Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the gun and to the XD arena. I just finished cleaning my xd9sc for the first time and when I reassembled, the barrel seems loose when the slide is locked back. Everything seems to be in the proper place. Any thoughts? It may have been like this before, but I hadn't noticed, just want to check before shooting with it again.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Don't worry about it. That's perfectly normal.

Be careful, or the other guys here will start making crude comments about wobbly barrels :twisted:

Oh, and congrats on the new gun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent. just very wary of the random moving part on an otherwise very solid gun.

I have about 300 rnds through it so far, and won't be able to shoot for at least a few days, so I decided I should go ahead and clean.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
That is perfectly normal. Some parts on autopistols are designed to be a little loose, as to ensure reliability as they get dirty from shooting.

Look at several 1911s...some of these pistols have very looose slide to frame fits. One of my old Argentine 1911s has so much slop, you can feel the slide shake sideways if you shake it roughly in your hand, but the thing is utterly reliable and fairly accurate.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought my XD today,(or technically my mother ..laugh if you like) and I am extremely pleased. But yeah I was concered with the barrel after I reassembled my gun. If there is no reason to worry than I wont but is there any reason why it would do that after a cleaning. By the way I am a first time handgun owner so cut me some slck. :oops:

·
Registered
768 Posts
ronin welcome to the club.
it'll do that clean or dirty.
the barrel cycling sloppy is normal. the way i see it, as it finishes cycling the flare at the end of the barrel is 'corraled' by the hole in the slide for stability before firing again. that's what causes the scratches at the barrel flare.
i bet the barrel actually jumps around a bit when going forward during cycling, and somewhat bobbles it's way forward til being corraled, rather than a perfectly smooth forward/backward action. i could be wrong i guess, since it happens to fast to see of course, but with how sloppy/loose the barrel is til full cycle or in battery, i thinn i'm correct.
pull the slide back just a bit and the barrel gets sloppy as soon as the barrel flare comes back out of the locking action of the slide hole.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Remember that the barrel tilts downward in the back. If it were tight during recoil it would bind in the opening in the front of the slide. I'm sure there are many other reasons the barrel HAS to be loose when not in lockup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks guys. I was kinda worried because I figured it would be just my luck to run into a problem the first 20 min. I owned my gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts