Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i trying to pick out my first 1911. are the basic upgrades (beaver tail, trigger, hammer) something i can do myself, or are speacialty tools or gunsmith needed

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
1911parts are not always drop in, they may need a little fitting (Dremmel with light sandpaper, or just file / sand by hand. Some other tools like a jig, etc... Needed at times

I had quite a time fitting an Ed Brown beavertail.w/ bump pad on my Kimber. But it finally fit after install, test, take apart, install, test, take apart, etc...then it needed a firearm coating job

Ed Brown has some instructions, don't knkw if I'd trust YouTube (then again, never looked there)

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
i trying to pick out my first 1911. are the basic upgrades (beaver tail, trigger, hammer) something i can do myself, or are speacialty tools or gunsmith needed
Welcome to the forum..

A Rock Island Armory, in either 45ACP or 9mm, is a great place to start for a 1911.
I'd recommend the Tactical over the GI version.

Good luck...1LL

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Welcome to the forum..

A Rock Island Armory, in either 45ACP or 9mm, is a great place to start for a 1911.
I'd recommend the Tactical over the GI version.

Good luck...1LL

Agreed with that one. Then the hard ones are out of the way. Great starter 1911.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats the reason for my question. i can't find the tactical anywhere local, and it's a $75 ffl fee if i order it. but if there is some fitting that needs to be done, i don't want to chance messing it up. so i'll just spend the exra $$ and order the tactical. thanks for the help, and if anyone knows where i might be able to find a tactical in SO CAL please let me know

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you wanting to learn how to fit aftermarket parts? If not, there are numerous different models that likely already come with the parts you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
As has been said, you can get one with many of the upgrades you want already installed. If you pick up a used model needing parts added to make it like you want, they are not that hard to do. Whatever you get, learn how it works and how each part affects the next before swapping them out.

Welcome to your new obsession.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts