Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the looks of the polished barrels and such on the xd. But doesn't this just leave bare metal exposed to the elements? Or is there some sort of coating that goes on it. I wouldn't want my barrel to rust or anything. I may be missing something. I am new to this site and this is my first post. Thanks for any information.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Naturally, it does subject the metal to direct contact with the elements; however exposed, polished metal is less subjective to rusting than unpolished, exposed metal. This is due to the more uniform and smooth surface than natural surface. I suppose it all comes down to your climate and intended use. Coastal weather would raise a caution flag.

I find it interesting that when oil is applied to polished metal surfaces, it beads up like water a rainx window unlike natural metal, it doesn't spread out, thus making it more difficult to oil a polished surface. I have not experienced rust of any kind on my Kel-Tec P3AT I polished (my polish test bed), and it's my daily pocket BUG.

In my unprofessional opinion, a polished weapon is worth the extra maintenance attention by nature, but to-date she's come up perfect. No rust here. I believe I speak for all the polished XDs here. To my knowledge there hasn't been any polish enduced rusting in this forum. But of course, I'm overly cautious with my handguns.

On the flipside, normal handgun use will create wear-marks thus exposing the metal anyway, so in conclusion I believe it's worth a polish job if you've already got some wear going. Anyhow, I'm rambling. I guess it's up to you. I've got an idea, how about a polish vs rust poll!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like the looks of the polished barrels and such on the xd. But doesn't this just leave bare metal exposed to the elements? Or is there some sort of coating that goes on it. I wouldn't want my barrel to rust or anything. I may be missing something. I am new to this site and this is my first post. Thanks for any information.

I have only polished the barrel on my Glock 17 and have had zero rust issues at all. The tenifer treatment or carbonitriding, penetrates the metal surface. That is what makes the metal so rust resistant. Melonite XD's are similar. The treated parts should not rust, with or without being polished. The black finish on Glocks and XD's is not a rust preventive finish, it is simply a black oxide. Unless you gouge the metal, you should have no rust, polish away.....

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Almost completely off topic: I was just reading that the melonite treatment renders the surface even harder than hard-chroming on the Rockwell scale.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts