Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Got ammo?
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Actually the Kahr CW9 is for Mrs. BassCliff. We've been out to the range together a couple of times, she's shot my XD9, shot it pretty well, and says the grip is just too big for her hand. After doing some research on thin single stacks that are legal here I think she'll enjoy the CW9. It's been delivered to the FFL place so I plan to get over there Thursday or Friday to start the paperwork in order to get it out of California's ten day gun jail. Sheesh.

I know she likes a light trigger too so I've already ordered the MCARBO trigger spring kit for this DAO semi-auto, and the stainless steel striker guide to replace the plastic part. Based on her like of the little Ruger revolver she shot at the range last weekend I think she'll like a long smooth pull with a light clean break, 4-ish pounds. I've read very good things about this kit on the Kahr forums.

Does this mean I get to buy twice as much ammo? I think so! ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
15,912 Posts
I would actually suggest you hold off on lightening the trigger. Light striker triggers are not really a good thing. Especially in inexperienced hands.

What really makes a trigger suck is stacking. Inconsistent trigger resistance over its travel. Rough gritty triggers. Very mushy unknown breaks.... The Kahr trigger is really good and clean. A 6 pound clean trigger is still a great trigger. I had a Kimber Evo... Best striker trigger period. It was fantastic... And 6 ish 7 pounds. All my double action triggers are 6-7. Now all my hammers in single action are 4. But that's SA.

Point is, light isn't end all be all in a defensive pistol. A great heavy trigger still shoots good. Break the Kahr in first and see. If you polished it up, I seriously doubt you would have any complaints.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Twice as much ammo for 6 times the price! Congrats on the gun purchase.
Thanks!

Ha! Indeed. So far I've been able to hunt and gather ammo paying only 37 cents to 50 cents a round. Sixty cents is right out. :p

BassCliff

Reactions: joshw0000

·
Registered
Got ammo?
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I would actually suggest you hold off on lightening the trigger. Light striker triggers are not really a good thing. Especially in inexperienced hands.

What really makes a trigger suck is stacking. Inconsistent trigger resistance over its travel. Rough gritty triggers. Very mushy unknown breaks.... The Kahr trigger is really good and clean. A 6 pound clean trigger is still a great trigger. I had a Kimber Evo... Best striker trigger period. It was fantastic... And 6 ish 7 pounds. All my double action triggers are 6-7. Now all my hammers in single action are 4. But that's SA.

Point is, light isn't end all be all in a defensive pistol. A great heavy trigger still shoots good. Break the Kahr in first and see. If you polished it up, I seriously doubt you would have any complaints.
You're right. I'm sure it's best to wait until she tries it with the stock springs first. Thank you. It's a small investment so I thought I'd have it handy. It'll take 20 minutes to swap them out. I just like to give her choices.

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I bet you use this same line for your bass purchases too! 😉
Naw, that doesn't work. :D

I have to justify those purchases as tax deductions when filing my music income. 🎸💵

BassCliff

·
Registered
128 Posts

I think it's all personal preference. My CCP's are single stacks (XDS, LC9S, PC Shield). The LC9S trigger is the best factory trigger that I've ever shot, PC Shield is better than the normal Shield but still heavier than I like. I replaced the XDS with a PRP trigger and its my favorite gun. I can certainly pull a heavier trigger, I just find that I have less drift with lighter triggers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Got ammo?
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

I think it's all personal preference. My CCP's are single stacks (XDS, LC9S, PC Shield). The LC9S trigger is the best factory trigger that I've ever shot, PC Shield is better than the normal Shield but still heavier than I like. I replaced the XDS with a PRP trigger and its my favorite gun. I can certainly pull a heavier trigger, I just find that I have less drift with lighter triggers.
Call me impulsive. I just ordered a Wolff spring too, the 5lb spring for the Kahr. It's a cheap $4 insurance policy. You know what they say, "Happy wife, happy life". :D

She'll get her choice of 6lb, 5lb, or 4lb pull. Am I a loving husband, or what? ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi,

Call me impulsive. I just ordered a Wolff spring too, the 5lb spring for the Kahr. It's a cheap $4 insurance policy. You know what they say, "Happy wife, happy life". :D

She'll get her choice of 6lb, 5lb, or 4lb pull. Am I a loving husband, or what? ;)

BassCliff
If you're just in the mood for ordering triggers, I can link you to a better Shield kit and send my home address.

·
15,912 Posts
It's not a matter of personal preference, it's a matter of safety and negligent discharges. Inexperienced shooters going out and getting light striker triggers with no safeties... And learning to holster which usually produces the most negligent discharges.... Is not a good thing. I've shot very heavy horrible triggers. 14 pounds... That's truly horrendous. There is no duty weapon on the market today that does not have a trigger anyone can't run.

Learn trigger discipline first. Learn the fundamentals. Learn how to be safe. Understand the fact light triggers for beginners mask improper mechanics. Get light unforgiving hair triggers later. If you want a target pistol, get one. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's not a matter of personal preference, it's a matter of safety and negligent discharges. Inexperienced shooters going out and getting light striker triggers with no safeties... And learning to holster which usually produces the most negligent discharges.... Is not a good thing. I've shot very heavy horrible triggers. 14 pounds... That's truly horrendous. There is no duty weapon on the market today that does not have a trigger anyone can't run.

Learn trigger discipline first. Learn the fundamentals. Learn how to be safe. Understand the fact light triggers for beginners mask improper mechanics. Get light unforgiving hair triggers later. If you want a target pistol, get one. That's all I'm saying.
I agree with you about a safety. I prefer a grip safety but I'll settle for a thumb safety. Even still, finger control (don't touch the trigger until you're ready to shoot) and a proper holster should suffice. A 4 lb trigger still takes 4 lbs of directed force to go off. That's cool if you prefer a heavier trigger but I find no fault in a lighter one. I'm sure I don't have the experience that you do but I'm far from inexperienced.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

I hear you, loud and clear. Mrs. BassCliff could not pull the trigger on the S&W 686. She had no trouble cocking it first. She needs a lighter trigger because of her hand strength. She's learning fast. We have another training session scheduled in a couple weeks. We shan't be inexperienced for long.

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

I agree with you about a safety. I prefer a grip safety but I'll settle for a thumb safety. Even still, finger control (don't touch the trigger until you're ready to shoot) and a proper holster should suffice. A 4 lb trigger still takes 4 lbs of directed force to go off. That's cool if you prefer a heavier trigger but I find no fault in a lighter one. I'm sure I don't have the experience that you do but I'm far from inexperienced.
Even the guns we train with that have safeties, we don't really get trained to use them. We never touch the safeties during our training sessions. Our instructor is teaching us that our safety is between our ears. ;)

BassCliff

Reactions: joshw0000

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi,

Even the guns we train with that have safeties, we don't really get trained to use them. We never touch the safeties during our training sessions. Our instructor is teaching us that our safety is between our ears. ;)

BassCliff
For me it's just for carrying purposes. I don't train to shoot from a draw, which I'm sure I should, but I'm a normal civilian so I typically only unholster at the range or to clean/inspect. A properly carried gun with no safety is perfectly fine if you use some sense (or Glock wouldn't be in business).

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
+1 for Powerman.. I would hold off on the trigger.

I run a cw40 and a cw380, and excapt for a couple of small peculiarities, I do like them a lot. Trigger is not light but considering no other safety on the gun, that is not a concern.

I picked up some Talon rubber grips to apply over the stock molded grip texture and VERY happy with that. Unless they changed it, an hour or so on the range would peel the skin off the web of my hand... didn't like that much. The talons make it much better.

Enjoy your CW9.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,

For me it's just for carrying purposes. I don't train to shoot from a draw, which I'm sure I should, but I'm a normal civilian so I typically only unholster at the range or to clean/inspect. A properly carried gun with no safety is perfectly fine if you use some sense (or Glock wouldn't be in business).
We will be training to shoot from a draw. But being mere mortals in California we'll never be able to CCW, unless I know a guy who knows a guy. ;) We'll be able to use a holster only at the range, and then only at certain ranges that allow holsters.

I have visions of grandeur, seeing myself taking part in small local competitions. I know I won't be that competitive. I just want to have a little fun, once I'm ready.

We take our training and safety very seriously, make no mistake. Please don't let my light-hearted conversations here make you think differently. :)

I'm enjoying this conversation. I appreciate all of you sharing your thoughts and suggestions.

BassCliff

·
15,912 Posts
Hi,

BassCliff
Good gravy... Glock would be out of buisness... So you've never heard of Glock leg???

OK Bass.... If you have safeties, you train safeties. Period. There are a lot of dead people that said their safety is between their ears.

If you don't want safeties, then don't get them. I don't like safeties. A grip safety has many circumstances that it might not protect you. Not many people would run a 1911 without a manual safety. So why would you run the equivalent in a striker without one?

For a defensive pistol, a good option is DA/SA or DAO. Long deliberate pull. That DA pull on the revolver... Guessing maybe 10-12. That's heavy. 6 pounds is not heavy! Nothing unreasonable about it. 4 pounds is the LIGHTEST trigger you should have on a defensive pistol. 2-3 is target shooting. It goes bang when you think about it. Run what ever you want, but learn the basics first... Or not.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi,

+1 for Powerman.. I would hold off on the trigger.

I run a cw40 and a cw380, and excapt for a couple of small peculiarities, I do like them a lot. Trigger is not light but considering no other safety on the gun, that is not a concern.

I picked up some Talon rubber grips to apply over the stock molded grip texture and VERY happy with that. Unless they changed it, an hour or so on the range would peel the skin off the web of my hand... didn't like that much. The talons make it much better.

Enjoy your CW9.
Thank you. We should have the CW9 in hand before our next training session. I'm looking forward to watching the fetching Mrs. BassCliff tear up some targets with it. I'll be ready with trigger solutions if she has any complaints. We must consider her upper body and hand strength, hence the light pistol and trigger solutions if necessary.

I've heard so much good stuff from so many people and read so many good reviews about Talon grips that I'm starting to thing that they're pretty good. We'll have to take care of her gentle lady hands. :D

BassCliff

Reactions: windsearcher

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi,

We will be training to shoot from a draw. But being mere mortals in California we'll never be able to CCW, unless I know a guy who knows a guy. ;) We'll be able to use a holster only at the range, and then only at certain ranges that allow holsters.

I have visions of grandeur, seeing myself taking part in small local competitions. I know I won't be that competitive. I just want to have a little fun, once I'm ready.

We take our training and safety very seriously, make no mistake. Please don't let my light-hearted conversations here make you think differently. :)

I'm enjoying this conversation. I appreciate all of you sharing your thoughts and suggestions.

BassCliff
As much as I'd love to visit, I'm pretty happy with NC's gun laws. I just hope Biden doesn't come take our "AR-14's".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts