Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
Got ammo?
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings Patriots,

Today I freed up a little cutie from "gun jail". It'll be good for my daughter to learn gun safety and for all of us to have some fun plinking with it. It's a Heritage Arms Rough Rider, .22LR/WMR. I picked it up from one of my favorite LGS, Norco Armory.

While I was there I also picked up a 50 round box of .22 magnum ammo. We've got an 800 round brick of .22LR but I wanted to introduce my daughter to the bigger bang too. I picked up another nylon brush just because. When I got home Mrs. BassCliff was outside getting the mail. I got a nice big poster, sales brochure, and a decal from Hornady to put on my ammo box. ;)

Fifty rounds of .22 mag was $20 at this shop. (Wow, forty cents a round for .22 ammo. Oh well.) I'll have to add this purchase to my "ammo ramblings" thread. :D Well, let's open the box and see what we got.

I think it's a cute little cowboy style six shooter, a single action revolver with the extra .22WMR cylinder and cocobolo grips. (I had to look up cocobolo to see if it was real wood.) :p Of course, the first thing I did was take it apart to check out both cylinders and clean it up a little.

I'm looking forward to shooting this thing. Hopefully my daughter will let me. Mrs. BassCliff hasn't let me shoot her pistol yet. 馃檮 I tell ya, I get no respect around here. 馃ぃ

As soon as I can I'll post up a range report. It should be good family fun!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Registered
You should have a lot of fun with that pistol. Just be aware that 22 magnum is loud out of pistols. Make sure that everyone is wearing hearing protection. Even people standing behind you that normally wouldn't notice a regular 22lr. I've carried a Ruger Single 6 convertible many a mile hunting, fishing, and trapping. I think you'll find plenty of uses for what you have.

Registered
Got ammo?
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

You should have a lot of fun with that pistol. Just be aware that 22 magnum is loud out of pistols. Make sure that everyone is wearing hearing protection. Even people standing behind you that normally wouldn't notice a regular 22lr. I've carried a Ruger Single 6 convertible many a mile hunting, fishing, and trapping. I think you'll find plenty of uses for what you have.
Thanks! Yes indeed, we all have hearing protection. I gave the owners manual to my daughter to read after I read it. I'll quiz her on it before she handles "her" pistol. But there won't be much hunting, fishing, or trapping going on here in suburban Southern California. We will have our fun at the range. Maybe I'll save the magnum ammo for the outdoor range. :oops:

I know Ruger makes a cowboy revolver very similar to this one. I decided on the Rough Rider because it had the magnum cylinder, which I could not find with the Ruger .22 six shooter. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. Then again, maybe it's not on the "approved" list here in Kalifornia. No matter. We'll have our fun! :D

BassCliff

Registered
Ruger does make the single six with a 22wmr cylinder if I remember correctly. I love my heritage rough rider and @ $99 they are worth every penny. I
Never did purchase the 22wmr cylinder but I dont regret it either. I agree that 22wmr out of a short barrel is loud. I got lucky with mine as the sights are dead on.

Registered
Got ammo?
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Ruger does make the single six with a 22wmr cylinder if I remember correctly. I love my heritage rough rider and @ $99 they are worth every penny. I
Never did purchase the 22wmr cylinder but I dont regret it either. I agree that 22wmr out of a short barrel is loud. I got lucky with mine as the sights are dead on.
I paid a bit more for this pistol with the 4.75" barrel. It came with the WMR cylinder for $169. I bought it online. An LGS, Turner's, had a couple of the 6.5" barrel Rough Riders in store but wanted too much $$$ for them, almost $250. Yikes. I've seen the 16" barrel on this pistol. Wow. That's just a bit ridiculous. :p

I don't expect our new pistol to be great for marksmanship, just fun. Let's hope I don't have to bend the front sight too much. ;) The LGS where I picked this up today had a couple of nice Buckmarks in stock. But if I'm going to spend $439 on a pistol I'd almost rather buy a used .45 or .38 revolver or similar. Aww, who am I kidding. I want them all, right now! :ROFLMAO:

BassCliff

Registered
When everything gos back to normal i plan on getting the shorter barrel i got the 6.5" barrel version. Don't sell these wonderful revolvers short, I'd have no problem relying on this pistol for a small critter hunt. Considering the times, I can't think of a better range toy. Loading this thing really makes you appreciate every round and on top of that after 100rnds the already slow reloading process slows down even more.

Registered
Got ammo?
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

When everything gos back to normal i plan on getting the shorter barrel i got the 6.5" barrel version. Don't sell these wonderful revolvers short, I'd have no problem relying on this pistol for a small critter hunt. Considering the times, I can't think of a better range toy. Loading this thing really makes you appreciate every round and on top of that after 100rnds the already slow reloading process slows down even more.
We've got a few critters here in suburgatory. The squirrels I don't mind but there is a family of skunks I'd like to send away. Hungry coyotes will come down out of the foothills once in a while looking for small pets and garbage. I've seen a few possums. But the LEO here in my little bedroom town would not take kindly to me doing the Department of Animal Control's job. :p

Yes, I'm really looking forward to this little pistol and the niche it will fill for us at the range. Plus it is so cheap to shoot. I plan to get the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my XD9 when they are available again next month. Maybe I should put in my order now? 馃榿

BassCliff

Registered
I bought the 16" barreled joker edition last month. It's a real blast and extremely accurate. My 6 inch version is also very accurate, I shoot rabbits with it and it does just fine.

Registered
Ruger made the Single Six and the Single Six convertible. Marketed as 2 separate guns. The convertible came with a matched 22 mag cylinder for a slightly higher price. If I remember correctly you could send in a standard Single Six and the appropriate funds and get a magnum cylinder fitted to it. Not completely sure if I'm right on that or not. Neat thing about 22 revolvers is that you can shoot shorts, longs, long rifle, CB, BB, and whatever else there is in it. Just use the magnum cylinder for the magnums and the standard cylinder for everything else. Some of the indoor gallery shooting loads are really quite too, just in case you might want to be stealthy in the big city馃榾

Registered
Hi,

We've got a few critters here in suburgatory. The squirrels I don't mind but there is a family of skunks I'd like to send away. Hungry coyotes will come down out of the foothills once in a while looking for small pets and garbage. I've seen a few possums. But the LEO here in my little bedroom town would not take kindly to me doing the Department of Animal Control's job. :p

Yes, I'm really looking forward to this little pistol and the niche it will fill for us at the range. Plus it is so cheap to shoot. I plan to get the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my XD9 when they are available again next month. Maybe I should put in my order now? 馃榿

BassCliff
The Advantage Arms kit is accurate enough for small critters too, but the glock style sights just don't work for me. Im gonna look into a slide mount reddot for it. It will probably cause cycling issues though.

Premium Member
I have a Rough Rider, and it sport the 22 magnum cylinder mostly, but has the 22 LR also. About the same price maybe $10 cheaper five years ago. I have a Kel-Tek PMR-30 also that is pure fun, but it eats the expensive ammo quick! I also have a NAA Mini convertible (who knows where that 22 LR cylinder is for it) and a Henry deluxe lever action rifle in 22 Magnum.

The NAA Mini is what I carried for near two years as my EDC until my XDS45.

I like the 22 Magnum round.

Reactions: BassCliff

Registered
I have a Rough Rider, and it sport the 22 magnum cylinder mostly, but has the 22 LR also. About the same price maybe $10 cheaper five years ago. I have a Kel-Tek PMR-30 also that is pure fun, but it eats the expensive ammo quick! I also have a NAA Mini convertible (who knows where that 22 LR cylinder is for it) and a Henry deluxe lever action rifle in 22 Magnum.

The NAA Mini is what I carried for near two years as my EDC until my XDS45.

I like the 22 Magnum
Your a better man than me - I'd rather carry a good sharp knife than a NAA

Registered
Got ammo?
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

I bought the 16" barreled joker edition last month. It's a real blast and extremely accurate. My 6 inch version is also very accurate, I shoot rabbits with it and it does just fine. View attachment 829991
Wow, that's impressive. What sights to you have on that long pistol? I'm sure it's accurate, almost like a SBR. ;)

BassCliff

Registered
Got ammo?
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,

Ruger made the Single Six and the Single Six convertible. Marketed as 2 separate guns. The convertible came with a matched 22 mag cylinder for a slightly higher price. If I remember correctly you could send in a standard Single Six and the appropriate funds and get a magnum cylinder fitted to it. Not completely sure if I'm right on that or not. Neat thing about 22 revolvers is that you can shoot shorts, longs, long rifle, CB, BB, and whatever else there is in it. Just use the magnum cylinder for the magnums and the standard cylinder for everything else. Some of the indoor gallery shooting loads are really quite too, just in case you might want to be stealthy in the big city馃榾
Yes, the Ruger Wrangler is a nice little cowboy gun. I was going back an forth and decided I wanted the magnum option included. I wonder if some of the lighter .22 loads wold be any louder than an air rifle? I'm pretty sure my neighbors wouldn't mind a little plinking in my back yard. But there are such things as city ordinances. So it's probably not the smartest idea. :p

BassCliff

Registered
Got ammo?
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,

That 16" is just plain ridiculous:sneaky: I want one now :ROFLMAO:
It does look like a ton of fun, don't it? :D I just don't have any practical use for it in my current situation.

BassCliff

Registered
Got ammo?
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,

The Advantage Arms kit is accurate enough for small critters too, but the glock style sights just don't work for me. Im gonna look into a slide mount reddot for it. It will probably cause cycling issues though.
Yes, I've read tons of reviews, watched hours of Youtube videos, researched what ammo works and what doesn't, etc. Sure, I'll bet you're right. Adding any weight to that slide could very well cause more malfunctions. I'll have to research other possible sight options for that kit. I sure do like the SpeedSights on my XD9. But I suppose the stock Glock-style sights would suffice for practice and training, and fun. ;)

BassCliff

Registered
Got ammo?
Discussion Starter #19
Hi,

You can legally stick a removable stock on the joker edition.
Hey! Wow! That would be pretty cool. Legal where? I doubt California. They don't let us have much of any fun here. :rolleyes: That is, unless you want to be an Antifa rioter, um, protester. :ROFLMAO:

BassCliff

1 - 20 of 45 Posts