Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few threads on here about polishing the barrels and guide rods on XDs and XDms. After 500 rounds my barrel is starting to show some ware, which I don't mind but I am considering getting my barrel polished. I really like the way it looks, but I have a few questions:
1. Does polishing a barrel have any effect of accuracy?
2. Will polishing the barrel void my factory warranty?
3. Does a polished barrel eventiually show ware marks on the barrel like a non polished barrel does? How well does the polish finish hold up?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have been thinking of polishing the end of my barrel to match the stainless steal guide rod i have. I have been wondering if there are any ill effects to it as well.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
NO The minor amount of material removed by correct polishing will not have any noticeable effect on 'combat fit' parts of the pistol.
NO With the exception that rusting of the barrel may not be covered. (just repolish to remove any rust.
YES. Not a finish, just polished smooth, will scratch/wear just like black barrel. Simply polish it out again.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Less metal means looser fit. That will have a negative affect on accuracy.

The question is, "how big of an affect"? Answer, a very small one. As long as you don't go nutz and whittle it down to a nub!

While you have the polishing compound out, also do the back of the sear where it contacts the striker, the front (vertical portion) of the striker where it contacts the sear and the barrel portion of the sear on the end opposite the "firing pin". Those areas won't and "bling", but will make the trigger feel a ton better.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I was just going for the look at the end of the barrel since i have a stainless steel guide rod and a black barrel. kind of looks out of sink. as far as the trigger goes i have the powder river ultimate match trigger kit installed

·
Registered
27 Posts
i polished mine using the green(med) liquid metal polish. I have noticed no drop in accuracy. just take it slow and steady. looks way better than when it was coated and showed wear. also for touch ups, every few hundred rounds, i use the blue(fine) liquid metal polish. no clue about warranty though.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I polished mine and I think the action is smoother and the accuracy is the same. Liked it so much I also did it to my P3at and my PM9 with the same results. The p3at seems to work alot smoother. All three are concealed carry pistols so knowone sees them but me.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Accuracy unaffected:

I didn't get mine as shiney as I wanted but all I had was a Dremmel tool and some pretty cheap dremmel polishing wheels. I used red compound to get the stock finish off and then progressed down to jeweler's paste.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I was just going for the look at the end of the barrel since i have a stainless steel guide rod and a black barrel. kind of looks out of sink. as far as the trigger goes i have the powder river ultimate match trigger kit installed

If you just do the end,it will have near zero negatives.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
There is a lesson in this guys. If you only polish your barrel on the end, you will still be a straight shooter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts