Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I cleaned my XD9 Service model I noticed that the wear at the end of the barrel (on the first about 1/2 inch on the outside of barrel where it meets slide) was excessive to the point of being able to feel grooves or gouges. This freaked me out quite a bit because I've never heard of such a thing.

Has anyone else hear experienced this? I did searches on the forum and didn't see anything about it. I can't imagine I'm the only one though and just got really unlucky.

If anyone has any info on this I would greatly appreciate it. I know there are some gunsmiths and stuff here, maybe someone knows what the cause would be? Could it be a bad barrel? Could it be the slide? Could it be that I am allowing too much movement from recoil? A friend also suggested it could be a problem with the receiver where the barrel rests or something not being the right height.

I've only put about 1500 rounds of factory ammo (mostly federal) through it. The only few malfunctions I've had have been bad ammo of course. I really don't know what's going on here :(

I called Springfield last week, was put on hold once for so long I had to call them back and talk to a different person. Then I was told that I needed to talk to a tech before I could arrange to ship it to them and was told all the techs were just going out to lunch :roll:

They were supposed to call me back and never did of course. I guess I'll try calling them tomorrow. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because of the holidays.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
It's normal. I think the end of the barrel is enlarged to provide proper lockup with the slide, but James can probably explain better than I.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
SAK if it is just the blueing or finish wearing off thats normal meta aainst metal contact. If you really have gouges and can feel the grooves thats another...there should be no gouges that you can feel. Check the opening of te slide where the barrel goes does it have the gouges as well. If you do have gouges I would send the pistol for SA to check out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, unfortunately it is not just finish wear. The thing that alarmed me was being able to feel the indentation in the metal and feel the actually gouges :(

I will be shipping it back to Springfield for sure, but I'm a bit curious what the problem is. I have the stainless slide and it's hard to tell on the inside (least without a nice light, mirror, and magnifying glass) if the slide was affected.

I'm only worried because I have custom sites and trigger work invested in this gun and don't want Springfield to tell me that voided the warranty or caused the problem cus there's no way in hell it did. I just hope the slid hasn't been affected :(

·
Registered
221 Posts
After you mentioning this i went and looked at my XD9. I noticed a slight ridge about 1cm in from the end of the barrel. I'm thinking it is normal. I have about 600 rds thru mine right now and have had no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an XD-40 Tactical and an XD-9 Service. Both Pistols have those ridges. I believe that is the lock-up area on a bushingless barrel. FWIW

·
Registered
91 Posts
The question is:

Are these "gouges" circular around the barrel or do they travel down the barrel length-wise.

There is definately a "ridge" that wraps around the end of the barrel causing the end to be a tiny bit "fatter" than the rest of the barrel. As others have suggested, this is probably for fitting or locking purposes.

My barrel has extreme wear of the finish near the tip that, at first, I thought was bad. After thousands more rounds though, there is no actual wear on the barrel, just removal of the finish.

www.ghg.net/swalker/xd9/barrel4.jpg
www.ghg.net/swalker/xd9/barrel.jpg
www.ghg.net/swalker/xd9/barrel3.jpg

Looks like "gouges".. kinda feels like gouges, but this wear is normal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine are similar possum, only more sever i think. IDK, we'll see what springfield says when they check out the gun. I shipped it out to them today. They were very helpful on the phone this time, I guess the other confusion was just because of the holidays.

I sent a letter with it, hopefully they follow the instructions. I worry a lot about my baby, especially since I've had custom work done to it :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
You folks are not alone. I too have _SEVERE_ gouges at end of barrel.

I'll have it looked at by my local Gunsmith [Dealer] where I purchased it. I would however be interested at what Springfield Armory has to say. Too me this is not normal wear.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If you have severe gouges there, it's probably due to you being sloppy with your cleaning rod.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After a couple phone calls (they didn't always get back to me like they said they would) they were most helpful at Springfield.

I also called Rich from Canyon Creek as he's the one that did my trigger work and installed my sites and probably knows more about the XD than the guy that designed em ;)

He told me it sounded completely normal to them, and that it happens when the slide tries to find its way back home. It was alarming I will still say when I first noticed them. Local buddies also thought it was bad. But I guess that's just how the XD is designed.

Anyhow, Mark from Springfield took a look and called me back as I persistantly requested (even sent them a big ole handwritten note). He said it was completely normal and nothing to worry about. I'm happy to know I'll get my pistol back now. Maybe if I'm lucky they'll throw in something extra for free hehe. (can't ever have too many mags :twisted: )

Hopefully this thread will be a reference for other new Springfield owners and ease some minds.

P.S. - XDs must vary a bit in regards to this. Maybe some are made a little better so that they don't have this problem as much. Either that or it can be attributed to how the gun is shot (eg. how the barrel/slide are angled when the slide reaches its resting point). I don't doubt you are right when you say it shouldn't happen ajames. Is it something you have EVER seen? Maybe on the ones you own it doesn't happen because you shoot better?

I'm not bothered by recoil, but I probably hold the gun too weak (in an effort to be accurate). This may be a good time to tighten up. Even though I was taught not to worry about pistol shaking, it's a hard nature habbit to break.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hate to bring this dead thread to the top again, but it's depressing. I met someone last night at the pistol club with a 4" XD9 just like mine, he said he's put 3k-4k rounds through it. We took it down, no gouges or gashes at all, looked completely like new :( So depressing

I'll take pictures of it when I get it back from Springfield, and then maybe ill tell them they have to replace it.

In the mean time, here's a quote from their press release on the matter

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just post pics. We may all be missing your point.

Cleaned my gun last night and All i have is finish wear down the length of the barrel. You can feel the bulge in the end of the barrel if you stroke it with your fingers.

:shock:

"Gouge" however, im not sure what you mean. I have some little gouges in the end of my barrel but i think they are from the original rifling process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
[TASF]Overkill;9407 said:
If you have severe gouges there, it's probably due to you being sloppy with your cleaning rod.
We are not talking about anything remotely involving a cleaning rod. These gouges are at the exterior, forward, bottom portion of the barrel. A cleaning rod could not, in no possible way, cause these gouges!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Hey, [TASF]Overkill longtime no see. Nice to hear from you. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts