Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Kershaw,Scallion as a gift.

Center blade with Kershaw on it.

Now I haven't carried a knife in quite a while, so I may not know exactly how to properly carry one of these fancy assist-to-open models.
I am right handed so naturally I stuck it in my right pocket. My jeans have the smaller watch pocket and this knife slipped nicely into it.
While reaching into my larger right pocket to retrieve some change, I went to withdraw my hand an proceeded to cut myself as the knife had opened and is well sharpened. (I know it has a safety but that does slow down access a bit)
Now as I look at the knife, the clip seems to be on the wrong side and wrong end for right handed carry.
Am I wrong to think this is a$$ backwards for knife set up?
Opinions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have that same knife and the one above it and have yet to have a problem. Now given that they are sharp as **** from the factory. I have not had it open in my pocket and cut me while reaching for it. There is the guard at the tip to keep it from opening when the knife is closed.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you carry in right or left pocket? and
Do you normally use the lock?

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I carry my Gerber in my right pocket, with the clip on that same side. It just seems easier/quicker to pull it out and open it that way. It's not an assisted opener though, I don't like them.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
as a tactical stand point isn't it better to have your knife on your week hand side, so that if you end up in a fight over your gun you can keep your strong hand on the gun and access/use the knife with your week hand. I know this is off topic to the OP, but just something to think about if your getting a new knife.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
as a tactical stand point isn't it better to have your knife on your week hand side, so that if you end up in a fight over your gun you can keep your strong hand on the gun and access/use the knife with your week hand. I know this is off topic to the OP, but just something to think about if your getting a new knife.
I've thought the same thing, it would also make sense because your strong hand could be injured. I've tried it, but it's just too weird for me. I use my knife all the time and on instinct I would reach for my right pocket. I keep my cell phone in my left pocket too, and the knife was scratching the hell out of the cover screen.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good point. thanks.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I have the Kershaw Leek.

I removed the pocket clip and the safety.

I carry it in my pocket and it has never popped open on me. Now that I have said that it likely will and I'll be singing, "Man down, man down" in soprano into the radio.

It is my favorite knife. I stopped buying knives after I got that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the same knife and carry it in my pocket with the safety off and it has never opened on me. Was there something else heavy in the pocket to catch the blade such as keys?

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hrm...don't have a kershaw, but have a CRKT and an assisted open Gerber that i carry in my left pocket and haven't ever had one pop open on me....
It didn't pop open. It only opened a bit and when I withdrew my hand is when I caught the tip of the blade on my hand. (merely a flesh wound;))
I will be carrying it in my left pocket from now on.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had a problem with mine too. It opened several times while in my pocket, cut me twice. That was the last assisted opener I bought. I guess if you used the lock it might help, but I think of manual safeties on knives the same as guns. Don't like either one on something I may need in a hurry. Just one more thing to think about under stress. FWIW, I carry my Benchmade weak side when I carry a gun, strongside when I don't.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I have a H&K automatic knife that has the clip arranged so that when you pull the knife from your pocket all you have to do is hit the button and you are good to go. Most knives have the clip at the opposite end to prevent accidents.

H&K carries point up and most knives carry point down.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Point up seems to be the way I would like it to carry.
Does anyone know why all folders aren't designed to carry point up?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Carry in my left, it's easier for me to draw and pop it open with my left. I'm right handed, too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I carry my HK folder in my right pocket, also tip up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally Posted by Modificationvt

:)I think it depends on your situation, but I usually have a blade on both sides. Most of the guys I know that do serious knife training especially in the filipino martial arts do. But like I said I guess it depends on your situation/job. But I'm very into blade culture and my opinion is "if you need one.. you need two" or "two is one and one is none"

Respectfully submitted,
Chubbybutdangerous

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
I have a H&K automatic knife that has the clip arranged so that when you pull the knife from your pocket all you have to do is hit the button and you are good to go. Most knives have the clip at the opposite end to prevent accidents.

H&K carries point up and most knives carry point down.
Maybe this is true of older folding knives. The majority of modern day folders with a pocket clip are tip up. Tip down is definitely the minority. Tip up provides a better grip as you pull it out of your pocket. Also, the majority of folders are designed to have the blade against the edge of your pocket, so it can't open unless it shifts around. I doubt I'd ever be willing to carry a tip down knife, but not because of a safety issue, it's just a wierd grip.

·
Banned
564 Posts
I have the Kershaw Leek.

I removed the pocket clip and the safety.

I carry it in my pocket and it has never popped open on me. Now that I have said that it likely will and I'll be singing, "Man down, man down" in soprano into the radio.

It is my favorite knife. I stopped buying knives after I got that.
+1 one on the Kershaw Leek.

I also have removed the safety lock. Hell, I had the Kershaw and, I thought I lost it and, bought another one. I found the first one so, now I have two very sharp Kershaw knives.

I used them for everything....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts