Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there friends and neighbors,

This ad showed up on my Facebook feed. It was for a GunnerGear Black Ops Tactical Laser Sight. The engraver had made a slight mistake and engraved the logo upside down. It was being sold for 50% off! Wow! What a deal! See?: GunnerGear – BlackOps Tactical Laser

Regular $78 for only $39 with free shipping! Hoooray! I whipped out my credit card and ordered before the clock ran out.

Then I decided to do a little research on this unit and look for reviews online. Guess where I found reviews? On Amazon. The reviews were pretty favorable in a "bang for your buck" kind of way. More than half the reviewers gave it five stars. See?: https://www.amazon.com/Pinty-Waterp...1&keywords=laser+sight&qid=1621919400&sr=8-22

The big difference is the Amazon unit is $14. Doh! 😕

Oh well, I guess that lesson didn't cost me too much. I usually do a lot of research before I buy anything. I won't forget next time. Yes, I thought about cancelling my order but by the time I finished my little bit of information gathering I had already received an email saying the product had shipped and here's your tracking number. It'll be here in a day or two. Drat.

So, if nothing else, after you guys finish laughing just remember not to pay more than $14 for this "Black Ops Tactical" laser sight.

This has been a Public Service Announcement brought to you by the old noob. Con sarn it!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

I just hope;
A- You receive the product and it works.
B- No other “mystery charges” show up on your CC.
Thanks. The bank is pretty good about alerting us. And for what it's worth, I got a response to my FB comment:

I'll let you know if it's the real deal. ;)

BassCliff

Reactions: Bozz10mm

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
@BassCliff

By now, I hope you and I have interacted enough that we have built up a certain level of trust....

I would urge you to not spend any less than $200 or so for any item that includes a laser (unless its intent is specifically for rough zero-verification and/or dry-fire training).

The chances that at lesser price-points that you will receive something that meets all of the following criteria - which are each crucial - is virtually nonexistent at lower price-points:

Solid, recoil-resistant mounting
Recoil-resistant electronics, including all wiring and battery isolation
Acceptable optics, including both adjustments and retention of zero
Proper switchgear (allowing for activation/inactivation while in dominant firing grip)

And unless you are expecting to use the laser solely in lower-light situations, make the investment for a green laser. The red will overlay against a red optic, and may wash out with white-light WML, too.

A laser is great.

But not all lasers are great. :D

And FWIW, I'm sorry, but I don't buy that seller's airlift/real-steel reply, not one bit. And I was big into airsoft in the late '09s and early oughts - enough that my name is still hanging around in that community even today. I have replicas that cost as much or more as their real-steel counterparts. I have airsoft 2011s that cost $3K, and my airsoft 10/22 cost twice as much as my real 10/22 (including aftermarket stock, barrel, and trigger pack, LOL).

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
There's been a few times that I've jumped on what l thought was a good deal and been extremely grateful for slow internet... gave me the few seconds l needed to rethink what l was doing and shut it down.

Hooray for cut-rate cell service!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys,

Snipers, don't like to talk about it.
I certainly won't be talking about this laser much. :p

@BassCliff

By now, I hope you and I have interacted enough that we have built up a certain level of trust....

I would urge you to not spend any less than $200 or so for any item that includes a laser (unless its intent is specifically for rough zero-verification and/or dry-fire training).

The chances that at lesser price-points that you will receive something that meets all of the following criteria - which are each crucial - is virtually nonexistent at lower price-points:

Solid, recoil-resistant mounting
Recoil-resistant electronics, including all wiring and battery isolation
Acceptable optics, including both adjustments and retention of zero
Proper switchgear (allowing for activation/inactivation while in dominant firing grip)

And unless you are expecting to use the laser solely in lower-light situations, make the investment for a green laser. The red will overlay against a red optic, and may wash out with white-light WML, too.

A laser is great.

But not all lasers are great. :D

And FWIW, I'm sorry, but I don't buy that seller's airlift/real-steel reply, not one bit. And I was big into airsoft in the late '09s and early oughts - enough that my name is still hanging around in that community even today. I have replicas that cost as much or more as their real-steel counterparts. I have airsoft 2011s that cost $3K, and my airsoft 10/22 cost twice as much as my real 10/22 (including aftermarket stock, barrel, and trigger pack, LOL).
I do appreciate your input. I guess the best I can hope for is a decent toy at an outrageous price. :ROFLMAO: I'm not really serious about lasers yet but maybe this will be some kind of introduction. I should be able to use it after I wipe the egg off my face.

There's been a few times that I've jumped on what l thought was a good deal and been extremely grateful for slow internet... gave me the few seconds l needed to rethink what l was doing and shut it down.

Hooray for cut-rate cell service!
Yep, I'll try not to get so excited next time I "think" I want something. Sheesh.

BassCliff

Reactions: Jonnyuma and TSiWRX

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks guys,

I certainly won't be talking about this laser much. :p

I do appreciate your input. I guess the best I can hope for is a decent toy at an outrageous price. :ROFLMAO: I'm not really serious about lasers yet but maybe this will be some kind of introduction. I should be able to use it after I wipe the egg off my face.

Yep, I'll try not to get so excited next time I "think" I want something. Sheesh.

BassCliff
You all are awsome. From sunny and warm Montana I salute your honesty! I get a lot of good reading on this site but this is funny. I bought a cheap laser put it on a Taurus. Had to make a small copper shim to keep it from moving before it would zero. After that it held but I’ve used iron my whole life. Do like tritium and high viz sights but laser was night useable not day. I agree w the 200 that’s why I don’t have that setup any more and moved to a micro nine. Sweet little personal carry since its legal here.

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
We've all been there, brudda! 😅 Enjoy the egg!

^ Not my picture, not my gun, but I got something like this 10 years ago, when I first started. I ended up using it as a dry-fire training aid as it both would mot reliably hold zero nor reliably stay in the mode I had selected.

Just happens that it fits pretty well in the holster for my 3.8 Compacts that are designed to take the gun with the XC-1..... :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi guys,

You all are awsome. From sunny and warm Montana I salute your honesty! I get a lot of good reading on this site but this is funny. I bought a cheap laser put it on a Taurus. Had to make a small copper shim to keep it from moving before it would zero. After that it held but I’ve used iron my whole life. Do like tritium and high viz sights but laser was night useable not day. I agree w the 200 that’s why I don’t have that setup any more and moved to a micro nine. Sweet little personal carry since its legal here.
Yeah, I'm getting a kick out of this too. If you can't laugh at yourself, just ask me and I'll laugh at you. :p :ROFLMAO:

That's the one thing I've done with all my semi-auto pistols, improved the stock sights. I've installed fiber optic front sights on the CW9 and P22. The XD9 has SpeedSights with tritium in the front sight. Even this cheap laser will be fun. Since we mostly practice for self defense and not competition I doubt I'll get serious about lasers, optics, red dots, etc.

But sure, this has been a little "Doh!" moment for me and just have to poke fun at myself.

We've all been there, brudda! 😅 Enjoy the egg!

View attachment 840816
^ Not my picture, not my gun, but I got something like this 10 years ago, when I first started. I ended up using it as a dry-fire training aid as it both would mot reliably hold zero nor reliably stay in the mode I had selected.

Just happens that it fits pretty well in the holster for my 3.8 Compacts that are designed to take the gun with the XC-1..... :)
Thanks for being gentle with me. ;) I do enjoy a large omelette now and then. This is no exception.

Next time I want to try something on the cheap, I'll go really cheap. Then when I get serious I'll practice the "buy once, cry once" rule. I'll be sure to lean on the collected wisdom here, and do a search. Just for fun, it's time for my happy dance.

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
^ This is The Way! ;)

See what you like and don't like about having a laser on the gun. This el-cheapo can do just as well at this as something that costs five times its price.

Most novice/beginner "laser shooters" erroneously believe that the laser is making them slower: as with other sighting system changes, such as the MRDS, such perceived deficiencies are more related to the skills of the individual - i.e. lack of proper training/practice ---->

^ The out-link I provided to Claude Werner's ("The Tactical Professor") run on the legendary Rogers Reactive course in the referenced thread above shows not only the advantages of the laser in some low-light scenarios, it also shows what is possible with diligent practice.

Remember also that as you look to something better -if you do end-up liking the laser- switchology with the "better" items will be much better thought out and properly aimed (sorry! 🤪 ) towards defensive/duty use. Similarly, such items will typically also hold zero better and track truer through adjustments.

Last up, an additional concern will be the need for some foresight with regard to holster availability.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

^ This is The Way! ;)

See what you like and don't like about having a laser on the gun. This el-cheapo can do just as well at this as something that costs five times its price.

Most novice/beginner "laser shooters" erroneously believe that the laser is making them slower: as with other sighting system changes, such as the MRDS, such perceived deficiencies are more related to the skills of the individual - i.e. lack of proper training/practice ---->

^ The out-link I provided to Claude Werner's ("The Tactical Professor") run on the legendary Rogers Reactive course in the referenced thread above shows not only the advantages of the laser in some low-light scenarios, it also shows what is possible with diligent practice.

Remember also that as you look to something better -if you do end-up liking the laser- switchology with the "better" items will be much better thought out and properly aimed (sorry! 🤪 ) towards defensive/duty use. Similarly, such items will typically also hold zero better and track truer through adjustments.

Last up, an additional concern will be the need for some foresight with regard to holster availability.
Thanks for pointing me toward that thread, lots of good stuff. I like the "system" approach and how to think about all the different components that go into your home/self defense firearms and peripherals.

In the meantime, guess what just arrived? Well, you probably know. It was a padded envelope with a little black box inside.

Hmmm, only three batteries. I'm a bit disappointed. You know, all of my G-Sight laser cartridges came with an extra set of batteries.

This little Black Ops Tactical Laser Sight came with only three batteries, the necessary allen wrenches for installation and adjustment, but no instructions at all. There were no instructions on the website either.

Luckily this is not rocket science. One wrench was for the lid of the battery compartment. Another wrench was for the clamp to attach to your pic rail. The smallest wrench was for zeroing the beam. There was a small hole on the side for windage and one on the bottom for elevation. Here it is attached to my new P22. Doesn't it look menacing?

Another disappointment was the fact that the logo was not printed upside down! I thought that's why these were on sale for "half price". :ROFLMAO:

I did my best to zero the beam for seven yards.

The button to turn on this unit seems to be rather large, located on the left side at the back of the unit. You can sort of see the button "around the corner" from the logo on the previous picture. It's partially obscured by the trigger guard on this pistol. I have to use a finger from my weak hand to turn it off and on.

And that is my foray into laser sights, so far. I'm not sure if I'll leave it on the first time I go to the range with this pistol. Aww, what the hey? I guess it won't hurt nothin'.

The unit is metal and doesn't seem overly cheap but I would've rather paid $14 than $39. We'll see if it stays zeroed after some live fire. So far it seems to do OK after me racking the slide a few hundred times. (I've heard these pistols are notoriously picky eaters so I've been really working the slide, mags, slide stop, etc, just to get started on the "break in" period.)

I appreciate all of you gentlemen, and your gentle ribbing. :giggle:

BassCliff

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
At the very least, it looks the part. :)

I gotta admit that I am also kinda disappointed that the logo wasn't upside down, LOL. 🤪

With respect to the zero, give these three different ways a try:

I almost always think about barrel/sight offset when I shoot, so the "parallel" method is usually best for me, in terms of actual usage.

That said, for dry-fire practice, I prefer setting the laser so that it appears right at my known POI at that distance, which often means that what I see from behind my sights during dry-fire is the "splash" of the laser. This way, I insure that with dry fire practice that I am still hard on my front sights and not tempted to "peek over," which would set me up for failure live-fire. I track any movement/deviation off-target via the "splash" migrating.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,

At the very least, it looks the part. :)

I gotta admit that I am also kinda disappointed that the logo wasn't upside down, LOL. 🤪

With respect to the zero, give these three different ways a try:

I almost always think about barrel/sight offset when I shoot, so the "parallel" method is usually best for me, in terms of actual usage.

That said, for dry-fire practice, I prefer setting the laser so that it appears right at my known POI at that distance, which often means that what I see from behind my sights during dry-fire is the "splash" of the laser. This way, I insure that with dry fire practice that I am still hard on my front sights and not tempted to "peek over," which would set me up for failure live-fire. I track any movement/deviation off-target via the "splash" migrating.
Thanks for that article. Much to Mrs. BassCliff's chagrin, I'll have to tell her, "Honey, I need a couple of bore sights and a bench for the pistols." And then wait until I tell her about the deficiencies of this unit, and I'll have to spend a couple hundred more on a good laser sight. :ROFLMAO:

What I had done was eyeball the "Sight High" zero method at seven yards. The parallel method intrigues me but I like having the laser in my iron sights rather than below. I can take my time, adjust for and practice with both. Maybe I should get some training? Imagine that. But I have a feeling that this cheap unit, that I over paid for, will not be much more than a device to introduce me to all the ins and outs of laser sights. This will not be part of my EDC system, maybe a nightstand system, maybe.

BassCliff

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi,

One other thing. Be prepared for a LOT of jitter. The laser moves around a ton. It’s surprising the first time.
Sho'nuff! It's going to take some discipline when I practice. It'll be fun learning the different zero methods. Hopefully you won't mind if I pick your brain. Thanks! :)

BassCliff

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi,

Sho'nuff! It's going to take some discipline when I practice. It'll be fun learning the different zero methods. Hopefully you won't mind if I pick your brain. Thanks! :)

BassCliff
I have very little experience outside a few range trips and zero training (unless you count YT videos! ;) ). I found that I personally didn’t shoot very well with a laser. It was more distracting than iron sights due to the jitter. I think I kept looking over the gun and pushing shots low among other things.

I did try a red dot on a friends gun. Now that was an amazing experience! Very easy to use. If you ever get an opportunity, give it a go. No wonder so many people are going that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts