Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I'm a brand new gun owner and I wanted to everyone's opinion on taking a basic handgun course/class. First off, I'm not above any training and am willing to learn the basics even down to cleaning. There are two courses I wanted to take. One is from a local gun shop that offers the following topics:

Level 1 Handgun
(1 day or 2 evenings)

Recommended for: Anybody with an interest in the safe and effective use of handguns. Perfect for those who are considering firearms ownership or who have never received formal training.
Experience required: None
Prerequisites: None
Equipment required: Handgun (revolver recommended); rentals available with advance notice at no charge
Eye and ear protection (available at no charge)
Ammunition required:(not included in course fee)

Topics covered:
Basic firearms safety
California firearms law with respect to handguns, firearms ownership, and use of lethal force
Fundamentals of proper marksmanship
Proper selection of firearms, ammunition, and accessories
Live fire on shooting range
Proper mindset for survival
Course Cost: $150 / plus ammo cost

Now, I was thinking most if not all of this can be learned reading from forums, YouTube, and from experienced friends but obviously range time would be key.

My other option is more interactive
San Diego Firearms Training

So basically, my question is should I save my $150 and just take the Gideon course or take both? Please remember I'm a total newb in owning my own firearm. My goal is to be a more educated gun owner and a better shooter. Your advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
While there are many knowledgeable folks on here, there are also some that aren't so and are just as opinionated.
Unfortunately, The Classroom forum on here is one of the least used forums on the site. I say take the classes.
I took the hunters safety class as a young teen and have been around guns all my life, but mainly rifles. While the CCW class in OK is quite rudimentary (by design), there were quite a few helpful hints given in the class. I am planning on taking the Intermediate Level 1 CCW class given by the same folks. It is around $200 plus you must bring 200 to 250 rounds of factory ammo IIRC.
Besides, you might get to the second class and realize the guys at the first class really didn't know what they were talking about, or vice versa.
I guess what I am saying is, we all spend our dough on cool mods and accessories for our guns instead of spending the dough on learning how to use them. Not blaming anyone, I am just as guilty.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Absolutely agree. Lots of misinformation in the web and an class can ensure you start out with the right fundamentals and don't end up on the range learning bad habits. I shot pistols for 10 years before I took my first class and discovered that I didn't know squat about how to properly shoot OR real gun safety. Take the class!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Aside from being a bit pricey, it sounds like a good idea.
While there is a wealth of knowledge to be had on the various firearms forums, much of it is simply opinion. I'm not saying it's good or bad. Forum & "gee whiz" knowledge is no subsitute for a sanctioned & structured course of instruction. I've been around firearms for much of my life. When my wife wanted to learn to shoot a handgun, I sent her to a class. I'm realistic enough to know that just because I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing, that doesn't make me a firearms instructor. It also takes the relationship stress variable out of the equation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think that any class that recommends a revolver to take the their course is about as BASIC as it gets. That sounds like to much old school, I would check around at almost any gun store, they should teach, or recommend a class that takes all types of pistols. Revolvers are OK but are limited to 5 or 6 shoots in a 38 or larger caliber, and are harder to reload when your empty. Where ever you go I would take the pistol that you plan on using for self protection and be as proficient with it as you can.
Good Luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for helping me make my next $150 investment. I cleaned my gun for the first time today with friends who had 20+ years experience and even they said it's a good idea to take the basic course. In fact, we all plan on taking the interactive course together. Best part is that we would all get a $50 discount for each of us which would drop the price down to $275. Awesome support from this forum!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Now, I was thinking most if not all of this can be learned reading from forums, YouTube, and from experienced friends
Please forget that you ever had this thought. Find a qualified instructor and take the class.

·
Premium Member
127,182 Posts
Always verify the credentials and experience of the instructor(s). There are a lot of "yahoo's" out there who fancy themselves "experts." Check out my web site NW Ohio CCW to see what we offer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts