Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi guys,

Tip: If you buy a large object like a lawnmower from Amazon, save the box for your holsters
I hide mine in the wife’s shoe closet. She hasn’t said a word!!! Lol!
Now that's funny stuff right there. :ROFLMAO:

Mrs. BassCliff doesn't like (my?) clutter in the house. I'll probably have to carve out space in the garage. We've been wanting to buy new shelf units and storage bins anyway. Oh boy. I'll have to clean out my garage to make space for my holster collection. Will I still have room for my music gear? ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Hi,

Do you have any unnecessary items in the garage, like vehicles that can be moved out? Or perhaps use the vehicle cubbies as holster holders.
Ha! :ROFLMAO:

I don't think we've ever parked a vehicle in our garage, just the motorcycle. I'm wondering how much of my music gear I'll have to sell to make room for my holster collection. :p

Anywho, thanks to @TSiWRX for the DCC recommendation. My clips arrived to replace the FOMI clip on this holster. Hey! I got a new sticker too! Yay me! ;)

Even though I ordered the extra fasteners for these clips I thought I could use the existing hardware. The back of the nuts were round and smooth. The new hardware has traditional square nuts.

My first idea didn't quite work out. Because the stock capture nuts were smooth I had no convenient way to tighten the screws enough to hold the cant. You can see the old fasteners and FOMI clip in the red circle.

The screws that came with the clip were short and a bit fiddly to get started. At first I did not used the included washers but was not able to tighten the fasteners enough. So I used an extra drop of red threadlocker (the screws came pre-treated with a little drop of threadlock) and my short bent nose pliers to hold the nut while I tightened the screw. The washers made the difference. The clip is not going anywhere now.

A closer look.

My original worry with the new hardware was the new nuts scratching my slide. After proper installation you see they are recessed enough in the pockets of the kydex that they do not touch the slide when drawing and re-holstering. Cool!

These DCC clips are fantastic! The holster is much easier to attach and detach. It is also held much more firmly to my belt and doesn't move. Now I'll be glad to update this thread when I receive the Dark Gear muzzle pads I ordered. These clips actually help the comfort level so the pads should make the holster feel like I'm wearing nothing, right? ;)

Until then, thanks for putting up with this old noob. Everything is new and I'm having a blast. (y)

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
^ If the appearance of the gun is important to you, keep the inside of your holster clean.

All holsters will wear on all guns. It doesn't matter if the holster is made with fresh baby-butt skin or if it is lined with the hair of Goldendoodle puppies. :p

Leather and other soft materials tend to wear the flats. Kydex and other thermoplastics tend to wear the high points. You will eventually pick up character marks on your gun, no matter what you do, but ingress of debris into the holster, whether with something falling in (i.e. sand/grit from you training on groundwork) or if your gun should track it inside during the re-holster stroke (i.e. the gun getting dirty from you doing that ground-work) will accelerate that wear and/or may be the cause for a larger gouge/scratch.

While leather and other soft materials are arguably "gentler" overall versus a thermoplastic hardshell holster, the flip side of this is that should dirt/debris enter the holster, the likelihood for the holster material to hang on to that debris increases. It's often times much easier to clean out a plastic holster.

Hardware, as you noted, can do it, too. That's something that you should check at a reasonable interval as well as pay attention to every time you go to don/doff the holster (think of it as pre-flight and post-action).

If you really want to keep your gun looking-new, unfortunately, there's really only two ways....

Either keep it as a safe-queen that's never holstered, or get it refinished whenever you notice a need (there used to be - and I am sure there still are - a daily-driven "show car" in Japan that was completely repainted and re-finished every two weeks). 😬(y)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi @TSiWRX,

I'm not that anal about how pristine my gun stays. I just didn't want to cause it any undue wear or abuse. It's already got one of those idiot scratches from putting the slide back on with the takedown lever in the wrong position. :p

It's just a tool. I know it will show wear but I do like to keep my gear clean and serviceable. Well, except for maybe the strings on my bass. I change those once every couple years whether they need it or not. :)

BassCliff

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
21 - 27 of 27 Posts