Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
One other thing. Be prepared for a LOT of jitter. The laser moves around a ton. It’s surprising the first time.
^ Yup - it's also visible with an MRDS, kinda like what happens when you look through a magnified scope, standing unsupported, the first time.:coffee: <----You kinda wonder how many cups of the good stuff you had, earlier that AM, LOL.:ROFLMAO:

What you'll want to come to grips with, @BassCliff , is to realize that the amount of jitter/wobble was always there to begin with. It's only that with irons, you've already taught your brain to filter out that same "infinity wobble" which exists as the visual manifestation.

With the dot and the laser, it's actually no different.

As @XDJyo so graciously conceded - and as I do, too :oops::D - our lack of sufficient practice with the laser translates to that increased hesitation (i.e we "shoot slower") when we use it as our actual aiming device. That video of Claude Werner, above, shooting one of the Rogers Reactive tests - in low-light, no less - shows what's possible with proficiency.

And this last is what I alluded in a recent thread:

With each addition to the gun, it becomes more than just a little more work to achieve proficiency: it literally increases your workload by "1-fold." As more than one SME has suggested, the shooter ends up having to work at least twice as hard.

Using the laser as a training device or using it for less demanding scenarios (let's say that all that you're looking at is to be able to effect simple upper-thoracic shots from a distance of 7 to 10 yards, from compromised positions - rather than the need to effect low-percentage, highly accurate and precise shots from greater distances), you won't need to climb as high up on that power curve. But if you do wind up liking the laser a lot, then I would recommend finding good instruction to help you push towards that asymptote in a more expedient (and more "correct") manner.(y)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thats why I didn't return to California after I retired from the Navy in 97. I moved to North Carolina. Got a Vortex Venom Red Dot on the way

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi guys,

Guess what? I'm still getting bombarded with ads for this "tactical" laser sight. This time in an email from GunDigest.com:

The ad links to this page called "My Crisis Gear": Special Offer

Somebody must've bought an overseas container full of these units. At least this cheap one is only $24.99. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
145 Posts
Finally got the Vortex Venom Red Dot and installed it, just need the time to get to the range and sight it in. Love the 15rd magazine of .45 acp

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi!

Finally got the Vortex Venom Red Dot and installed it, just need the time to get to the range and sight it in. Love the 15rd magazine of .45 acp View attachment 842287
Ooooohhhh! That's a beaut! And 15 rounds of .45! Excellent!

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Guess what? I'm still getting bombarded with ads for this "tactical" laser sight. This time in an email from GunDigest.com....
It's almost like your name is out there somewhere, isn't it? :p🤪:ROFLMAO:

I'm a self-confessed "geardo."

Similarly, I've long had an interest in flashlights, too.

Because of the Forums I frequent as well as the "Win XYZ" contests I am compelled to enter (I won a pair of front-row tickets to a NIN concert in the mid-90s, but have been on a dry spell, since), I get a ton of these types of junk flooding my inbox.

Luckily, because of my interest in gear and white-light "tactical" flashlights, I've been able to curb my temptation to pick up any of that....well....junk. 😅

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hi!
It's almost like your name is out there somewhere, isn't it? :p🤪:ROFLMAO:

I'm a self-confessed "geardo."

Similarly, I've long had an interest in flashlights, too.

Because of the Forums I frequent as well as the "Win XYZ" contests I am compelled to enter (I won a pair of front-row tickets to a NIN concert in the mid-90s, but have been on a dry spell, since), I get a ton of these types of junk flooding my inbox.

Luckily, because of my interest in gear and white-light "tactical" flashlights, I've been able to curb my temptation to pick up any of that....well....junk. 😅
I try to explain to Mrs. BassCliff that I am exercising my will power. Otherwise we'd have two gun safes full of all kinds of stuff. :ROFLMAO:

I get junk mail about sunglasses, since I was looking at some on AFEYEWEAR.COM and every since I get pop up adds for them
Oh my! Pop ups? It sounds like you should completely clear your browser cache, history, cookies, etc. There are free versions of adware products that can scan your machine too (Malwarebytes) and get rid of any "potentially unwanted software" that might be phoning home to get ads. I tend to configure my browser to clear all history and cookies every time I close it. I accept all cookies but essentially make them all "session cookies" since they all get deleted when I close the browser.

Forgive me if I'm getting too geeky. 🤓

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX
21 - 33 of 33 Posts