Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for guidance and info because I'm a newbie to the ar world. I'm debating a 10.3 or a 11.5 for my sbr build. I've read a little and a lot of people say 11.5 for smooth operation. I might silence this down the road. max range I might shoot with this for a grin only is 200-300 yards. Mostly be for a home defense tactical training classes if I'm allowed to bring a sbr to one. And fun/plinking. Enlightened me. Or if you know some good threads to read that will work to.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What if the barrel is 10.3 which is a Daniel defense barrel. I'm looking for a good tier quality barrel. If 10.3 in dd is to short then I'll have to go to a different barrel company which I don't mind. Just don't know enough. I kinda feel looking at pictures that 11.5 is to long for a future sbr I don't know.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Knightslugger is correct, but that is strictly from a silencer manufacturer viewpoint for their products, not necessarily that a different length barrel is bad.

Most suppressor manufacturers won't warranty their suppressors on a barrel less than 10.5- or 11.5 inch barrel due to the increased wear on the blast baffle from the shorter barrel.

With a short barrel, there is increased heat and unburned powder that will be striking the silencer baffles much worse than it would on a longer barrel.

And thus is the reason why some companies don't want you to use them on short barrels.

Simply put, they don't want to have to replace their parts in their silencer.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
11.5 BCM and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
BCM 11.5 Upper Receiver Group

439 dollars. Shipped with free BCM BCG ($170). You won't be able to beat that if you are looking for a top tier.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
And just to emphasize it: YOU WILL WANT THE FASTER TWIST!

You are losing a lot of speed with a short barrel, and with a loss in speed comes a loss in bullet RPM. you need a lot of RPM to stabilize a long skinny projectile that's moving slowly. a 1:7 is probably good.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Excellent answers already given and thank you. Why don't you decide upon a particular can manufacture and ask them? Like already said better, some manufactures will NOT warrant their products with certain barrel length and twist combinations. If it were me, (which it is not) I would decide upon a certain can ... then ask that manufacture on their recommendations. Otherwise you may be making an expensive mistake. Just me. HB of CJ (old coot)

EliteIron High Quality Suppressors

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That psa upper is kinda nice for 299.99 I might snatched one up a little after the holidays. All I would need is a charging handle. I bought xdguru bcg from his infidel. I do like how their barrels are made from FN. Makes me feel more comfortable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts