Springfield XD Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Hopefully two weeks later I will be able to protect myself and my family with all the tools at my disposal.
When you get a chance......

• Shoot-house and vehicle-based classes will help you cement the skills and techniques you've acquired on the flat-range and start to help you look at the puzzle in a more real-world manner.
  • Force-on-force will help you "pressure-cook" your techniques and tactics in real-life scenarios.
  • Integrated combatives will help you understand that it is about problem-solving, and that it is not always about getting to your weapon(s).

(y)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Hi,

When you get a chance......

• Shoot-house and vehicle-based classes will help you cement the skills and techniques you've acquired on the flat-range and start to help you look at the puzzle in a more real-world manner.
  • Force-on-force will help you "pressure-cook" your techniques and tactics in real-life scenarios.
  • Integrated combatives will help you understand that it is about problem-solving, and that it is not always about getting to your weapon(s).

(y)
Yes, excellent recommendations. I'll be scheduling more training with my new instructor, starting with him in a couple of weeks. I will ask about all of this but I have a feeling I'll have to go to Front Sight or other dedicated training facility. I'll need to save my gig money. ;)

I've known my "new instructor" for a long time as a musician but did not know he was an NRA instructor and RSO, ex-LEO, and was a Marine combat engineer officer, etc. We'll start with drawing from concealed and CQC then work our way up to more tactical defense scenarios. I still have a lot to learn, from basic defense mechanics to defending myself/family in different real-world situations. It's a mindset too. Right now I'm reading an article about 13 Common Concealed Carry Mistakes and How To Avoid Them. And I'm researching CCW insurance. Sometimes it's complicated being a responsible law-abiding adult. :D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would whole heartedly support a Front Sight 4 day defensive handgun class. There are certificates that can be had for cheap. Same with lifetime memberships. You spend 4 days and most will be basic, but you advance pretty quickly they the class. It is challenging if you press yourself to try to get the Distinguished Graduate Cert. a lot of very good shooters go thru the class.

But be aware, a lot of people like to trash talk it. Just know that it is just ONE stop along the way of your shooting journey. Just like some are die hard finger bassists while others are pick players. Which one are you? I switch depending.

PM if you want some suggestions on where to stay in Pahrump and other info.

PS-Visit the thread on Calguns for a lot of info. Introduce yourself over there and a lot of people with tons of knowledge. Some of whom are what I call Front Sight junkies with multiple trips each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Hi,

I would whole heartedly support a Front Sight 4 day defensive handgun class. There are certificates that can be had for cheap. Same with lifetime memberships. You spend 4 days and most will be basic, but you advance pretty quickly they the class. It is challenging if you press yourself to try to get the Distinguished Graduate Cert. a lot of very good shooters go thru the class.

But be aware, a lot of people like to trash talk it. Just know that it is just ONE stop along the way of your shooting journey. Just like some are die hard finger bassists while others are pick players. Which one are you? I switch depending.

PM if you want some suggestions on where to stay in Pahrump and other info.

PS-Visit the thread on Calguns for a lot of info. Introduce yourself over there and a lot of people with tons of knowledge. Some of whom are what I call Front Sight junkies with multiple trips each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed. PM sent. I'm going to have to do something really special for Mrs. BassCliff to earn enough points for this trip. ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Greetings!

I was at the 4pm CCW qualifying session this afternoon. There were only five of us and two of them were from my class on 6/2/21. The other two were from the 6/9 class. Prado is a nice place, been there a couple of times.

First we had a session to talk about range safety and what was required of us to pass. It was hot in this room. I'm glad this part didn't take too long.

Then we made our way over to the pistol range where the RSO checked serial numbers, hung new targets, then let us shoot five rounds from a couple of mags.

All five of us fit in bay #2.

My mags are loaded, target is ready. We're just waiting to go bang.

I was excited and going to fast. I didn't shoot too well.

But it was good enough to pass! I'll drop this off on Monday.

Then my cert should arrive in about two weeks, the 28th or so. It's been a long, tedious, paperwork filled, expensive, waiting game that's almost over. Thanks for putting up with me. :p :D

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
It's a mindset too.
(y)

Mindset is a GREAT place to start.

Local/State concealed-carry Forums are often a treasure-trove of knowledge - particularly about local laws and issues.

In terms of "getting your mind right," I highly recommend the two resources:

(1) The late Dr.William Aprill's "Unthinkable" lecture/presentation, much of which is still available (and for free) on the PDN tribute page:

These videos are broken down into easy to digest segments, and covers a lot of the meat of his "Unthinkable" coursework. John E. Hearne has taken up the mantle in the late Dr. Aprill's absence, and if you can find his lectures, it's a great deep-diveinto "the statistics" of violent confrontations.

and
(2) Varg Freeborn's "Violence of Mind" is a complete re-orientation to violence for many, and is truly one of today's best reads in this area. He has a second book out, "Beyond OODA," which I'm going to start munching on as soon as I receive it in the mail. :)

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Interesting what a little stress does, no? ;)

Keep in mind that this is with a static target that's presenting belt-buckle-to-belt-buckle with you, who was also static, no? And what distance was this?

What if there was more pressure? What if the threat was moving? What if you had to process innocents in then background - or even foreground?

Guess what this means?

Yup - time to seek out more stress.

It's the only way. Like Clint Smith said, we must train towards magnificence.

Congrats on your hard-won California certification! Keep up the good work!!!!(y)

·
Registered
424 Posts

Keep in mind that this is with a static target that's presenting belt-buckle-to-belt-buckle with you, who was also static, no? And what distance was this?

What if there was more pressure? What if the threat was moving? What if you had to process innocents in then background - or even foreground?

Guess what this means?

Congrats on your hard-won California certification! Keep up the good work!!!!(y)
Exactly! Shooting to a timer, transitioning from target to target makes everything go out the window! But, it sure does bring out areas where you need to work on.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Hi guys,

Guess what this means?

Exactly! Shooting to a timer, transitioning from target to target makes everything go out the window! But, it sure does bring out areas where you need to work on.
I was quite disappointed at my qualification results. At least it was passable. I thought, "Hunh, five yards? Piece of cake!" But I let all of my training (what little I've had) and practice go right out the window. I know, that means more instruction and more practice. I'll get my new instructor to work me hard. This is a lot of responsibility so I want to do it right.

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
I was quite disappointed at my qualification results. At least it was passable. I thought, "Hunh, five yards? Piece of cake!" But I let all of my training (what little I've had) and practice go right out the window. I know, that means more instruction and more practice. I'll get my new instructor to work me hard. This is a lot of responsibility so I want to do it right.
Don't be so hard on yourself - simply take your performance at qualification as a lesson.

We all learn best when we're served with that piece of humble-pie, and Lord knows I've eaten my share of it in the past (and will continue to do so, I am certain!). Knowing what we don't know or can improve upon is the first step towards improvement. (y)

Not too long ago, I was served a big steaming chunk of that pie when I failed to meet marksmanship requirements in a shoot-house class. I decided on-the-spot that I needed to remediate, and made it a point to return to that same schoolhouse to get myself the help I needed. A few years before that, in an intermediate-level handgun class, the instructor cranked the target out to the 25 and asked the line to produce a head shot cold, on-demand. I made the shot but was humbled by missing the eyebox, so I booked the instructor for some private, one-on-one time to firm up my fundamentals.

Oh, and there's little that's more embarrassing than sitting through an entire debrief lecture, with your hand "comfortably" taped to fire-control.....

* Picture courtesy of Practically Tactical - what happened? ---> How to Clear Corners in a Home-Defense Scenario 🤪

I love me some of that pie.

Even just shooting for-fun with friends, we can still better each other:

^ After persistently missing a reasonably-sized target (Tac-Strike quarter-scale) at the 100 yard line with my 4.5-inch XDm9, my buddy gave me a good ribbin' before tuning me up so that I was able to get back on it. (y)

It's that humble pie. So tasty......

"Learning occurs only after repetitive demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers, EAG.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Greetings Patriots!

This came in the mail for me today.

It's amazing that it took two weeks to be able to carry in 30 states. It's taken seven months to be able to carry in my current home state. I will go to the range to qualify tomorrow. I will take the range card to the Sheriffs Office on Monday. Hopefully two weeks later I will be able to protect myself and my family with all the tools at my disposal. Thank you all for your counsel and encouragement.

BassCliff
YEAH BUDDY! So happy for you brother.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Thank you Mike!

YEAH BUDDY! So happy for you brother.
This is the last leg of my journey. This morning I visited the Sheriffs Department one more time. I'm thinking by now Sheriff McMahon and I should do lunch sometime. ;)

Masks are still required so I put one on my CCW Proficiency card and dropped it off at the Employee Services window.

Then to celebrate I stopped to buy ammo on the way home. It was a good day. I'm told my permit should arrive in the mail inside of two weeks. Just a little more patience is required.

Brothers and sisters, I gotta tell you. Now that this concealed carry seems like a certainty it's starting to change my attitude. Know that I've always taken this quest seriously, as well as my training and practice. I thought I would feel like I won something. But I don't really feel like a winner. Don't get me wrong, I feel proud, humbled, grateful, but not quite elated as I thought I would be. Instead, I'm starting to feel a bit weighed down by the burden and responsibility. I plan to continue my training, practice, study, research, etc, so that I can make good choices when it comes to CCW. As soon as my permit arrives I'll be buying CCW insurance that will also cover Mrs. BassCliff should she ever have to defend herself at home. She's not carrying (yet?) but it'll give us both peace of mind to know that a law firm will go to bat for us should the worse ever happen inside our home.

I'm familiar with Mas Ayoob/Wilson Combat's Youtube channel. He's got some good discussion regarding when to use lethal force. Would you recommend any other online resources? How about a good book or two to read on the subject? I will also familiarize myself with the local laws and restrictions. Thank you.

OK, now I'm just going to keep an eye on my mailbox. Thanks for coming along with me. I appreciate this community. God bless.

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
^ A heavy responsibility, it is. I am very glad you see it as such.

I'll take you back to my earlier post above, post number 86 (BassCliff's CCW Adventures, Carry or Bust!), for two of my favorite recommendations.

Also:

• Ability
  • Opportunity
  • Jeopardy
  • PRECLUSION* emphasis added, because this is where most folks screw up

Memorize these and envision them for every scenario in your mental wargaming.

[ And as you look at the following two resources from Claude Werner and Stephen Wenger, think back to the principles of AOJP, and just how many times the defender gets him/herself into legal murky waters or outright big trouble simply because they failed the principle of preclusion. ]

tacticalprofessor - Claude Werner's blog is a treasure trove of excellent material, but I especially like his "Negative Outcomes" posts.

Even more "old school," Stephen P. Wenger's "Defensive Use of Firearms" (DUF) Digest daily email mailing list blast presents a nearly-daily list of similar "Rules Violations" that's worth reading and giving heed to: DUF-Digest Info Page

Finally, the Active Self Protection YouTube houses thousands of hours' worth of real-life CCTV footage (from all over the world) that's also narrate-over by a legit use-of-force instructor (Force Science certified):

I've followed his stuff since his early days of grainy videos in 2015 as a tongue-in-cheek "Professor or Defense Against the Dark Arts." As the years passed and he's gotten more training and certifications, production quality has also, too, as well as the depth and quality of analysis. I highly recommend those videos (caveat: I don't place nearly as much value when he talks about firearms training or gear: I do not feel that either are his wheelhouse, despite his NRA certifications [which, personally, I believe are simply base qualifications, at-best]) and believe that they are an amazing resource.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Hi guys,

^ A heavy responsibility, it is. I am very glad you see it as such.
Indeed.

I'll take you back to my earlier post above, post number 86 (BassCliff's CCW Adventures, Carry or Bust!), for two of my favorite recommendations.
I'll have another look.

Also:

• Ability
  • Opportunity
  • Jeopardy
  • PRECLUSION* emphasis added, because this is where most folks screw up

Memorize these and envision them for every scenario in your mental wargaming.

[ And as you look at the following two resources from Claude Werner and Stephen Wenger, think back to the principles of AOJP, and just how many times the defender gets him/herself into legal murky waters or outright big trouble simply because they failed the principle of preclusion. ]

tacticalprofessor - Claude Werner's blog is a treasure trove of excellent material, but I especially like his "Negative Outcomes" posts.

Even more "old school," Stephen P. Wenger's "Defensive Use of Firearms" (DUF) Digest daily email mailing list blast presents a nearly-daily list of similar "Rules Violations" that's worth reading and giving heed to: DUF-Digest Info Page

Finally, the Active Self Protection YouTube houses thousands of hours' worth of real-life CCTV footage (from all over the world) that's also narrate-over by a legit use-of-force instructor (Force Science certified):

I second the recommendation for the Active Self Protection YouTube channel.
Fantastic. That gives me a lot to chew on. Thank you. I recall a Mas Ayoob talk about Ability, Opportunity, and Jeopardy:

As I patiently wait and look out my home office window at the mailbox, I've been doing some counting. By my calculations, between reciprocity with California's resident CCW, Arizona's non-resident CCW, and the addition of Texas along with the other twenty Constitutional Carry states, it seems that with these two permits I can legally carry in thirty five (35) states:

Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Delaware
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Michigan
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Now, before I visit/carry in each of these states I plan to research the state laws so as not to do anything stupid. Wow. There's a lot to this situation. I guess it's time to grow up. ;)

References from whence I compiled the above list:

BassCliff

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Greetings and salutations!

As you may recall from a few posts ago, I turned in my range qualification card on Monday morning, 6/14/21. This afternoon in the mail I received the self-addressed envelope that we prepared in our CCW class at the Sheriffs Station. Inside was this:

And so ends this leg of my journey. I will continue to train, practice, and learn not only the art of self-defense but the psychology, theology, and discipline involved with this great responsibility. My sincere thanks to everyone who encouraged, counseled, instructed, and cajoled with me along the way. I hope you all continue to do so. This old noob surely appreciates your fellowship.

Here's the recap:

12/05/2020 - Submitted the online application at the San Bernardino County Sheriff CCW website.
12/11/2020 - First email notification that my initial interview had been scheduled for 3/17/2021
12/16/2020-03/16/2021 - Received email reminders every five days regarding my initial CCW interview.
03/17/2021 - Initial CCW interview with a very affable detective. Turned in all requested paperwork, paid initial fees ($119 and $31.60), fingerprinted, background check started.
05/12/2021 - Received a call from a detective at the Sheriff Dept. to tell me that my CCW class has been scheduled for 06/02/2021. Background check passed, bring $203.40 money order.
06/02/2021 - Attended CCW class at Sheriff station. We were told we had thirty days to qualify at the range and turn in our range cards, in person was best rather than by mail.
06/11/2021 - Shot my range qualification, passed.
06/14/2021 - Delivered my CCW Proficiency range card to the SBCSD station.
06/18/2021 - Received my CA CCW license card in the mail.

Total fees: $354 to the county plus miscellaneous minor fees for necessary documents, $35 range fee for the qualification, $389 altogether.
Total time: 6 months, one week, and six days.
Total travel: Three trips to the Sheriff station (150 miles for three round trips), one trip to the range (28 miles round trip), 178 miles altogether.

There you have it. Next is securing some CCW insurance. I think I've decided on a plan, just a little more research pending. I'm having that discussion in another thread.

You guys are terrific! Again, let me reiterate one more time how much I appreciate and count on everyone in this forum for their honest opinions and excellent suggestions. God bless you all.

EDIT: Drat and bother! I've just found out that Sheriff McMahon will be retiring next month. I hope his successor is just as 2A friendly, like the whole department. Just the same, I'm glad I got my CCW when I did.

BassCliff

Reactions: clueless88

·
Registered
158 Posts
Greetings and salutations!

As you may recall from a few posts ago, I turned in my range qualification card on Monday morning, 6/14/21. This afternoon in the mail I received the self-addressed envelope that we prepared in our CCW class at the Sheriffs Station. Inside was this:

And so ends this leg of my journey. I will continue to train, practice, and learn not only the art of self-defense but the psychology, theology, and discipline involved with this great responsibility. My sincere thanks to everyone who encouraged, counseled, instructed, and cajoled with me along the way. I hope you all continue to do so. This old noob surely appreciates your fellowship.

Here's the recap:

12/05/2020 - Submitted the online application at the San Bernardino County Sheriff CCW website.
12/11/2020 - First email notification that my initial interview had been scheduled for 3/17/2021
12/16/2020-03/16/2021 - Received email reminders every five days regarding my initial CCW interview.
03/17/2021 - Initial CCW interview with a very affable detective. Turned in all requested paperwork, paid initial fees ($119 and $31.60), fingerprinted, background check started.
05/12/2021 - Received a call from a detective at the Sheriff Dept. to tell me that my CCW class has been scheduled for 06/02/2021. Background check passed, bring $203.40 money order.
06/02/2021 - Attended CCW class at Sheriff station. We were told we had thirty days to qualify at the range and turn in our range cards, in person was best rather than by mail.
06/11/2021 - Shot my range qualification, passed.
06/14/2021 - Delivered my CCW Proficiency range card to the SBCSD station.
06/18/2021 - Received my CA CCW license card in the mail.

Total fees: $354 to the county plus miscellaneous minor fees for necessary documents, $35 range fee for the qualification, $389 altogether.
Total time: 6 months, one week, and six days.
Total travel: Three trips to the Sheriff station (150 miles for three round trips), one trip to the range (28 miles round trip), 178 miles altogether.

There you have it. Next is securing some CCW insurance. I think I've decided on a plan, just a little more research pending. I'm having that discussion in another thread.

You guys are terrific! Again, let me reiterate one more time how much I appreciate and count on everyone in this forum for their honest opinions and excellent suggestions. God bless you all.

EDIT: Drat and bother! I've just found out that Sheriff McMahon will be retiring next month. I hope his successor is just as 2A friendly, like the whole department. Just the same, I'm glad I got my CCW when I did.

BassCliff
Congrats man! Though, with these two pics, you made me laugh.......😆

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Hi,

Congrats man! Though, with these two pics, you made me laugh.......😆

View attachment 842393 View attachment 842394
Thanks!

You are such a sleuth! With a little Photoshop skilz you'll know exactly what I look like. :p Not that it matters. My picture is all over the interwebs. I'm almost famous! :ROFLMAO:

Dang it! I've changed my mind again about CCW insurance. No need to respond about it here. I'll check back in that other thread. ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!

You are such a sleuth! With a little Photoshop skilz you'll know exactly what I look like. :p Not that it matters. My picture is all over the interwebs. I'm almost famous! :ROFLMAO:

Dang it! I've changed my mind again about CCW insurance. No need to respond about it here. I'll check back in that other thread. ;)

BassCliff
Get both and sleep better knowing one has UNLIMITED criminal and civil legal representation and the other offers $2,000,000 that can be used for civil liability since you will be using CCW Safe for legal work.

With both, you maximized your protection. Frankly, if there was a company that gave more liability coverage, I would buy it.

You have house insurance, right? If it is not already factored in your property tax bill, then do you have fire insurance that includes medical transport (something like Rural Metro for those living in the county)?

You have car insurance, correct?

My point is you need to protect yourself and your family from ALL threats, not just physical attack-type of threats. Financial threats can be and usually are when they are at this magnitude, life-changing for the worse. So, isn't it better to have the best protection possible so that ALL areas are covered?

Enough said.....

81 - 100 of 100 Posts