Springfield XD Forum banner

201 - 220 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Thanks guys!

^ Agreed. Your diligence has paid off, @BassCliff . :)

----

RE: "defensive ammo" -

Be -ABSOLUTELY- sure that you've properly vetted the ammo for function and external ballistics (i.e. "zero") before you actually put it into your magazine(s)/gun(s) for that purpose.

I know....we're in the middle of a shortage, and what's available is expensive: but look at it this way - what price do you put on your life and the lives of your loved ones?

The good thing is that - typically - something going wrong will tend to manifest in the first few rounds, rather than 50 or even 25 rounds-in. If your magazine and gun will feed the first 5 rounds, that's a good sign that it'll likely finish a magazine of 15+ of the same. In today's terms, for a new shooter who has not had a chance to gather a sufficient quantity of any one particular make/model of ammo in order to complete such vetting, I'd say a minimum of five rounds, and that if it were me, I'd push to 10 (or whatever the magazine capacity is, if less than that).

However, remember, it's not a certainty until you've proven it - and even then, proving it twice is better than once. Running a full three mags of that specific ammo through that specific magazine is something that I would encourage you to work towards as supply allows in the future.

And remember, absolutely baby those defensive mags, and keep them well-segregated from your practice/range mags.

----

I know, on the one hand, I keep telling you and other new gun owners that they need to buy small quantities of a wide variety of ammo in order to see what actually works well with their gun.....

...and now I am also telling you that you need to have a sufficient quantity of that one certain ammo so as to be able to vet it via multiple magazines' full for function and external ballistics.

Unfortunately, doing one's due really is like this......
^This.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have vetted a lot of different ammo. Used up what wasn’t reliable, bought more of what was. Most if not all of my SD ammo is HST, my range ammo is a mix of 80% Federal, the rest IMI, some Browning and bit of leftover Perfecta.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom. It is difficult to vet my "favorite" ammo since every time I find some it's a different brand. But it won't hurt to at least try a mag of a couple of the SD brands we have the most of. Since Mrs. BassCliff seems to like the Sig V-Crown I'll make sure she can get through a whole magazine (7 or 8 rounds) with no issues. If successful this will still leave most of the box for any "special guests" she might like to be inhospitable with. ;)

I'm confident my XD9 will eat it all but perhaps I'll start with a mag of the Speer Gold Dot. I've got 60 rounds of that right now. Let's see; Sig V-Crown (50), Hornady Critical Defense (25), Barnes Tac-X (20), Speer Gold Dot (60), Federal Punch (20), Ammo Inc JHP (50), so I guess that's just six different types of SD ammo. (I fixed my previous post.) We will do a small test to be sure at least two types will cycle through. It will be in my next range report, in maybe a week or so.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
308 Posts
Greetings Patriots!

Today was not the best day I've ever had hunting and gathering ammo. I'm trying to widen my territory to improve my chances. I started at my usual Monday stop at the local Turner's Outdoorsman.

View attachment 833025

Since I had today off I was hopeful that I'd be able to arrive early enough. I had some yard work to do first and then made it to Turner's at 11:30 am. I was expecting a line but I was not expecting this.

View attachment 833026

I slunk past everyone in line, avoiding the inquisitive stares, poked my head in the door and said "Hi" to Lori just to double-check if they were really out of 9mm. She said they didn't receive any today beyond a few boxes of hollow point which sold out quickly. I told her not to worry. This will give me an excuse to come visit her next week. She said, "Awww, won't that be nice?" :D

Since Ammo Bros are not too far away, just on the other side of the freeway, I decided to strike out on an adventure and see what this store is like. There are a few of them in the area. It was almost noon when I found the line in front of Ammo Bros. Oh boy, a new line.

View attachment 833027

One of the clerks happened to be outside taking stock of the customer base. When he asked I said I was looking for 9mm and was told that all they had left were hollow points. I thought, OK, I need a bit more SD ammo so I'll stick around. An hour later I made it to the front of the line.

View attachment 833028

They had more than a dozen boxes of 115 grain JHP in 9mm on the shelf. When I saw the price I was a little disappointed but decided to pick up a box anyway since I'd waited all this time.

View attachment 833029

I asked the clerk if Monday was their usual shipment day. He said it actually happens later in the week but it varies and to stop by on Wednesday through Friday to see what's available. I'm wondering if he was being vague on purpose. But since they are not a major retail big box store, even though there are a few of these stores in the area, perhaps their suppliers just send it when they can. Who knows? I liked the look of the store.

View attachment 833030

They had a good selection of accessories and supplies along with quite a few long guns in stock but not quite as many handguns.

View attachment 833031

I did the deal and then hurried home with my treasure. At their price I decided to pick up only one 50 round box of these hollow points. I also picked up a bore shake for my daughter's .22 cowboy pistol.

View attachment 833032

At $80 for this 50 round box I was not jumping for joy at my luck. Did I just pay $1.60 per round? Yeeowch! I hope to never do that again. I'd never purchased this brand before so, for all of you gun nerds, here is the ballistic information.

View attachment 833033

So while I as able to expand my collection of self-defense ammo, it did not leave me with any warm fuzzies. If I remember correctly I've got about 200 rounds of various SD ammo, adding yet another different type today. Perhaps when I get 500 rounds of SD ammo I'll actually start shooting it to make sure this stuff is going to work. ;)

Thanks for coming along today. It's a jungle out there. :D

BassCliff
The velocity on that ammo is a little low, those look like Premium Hornady projectiles. $1.60 just plain hurts. Dude iv Been in the hobby long enough to know that ammogeddon happens every 4 years, so I stock up and always keep a reserve but this is the worst ammogeddon iv seen. Next step is air rifles they really can be just as much fun if not more. If you intend to shoot in the back yard a .177 at 6-700fps is the perfect power to report ratio. A single shot co2 powered rig is perfect for up to 35yards. With well placed shots you can still take rats.

You can hear the pellets wack ther target. At 20 yards I can stack pellets.

At 40 yards.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Greetings Patriots!

Today I made my regular run to my local Turner's Outdoorsman to look for 9mm. I wanted to start replacing the ammo I've used at my recent range trips. I had a reasonable amount of luck!

I was quite surprised that there was no line today. I walked right up to the door and waited for my little ammo angel, Lori, to greet me like it said on the sign. She gave me number 32 and I saw that number 28 was currently being serviced.

While I was waiting I browsed. They had a few bullets on the shelf but no primers or powder.

In the case they had some cheap .22LR semi autos. I'd like one for plinking so I'm researching this pistol, the Phoenix Arms HP22. They seem a bit quirky but not bad for a cheap plinker.

Turner's has a couple of display cases for their "high end" ammo, 224, 257, 25-06, 45-70, 300 Win, etc.

I was just glad to see that they had 9mm left. I picked up some .22LR while I was there. Why not? These bright yellow bags still make me feel like Christmas!

Let's open our present and see what the ammo angels delivered.

I got the limit of 100 rounds of WWB 9mm and 525 rounds of 36 grain "high velocity" hollow point .22LR. This is better luck than I've had recently. The prices have gone up a couple of bucks since the last time I found ammo. The 9mm was $28 a box, 56 cents a round (ouch!), and the .22LR was $45, 8.6 cents a round (still not toooo bad).

I'm still waiting for prices to stabilize. But Lori gave me a flyer to a local place that occasionally sells case lots. I'll get on their mailing list and hope for the best. I'll let you know. It's still a jungle out there.

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Hi!

The velocity on that ammo is a little low, those look like Premium Hornady projectiles. $1.60 just plain hurts. Dude iv Been in the hobby long enough to know that ammogeddon happens every 4 years, so I stock up and always keep a reserve but this is the worst ammogeddon iv seen. Next step is air rifles they really can be just as much fun if not more. If you intend to shoot in the back yard a .177 at 6-700fps is the perfect power to report ratio. A single shot co2 powered rig is perfect for up to 35yards. With well placed shots you can still take rats.
View attachment 833046
You can hear the pellets wack ther target. At 20 yards I can stack pellets.
View attachment 833047
At 40 yards.
Yes, I've been kicking around the idea of air rifles or pistols. It certainly would be fun to plink in the back yard with the whole family.

Those look like some pretty nice scopes on those air rifles. Did the scopes cost as much as the rifle? Anyway, I window shop the air arms every time I hunt and gather ammo. Maybe one of these days. ;) For now, my laser cartridge is enough, sort of. :D

BassCliff

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I don't think we can shoot pellets or BB's in the city limits, you might check your local ordinances.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Hi,

I don't think we can shot pellets or BB's in the city limits, you might check your local ordinances.
Oh my. What kind of state do we live in? I will check local ordinances. Thanks for the heads up. As a young lad in the South we used to go out into the back yard and shoot anything we wanted. But that was small town rural life, a different world, a long time ago. ;)

BassCliff

Reactions: Pandaz3

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't think we can shoot pellets or BB's in the city limits, you might check your local ordinances.
Yeah I'm sure your right, My aunts only neighbor is 2A friendly and has a grandson who is 9 years old. He brings him over ever time we plink. I don't own any BB guns as those things ricochet off of everything. Pellets on a hard back drop are super safe. I have plenty of spinning steel targets. Kids will be kids so I'm always supervising reminding them of safety first.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Hi,

Now that's just silly! :p

I did make my weekly pilgrimage to Turner's, almost every Monday, in search of things that make my XD go bang. I was over joyed that there was no line!

But then I got to the door and I realized why there was no line. Bummer.

Nope, no primers or powder either. I saw a few .45 bullets but no 9mm bullets at all. However, I was not about to waste this trip. Last week I saw a couple of little .22 pistols in the display case, cheap Phoenix Arms HP22 that would be inexpensive plinking fun. I got a number and went on in. I was pleased to see that their display of long guns and pistols was starting to grow. This is the most inventory I've ever seen in this store.

Unfortunately the two HP22 pistols had already been sold (only $159). I should have picked one up last week when I successfully bought ammo. That'll teach me. So I came up empty this week. Oh well, there's always next week.

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Greetings Patriots!

Well, I made my weekly trek down to my local Turners in the hopes that the cold and the rain kept others from buying up all the ammo in the store. There was no line!

But drat, like last week there was no line because there was very little ammo received at the store today.

They had .357Mag and buckshot today, not a lot else. So I looked to see what they had in stock as far as .22 pistols. There was a cute little Ruger for $260. Maybe I should've picked it up. Then again, I'm hoping to get the Advantage Arms conversion kit for my XD9. Oh crap, I just want it all. :D

BassCliff

Reactions: ZanderMan

·
Premium Member
17,997 Posts
Stopped by Academy in Burlington NC and they had a good stash of various ammo but opted for 50 rds of 12 ga 7-1/2 shot for me and 50 rds for my wife so I could go do sporting clays.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Hi,

Stopped by Academy in Burlington NC and they had a good stash of various ammo but opted for 50 rds of 12 ga 7-1/2 shot for me and 50 rds for my wife so I could go do sporting clays.
Have you done any ammo hunting since last week? Is everyone else buying a box or two a week? Or are you paying the outrageous prices to have it shipped to you? Just curious. I know, it's very different here on the Left Coast.

I made my weekly trek to my local Turner's and even though there was a line at the front door I was not dismayed. That means they might have ammo today! Woo hoo!

Then my heart sank when I saw the sign on the front window.

Then I saw my little ammo angel, Lori, at the front of the line letting customers in according to capacity protocols. That's her in the red shirt.

I got her attention and asked if they were really all out of 9mm. I was happy when she told me that they were out of ball but still had a good bit of 9mm JHP. I need more SD ammo anyway. She gave me a number and let me in. Yay!

Even though they were serving #67 and I had #79 it wasn't much of a wait. A few customers didn't or couldn't wait. When I got up to the counter one of the clerks was putting out new stock. Wow! I almost pulled out my credit card.

There were a couple of G19 pistols, one with night sights, a Baretta, and a Sig, all in 9mm. I've already got two 9mm so I'm thinking my next pistol will be a .45. That little Kahr P380 was already there. It's cute, but for that money I can get a decent 911 in .45. So I left my credit card in my wallet today. I hurried home with my yellow bag that makes me feel like Christmas. ;)

I did really well today considering I've had no luck at all here for the last couple of weeks.

Now I have yet another brand of SD ammo, plus I picked up 500 more rounds of .22LR. I'm going to have to buy another .22 pistol so I can shoot it all. Darn. Let's see, the .22 was $35.14 for the box (7 cents a round) and a box of the Aguila JHP was $33.24 (66.48 cents a round). Hey! That's not bad at all for SD ammo, it's usually near a dollar a round or more. Plus they give me a 5% veteran discount, almost $4 off. I'm not complaining! I'd call this a pretty successful hunting/gathering excursion. Thanks for coming along. I hope to see you next week with more good news.

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Premium Member
17,997 Posts
Have you done any ammo hunting since last week? Is everyone else buying a box or two a week? Or are you paying the outrageous prices to have it shipped to you? Just curious. I know, it's very different here on the Left Coast.

BassCliff
A little of both. I needed an injection of .223 so ordered 300 rds online. For the most part I have been able to find enough 12 ga for sporting clays but still building up stock a little every week. My wife tolerates my bullet & bourbon hunting only so far.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Hi,

A little of both... My wife tolerates my bullet & bourbon hunting only so far.
I hear you, brother, I hear you. ;)

Except with me it's a good, dark beer. :)

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 · (Edited)
Greetings Patriots!

It was a slow day telecommuting. I decided to make a quick run to my local hunting and gathering spots. They all tend to get their shipments on Thursday morning so I was hoping there might be a box or two left on the shelf here late on a Friday morning.

My first stop was Ammo Brothers. I'd purchased some overpriced SD ammo on a Monday here a few weeks ago and was told that they get their regular shipments "late in the week". Today there was no line out front like there was last time.

When I looked at the sign out front I figured out why. ;)

They had .22LR and a little rifle and shotgun ammo.

Not too far from Ammo Bros is my neighborhood Turner's Outdoorsman. Turner's gets shipments twice a week, on Monday and Thursday. Let's see if they have any 9mm left.

As Jeff Foxworthy would say, "Here's yer sign."

Today it looks like Turner's is in the same shape as Ammo Bros, some 22LR, a little rifle, and nothing else. OK, let's hit one more place on the way home.

The Big 5 is a mile from my house, maybe two. They get their shipment on Thursday morning too.

But it was "No soup for you!" today.

It looks like Big 5 didn't even have any .22LR today, just a smattering of shotgun and rifle. I think I see some .17 on the shelf. Oh well.

There was a young fellow also perusing the counter and asked what I was looking for. He seemed friendly enough and told me about this magical candy store place where ammo is stocked high on the shelves and the customers are allowed to touch it themselves and fill up shopping carts. I thanked him and made a note to look up LAX Ammunition (Orange County) when I got home.

This place is not convenient enough to get to on my lunch hour. Maybe I'll make a trek down there on a weekend. We'll see. It sounds too good to be true. Their website is not very informative and just says "call us for inventory and pricing".

And that's how I spent my lunch hour today. At least I got out in the fresh air and sunshine for a few minutes. I also drove through the car wash, my truck was a bit spotted after the recent rains.

I hope your ammo hunting and gathering is going well. Thanks for letting me waste your electrons. Take care, be safe, God bless.

BassCliff

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I have ordered from LAX several times, I have bought 380, 9 MM, 40 S&W, 10 MM from them. I have plenty of 45 and shoot so little 45 that I have not tried factory new LAX ammo. Happy with the rest. Lately most FMJ have had a octagonal hollow point, non-expanding Not SD ammo but I like it better than regular FMJ round point.

Your shopping shows you need a 40!

Reactions: BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
HI,

I have ordered from LAX several times, I have bought 380, 9 MM, 40 S&W, 10 MM from them. I have plenty of 45 and shoot so little 45 that I have not tried factory new LAX ammo. Happy with the rest. Lately most FMJ have had a octagonal hollow point, non-expanding Not SD ammo but I like it better than regular FMJ round point.

Your shopping shows you need a 40!
Very cool, thanks for letting me know. I'll have to make it into LAX and check out the store. But I'm thinking my next major handgun purchase will be a 1911 in .45. We'll see. One day at a time, sweet Jesus. :)

BassCliff

·
Premium Member
17,997 Posts
Man, I scored big-time, at least for me. Have been doing more sporting clays recently with a Sarsilmaz Verona. But, finding 12 ga game load has been TOUGH.

Stopped by Bass Pro on the way home from the beach. Had a couple carts out near the firearms section with no more than 2 dozen boxes of a variety of stuff.

Lo and behold... a CARTON (10 boxes) of Federal game load. Asked the guy behind the counter if I had to pull each box out of the carton and what the limit was. “5 boxes but you can buy the carton and that hits your 5-box limit even though there’s 10 boxes in the carton.” 250 rds for $91... I’m good for the summer.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Hi!

Man, I scored big-time, at least for me. Have been doing more sporting clays recently with a Sarsilmaz Verona. But, finding 12 ga game load has been TOUGH.

Stopped by Bass Pro on the way home from the beach. Had a couple carts out near the firearms section with no more than 2 dozen boxes of a variety of stuff.

Lo and behold... a CARTON (10 boxes) of Federal game load. Asked the guy behind the counter if I had to pull each box out of the carton and what the limit was. “5 boxes but you can buy the carton and that hits your 5-box limit even though there’s 10 boxes in the carton.” 250 rds for $91... I’m good for the summer.
Woo hoo! SCORE! Great hunting. ;)

Tomorrow I'll give it another try. If I get there early enough maybe I can pick up a hundred rounds at Turner's.

BassCliff

Reactions: ZanderMan

·
Registered
Got ammo?
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 · (Edited)
Greetings Patriots!

Today is Thursday, the day my local Big 5 gets its shipment. I haven't been able to stand in line early in the morning because of my work schedule. Since I had other personal errands and projects to do today I took the whole day off work to stand in line before opening. I arrived an hour and a half before doors opened and was the fifth Patriot in line. I brought along my new issue of "The Armory Life" to read while waiting for the store to open at 10am.

I learned about the Hellcat and accessories, the Ronin 1911, how to zero your carbine, etc. Then there was a bit of activity at the front door! Wait! It's too early! Oh, I see. The clerk posted the available stock for the day. I took my turn and walked up to verify that they would have some ammo for me. Yay!

My little ammo angel Kristen, who knows me by name, says, "Are you having your usual?" :LOL: Bless her heart. I said, "Yes, my dear. Load me up!" They did not get a huge shipment today but the first ten people in line should be happy. There were about fourteen people in line when the store opened.

I did not get the usual gray bag in which Big 5 sends home their goods. Instead I got this cool Winchester cardboard box. Wow!

I bought my limit, two hundred rounds of Federal 9mm and 500 rounds of Blazer .22LR. It was a pretty good day. It's not been often lately that I've been able to pick up my limit.

I must have over 3000 rounds of .22LR now. I'm going to have to buy another .22 pistol to shoot all this ammo. I have only the one Rough Rider cowboy gun to shoot .22 with. The cost for today's excursion is still creeping up. The 100 round box of Federal was $49.99 (50 cents/round), and the same $49.99 for the 500 pack of Blazer (10 cents/round). It's been a few weeks since I've been able to score any 9mm practice ammo. Now maybe I can go to the range, have a little fun, and still keep my minimum inventory intact. I hope all of you are having just as much luck, or even more, finding bang beads to feed your hungry chambers. I'm hoping to get out for some practice soon, maybe next weekend. I'd like to see if all my laser cartridge practice is going to pay off. I hope so, otherwise I'm driving Mrs. BassCliff crazy for no reason. :p

BassCliff

201 - 220 of 248 Posts