Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have read my previous post concerning the very poor accuracy I was getting from my XD9 Tactical. While my other 3 XDs (2 service 9s and one sub9) would normally turn in 2-3" five shot groups at 50 feet (indoor), my Tactical 9 wouldn't do better than 4-5". After talking to Springfield (not impressed), I decided not to risk the $60 in shipping (both ways) to return the gun and then have them return it in the same condition. Springfield quoted me $250 (not including shipping) for a BarSto barrel. Really not impressed.

I ordered a barrel from BarSto. It was delivered Monday for $214 including shipping. It dropped right in, but tight, and I shot it for the first time last night.

I fired a few shots (15?) to verify it would function. Then I fired the following four 10 shot groups from a rest at 50 feet. Listed in the order fired:

Remington bulk 115 FMJ, 4.2 grains Bullseye: 10 shots in 1.7", 9 in 1.3"

Montana Gold 115 FMJ, 4.2 grains Bullseye: 10 in 2.5", 9 in 1.9", 7 in 1.2"

Cast 115 RNL, 5.6 grains HS-6: 10 shots in 2.5", 9 in 1.9", 8 in 1.7"

I fired another group with Montana Gold because my previous testing in my other XDs indicted these shot better than the Remington:

Montana Gold 115 FMJ, 4.2 grains Bullseye: 10 shots in 1.6", 9 in 1.3", and 8 in slightly under 0.8". No typo: that is 8/10 of an inch.

I didn't do any barrel break in prior to testing. If previous experience holds true, the barrel will improve after a few shooting and cleaning sessions. No bad groups were discarded.

Just for grins, I fired a 10 shot group from my stock blue XD9 Service at the same range. This gun has over 1600 rounds through it without cleaning and without a malfunction. (Got to clean this gun!)

Montana Gold 115 FMJ, 4.2 grains Bullseye: 10 shots in 2.5", 9 in 2.2"

Groups were measured using a dial caliper, and are quoted center to center.

BarSto is first rate. It only took a week from the time I phoned in my order until the barrel was delivered to my front door. It dropped in, but is much tighter than the factory barrel. Of course, it should be!

Hope this info is useful.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
You can't go wrong with BarSto. I bought a 9mm barrel for my Tactical last year and had similar results. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone might wonder why I selected BarSto rather than saving $50 and buying an EFK barrel. I emailed EFK with questions regarding expected accuracy improvements, and I never received any response. BarSto was very responsive. It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the two products, i.e. new BarSto and EFK barrels shot in the same gun and the groups compared; same shooter, same ammo, same gun, same day. I think it would be fun to do this, but I'm not anxious to shell out $150 for another barrel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Semi-drop in. But, I don't see how the fit could be much tighter. They seem to have the tolerences down pat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's unfortunate that you had a less than enthusiastic response from Springfrield. I had some issues with a Sig 226 (new) and Sigarms sent me a whole new gun (plus case, mags) after one of their gunsmiths called me to confirm it was shooting the way I described (irratically)....Maybe had you sent them the gun, they would have replaced the barrel (or gun) and all would be well....

That said, and I know that my experience is not typical, but I did get an EFK conversion barrel which shot poorly, they did exchange it for another which shoot much better, but, the conversion still does not shoot as well as with the OEM barrel....

The OEM Springfield barrels should, at 50 feet, produce one ragged, elongated hole groups with the proper ammo measuring about 1.5 inches from approximate center to center (as best as you can estimate from a ragged hole)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure my XDs, in the right hands, would produce better groups than those I posted. I've already reached the point where I need lenses cut for pistol sights. The ones I have currently won't quite allow a sharp focus on the front sight no matter how hard I try so I need the prescription updated. Even so, I realized a better than 50% reduction in group size by going to the BarSto.

Sounds like I made the right choice in choosing BarSto over EFK. Thank you for your response.

I've never had a Sig, but I have heard of two Sig 45s that had the aluminum frame crack and Sig replaced both without question. That info is a number of years old, so it seems Sig has always had good customer service.

Barretta replaced a M21 pocket .22 for me a number of years ago. S&W has always been first rate with warranty work as well even sending FedEx to my door to pick up the gun.

I had problems with Armalite over an AR15 match barrel a number of years ago; they shipped it to me without a throat or a crown. I had it mounted on a custom match gun. I've had slingshots that grouped better. I had a real hassle with them. I finally did get a refund. So, I wouldn't buy one of their products again.

I had miserable customer service from Kahr. They wouldn't even respond to my emails (I sent 3 or 4). And I used to be a big fan of their little guns.

Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's funny how customer service catches up with them. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot...especially when people address their issues to others trying to maintain the same product.

As for Springfield...I was having horrible grouping with the oem barrel..and I sent it in, and they found it was not shooting to their liking as well..and replaced the barrel with another oem. Shoots well now, but a Barsto...now they are le creme de la creme

1 - 8 of 8 Posts