Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Got ammo?
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi,

No need to sell it here, brother. I don't know the percentage, but l think it's safe to say that most members here possess their state's version of CCW, CPL, CWL, whatever the state calls it.

I have a resident CHL in OR and non-resident CPL for WA... very few states re recognize an OR CHL partly because OR is such an a-hole about recognizing other states' licenses/permits... the WA CPL keeps me covered in all the states l operate in except, of course, CA, who are tier-one a-holes about reciprocity/recognition. I gues that's why it's so safe there... no crime from outsiders.

Good luck on your journey and be damn glad you don't live in Marin or LA county... they only award permits to the top 10% of the donor class.
Yes, reciprocity is kind of a tangled web. When I'm much farther along in the process I will look into what it will take to legally carry in as many states as possible. I've heard this is a good resource:

And there are classes offered to help you navigate through the maze. But I won't have to worry about that for a while yet.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi,

Yes, reciprocity is kind of a tangled web. When I'm much farther along in the process I will look into what it will take to legally carry in as many states as possible. I've heard this is a good resource:

And there are classes offered to help you navigate through the maze. But I won't have to worry about that for a while yet.

BassCliff
AZ is an easy one to get. There are several classes for non-resident CCW licenses that will cover you for a majority of the US. You can get several at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
AZ is an easy one to get. There are several classes for non-resident CCW licenses that will cover you for a majority of the US. You can get several at once.

UT is one that a lot of OR and WA residents get... it also covers a lot of states (including WA, MT, and ID).
It's the way l would have gone too but one day l found myself in East Wenatchee, WA about 2 blocks from the Douglas Co Sheriffs Office and 3 blocks from the closest bar. Figured WTH... its closer than the bar and cheaper too.
Ahhhh... the power of adulting.

I actually have the paperwork from AZ DPS at home but put off getting the fingerprints (don't know why, exactly) until the Rona made it impossible... the heartbreak of procrastination. I've had the forms filled out since 2018 :rolleyes:

CA and SC are the only states that I've encountered that absolutely will NOT issue nonresident permits. OR is tough, and I'm sure most NE states are a no-go too... but l don't go to the NE, ever.

Reactions: BassCliff

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
UT is one that a lot of OR and WA residents get... it also covers a lot of states (including WA, MT, and ID).
It's the way l would have gone too but one day l found myself in East Wenatchee, WA about 2 blocks from the Douglas Co Sheriffs Office and 3 blocks from the closest bar. Figured WTH... its closer than the bar and cheaper too.
Ahhhh... the power of adulting.

I actually have the paperwork from AZ DPS at home but put off getting the fingerprints (don't know why, exactly) until the Rona made it impossible... the heartbreak of procrastination. I've had the forms filled out since 2018 :rolleyes:

CA and SC are the only states that I've encountered that absolutely will NOT issue nonresident permits. OR is tough, and I'm sure most NE states are a no-go too... but l don't go to the NE, ever.
MI won't issue or honor non resident permits.
However they will honor all 50 states resident permits.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am amazed at all the hubbub to simply get a CCW permit. Down here in the "South", you fill out a 4x5 index card, wait 5 minutes for your NCIC check to come back and then you pay $20. On average its about 11 minutes from start to finish, no training, no fingerprints, no photographs, no nothing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I am amazed at all the hubbub to simply get a CCW permit. Down here in the "South", you fill out a 4x5 index card, wait 5 minutes for your NCIC check to come back and then you pay $20. On average its about 11 minutes from start to finish, no training, no fingerprints, no photographs, no nothing.
Be glad. It was a bunch of paperwork, fingerprinting and a background check which was $112. Evidence to support good cause had to be submitted too.

I was 54 and not even a speeding ticket in the last 5 years. Not a single mark on my name. Outstanding citizen. Already passed several other background checks in the past 12 mos due to my work in the financial world. Nobody has called the cops on me for loud parties or anything like that.

Still got turned down. My good cause was good enough. The deputy I interviewed with said they approve about 10% of applicants or about 3 per month. Doubtful. There’s less than 150 last I checked in a county of about 1.1 million. Just about everyone in the county knows that it’s a futile endeavor. Best way to get a CCW is to move to a CCW friendly county or out of state.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi,

Do they give you back any of the fees?
kinda sounds like extortion to me.
As in other aspects of life, I suppose this privilege costs money too. As far as I've read, none of the fees are refundable.

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi,

Yes, it does seem that I will get "spammed" every five days to remind me of my CCW interview. I got another email today. I suppose that's a good thing. I'd better get started on the paperwork, make it look neat and sound intelligent. ;) Sometime toward the end of February I'll need to get one of those forms notarized, a NOTARIZED AUTHORIZATION TO RELEASE INFORMATION CARRY CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT so the county can really delve into the deep dark recesses of my past. Oh boy. :D

BassCliff

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I have a resident Oregon license, non-resident Utah, and non-resident Nevada. I used to have a Arizona, but it expired and now AZ and NM accept my N-R Nevada, and as Johnny Yuma says WA accepts Utah.

Nevada renewal is the exact same as the initial except for the lower fee. You have to go back thru classroom, some live shooting training, and a 30 round qualification. I don't like doing it every five years, but it is more serious than most western states,

Utah and Oregon renewal are turn in the required documentation (no re-current training of any kind) and you get your renewal (In person in Oregon)

I avoid California, but am covered in the rest of the west. and I do not travel east of Texas

·
Registered
Got ammo?
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Hi,

I have a resident Oregon license, non-resident Utah, and non-resident Nevada. I used to have a Arizona, but it expired and now AZ and NM accept my N-R Nevada, and as Johnny Yuma says WA accepts Utah.

Nevada renewal is the exact same as the initial except for the lower fee. You have to go back thru classroom, some live shooting training, and a 30 round qualification. I don't like doing it every five years, but it is more serious than most western states,

Utah and Oregon renewal are turn in the required documentation (no re-current training of any kind) and you get your renewal (In person in Oregon)

I avoid California, but am covered in the rest of the west. and I do not travel east of Texas
It seems California's CCW is honored in a lot of states but California honors a lot fewer. How silly is that?

When (thinking positively here) I get my CCW I plan to get a non-resident permit in another state, maybe AZ or NV, to get reciprocity in as many state possible. That's the plan anyway. It seems the county sheriff's department is keeping up with their spam campaign, um, courtesy notices, so that I don't forget about my appointment. Every five days I get a reminder, like today.

I hope to be well prepared for my interview. Thank you all for your support. :)

BassCliff

21 - 31 of 31 Posts