Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting 1st build. I'm in NJ and can't find a stripped barrel I want. Looking for something in 5.56 mid or rifle length without a threaded end. Stainless is OK. Don't want fixed front sight. Hope I'm not being too picky.

Thanks,

J WETT

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
556 noveske chambered barrel. you will pay , but man that's a nice barrel. the chamber is a "noveske" chamber with tighter tolerances than most 556s. it's like a match grade 556 chamber. go for broke, I am on my next build.
Good luck whatever you choose.

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Yep; the bolt and barrel are the heart of the build. What do you want the rifle to do for you? Plinker? Casual target shooting? Little critters? Deer or pig rifle? Three gun? Or are you looking for a real tack driver that will shoot very tight indeed?

Plus you have State gun laws to comply with. Are you left handed? I am. Left hand stuff is now available if needed. Alexander Arms, Stag Arms, Daniel Defense, Douglas Barrels, Shaw, to name just a few. Lots of new high quality players in the industry.

Any one of the aforementioned manufactures and retailers can answer you specific questions. As already said better, many different barrel, twist and chamber combinations are now available from casual plinker to HD serious match rifle.

HB of CJ (old coot) Also try Midway and Brownells. Prepare to have fun! If I were inclined to re enter the fun and madness of the AR15 world, I would hold out for a 20" HB left hand 6.5 Grendel rifle. Now if I can just find a decent LH 6.5 Grendel bolt!

PS; Consider having the barrel provider also provide a matched bolt head that has been precision head space checked. This way you do not have to fool around making sure everything is correct. A great time saver.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep; the bolt and barrel are the heart of the build. What do you want the rifle to do for you? Plinker? Casual target shooting? Little critters? Deer or pig rifle? Three gun? Or are you looking for a real tack driver that will shoot very tight indeed?

Plus you have State gun laws to comply with. Are you left handed? I am. Left hand stuff is now available if needed. Alexander Arms, Stag Arms, Daniel Defense, Douglas Barrels, Shaw, to name just a few. Lots of new high quality players in the industry.

Any one of the aforementioned manufactures and retailers can answer you specific questions. As already said better, many different barrel, twist and chamber combinations are now available from casual plinker to HD serious match rifle.

HB of CJ (old coot) Also try Midway and Brownells. Prepare to have fun! If I were inclined to re enter the fun and madness of the AR15 world, I would hold out for a 20" HB left hand 6.5 Grendel rifle. Now if I can just find a decent LH 6.5 Grendel bolt!

PS; Consider having the barrel provider also provide a matched bolt head that has been precision head space checked. This way you do not have to fool around making sure everything is correct. A great time saver.
Just a plinker/casual target guy here. I am left handed but hold rifles on my right shoulder......don't ask. 4-500 for just a barrel is a little rich for my blood at this time. Just a NJ legal mid or rifle length gassed barrel unthreaded without fixed front sight. Nothing too fancy. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Just a plinker/casual target guy here. I am left handed but hold rifles on my right shoulder......don't ask. 4-500 for just a barrel is a little rich for my blood at this time. Just a NJ legal mid or rifle length gassed barrel unthreaded without fixed front sight. Nothing too fancy. Thanks!
a buddy of mine uses voodoo tactical barrels with no probs If you want a value priced barrel. midway USA also sales the stoners. pretty cheap.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
$250 gives you a few options with just the barrel. Consider the fact that you would spend $30-$50 on a gas block and another $10 on a gas tube PLUS separate shipping charges if you order them from different places, and it adds up quick. Keep that in mind with these options below.

White Oak (with gas block) - $285 (very likely a long wait on this though, WORTH IT)

White Oak Armament | AR15 Barrels | 20 inch .223 Varmint Barrel | 1 in 7 Twist with fitted Gas Manifold

Wilson Combat (no gas block) - $275 (another long backorder, but very worth it IMO)

Super Sniper Barrel | .223 Wylde | 20" | Stainless-Wilson Combat

Rock River Arms - $290 to $310 (I've heard very good things about these, but your handguard choices will be limited due to the bump in diameter after the gas block)

Rock River Arms: Stainless Steel Varmint Barrels

Yankee Hill Machine - $240 (one of the only non-stainless ones I've ever seen)

20" Fluted Melonite QPQ Barrels

Value Pick: DPMS Bull Barrel: $201

DPMS Barrel AR-15 223 Remington .920 Muzzle Diameter 1 9 Twist 20 SS

Be advised: whatever you do, make sure you find a handguard with a barrel nut that will slide over the heavy profile past the gas block. I had to have a barrel nut turned from 1.005" to 1.055" on the inside diameter because it wasn't big enough to slide over the shoulder past the gas block.

Build your gun around the barrel, any one of those manufacturers (especially the top tier) will have good headspacing and with a Mil-Spec bolt or similar (think the AIM surplus or the Ares Armor BCG's I linked you in another thread), you shouldn't have headspace issues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$250 gives you a few options with just the barrel. Consider the fact that you would spend $30-$50 on a gas block and another $10 on a gas tube PLUS separate shipping charges if you order them from different places, and it adds up quick. Keep that in mind with these options below.

White Oak (with gas block) - $285 (very likely a long wait on this though, WORTH IT)

White Oak Armament | AR15 Barrels | 20 inch .223 Varmint Barrel | 1 in 7 Twist with fitted Gas Manifold

Wilson Combat (no gas block) - $275 (another long backorder, but very worth it IMO)

Super Sniper Barrel | .223 Wylde | 20" | Stainless-Wilson Combat

Rock River Arms - $290 to $310 (I've heard very good things about these, but your handguard choices will be limited due to the bump in diameter after the gas block)

Rock River Arms: Stainless Steel Varmint Barrels

Yankee Hill Machine - $240 (one of the only non-stainless ones I've ever seen)

20" Fluted Melonite QPQ Barrels

Value Pick: DPMS Bull Barrel: $201

DPMS Barrel AR-15 223 Remington .920 Muzzle Diameter 1 9 Twist 20 SS

Be advised: whatever you do, make sure you find a handguard with a barrel nut that will slide over the heavy profile past the gas block. I had to have a barrel nut turned from 1.005" to 1.055" on the inside diameter because it wasn't big enough to slide over the shoulder past the gas block.

Build your gun around the barrel, any one of those manufacturers (especially the top tier) will have good headspacing and with a Mil-Spec bolt or similar (think the AIM surplus or the Ares Armor BCG's I linked you in another thread), you shouldn't have headspace issues.
Thank you!!! I think I like either the White Oak or the Wilson. I already ordered the blem'ed upper you referred to in another post. Waiting is NOT an issue. I'll flip a coin and order something up tomorrow and go from there. What barrel would you go with?

Funny you mention Ares because I looked at their NiB BCG the other day. $99 seemed like a good deal.

J WETT

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Heard great things about both. Kreiger and Shilen are top tier, Wilson and White Oak are just a little bit below. Both the WOA or the WC are great choices.

White Oak is 1-7, Wilson is 1-8. I personally believe 1-8 is an all around good choice but a lot of people say you can't over stabilize a bullet.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Try Fatboy tactical...I just got a Wilson Combat SS, 1/9 twist, carbine length M4 profile barrel for $129!!! Not a blemished, or seconds barrel either. It is sweet! They may be out of those but they have some other Wilson 18 inch SS barrels. Have fun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heard great things about both. Kreiger and Shilen are top tier, Wilson and White Oak are just a little bit below. Both the WOA or the WC are great choices.

White Oak is 1-7, Wilson is 1-8. I personally believe 1-8 is an all around good choice but a lot of people say you can't over stabilize a bullet.
About the upper. I find it a bit odd to put a $300 barrel on a $45 upper. Should I upgrade on the upper a bit? Should my stripped receivers be the same mfg?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts