why.

I can only speculate that there were no properly credentialed sales clerks in the store today. You know how uptight this state is. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a chance to stop back by and see if I get lucky. Otherwise, I'll try my luck on Thursday at the other Big 5. :p

BassCliff

·
Premium Member
17,997 Posts
Been having good fortune at the closest Academy store here in NC. 300 rds of Browning 124 gr 9mm for $117 OTD, which is $19.50 per 50rd box tax included.

221 - 240 of 248 Posts