Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced this? Today was the first time I shot my xdm 3.8 compact and when I was cleaning it at home after putting maybe 80 rounds thru it I found this spot that looks kinda like some finish came off the end of the barrel. Before shooting the first time I made sure everything was lubed as it should be so I'm not sure why this looks as it does... BTW this is my first time posting here. I have read and learned a lot on this great site... Thanks for any and all replies!!
IMG_20141025_184336_151.jpg
IMG_20141025_184710_367.jpg
IMG_20141025_184710_367.jpg

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jose C. Is it possible that it was like that when you bought it? Anyway, you can probably touch that up with a Birchwood Casey touch up pen. Or maybe even some liquid cold blue. It would hide it pretty well.

Amazon.com Birchwood Casey Super Black Touch-Up Pen Flat Sports Outdoors

My 3.8 Compact doesn't have any marks like that on the end of the barrel. That is not really a wear point. It almost looks like a speck of white paint, say from a shooting bench or something. Is it bare metal?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appears to be bare metal. I have babied this thing since I bought it a week ago and just now got to shoot it. Makes me sick to my stomach seeing that little spot. It seems to be on the chamfered (angled) part of the end of the barrel at the crown. Also I'm referring to the spot on the bottom of the barrel above the guide rod. Thanks

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Run it . It will show more wear in dif parts some enough. I wouldn't sweat it. Good,pics btw

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man I might just use touch up pen and not worry with it. I paid $575 for it a week ago and then see that and about went crazy LOL It's the first new pistol I've bought in 15 years and I guess I expected it to be spotless for a while. Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Have you ran only factory rounds through it?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If it was a chip or crack I'd flip. I know the feeling , you pay good money and want to keep it pristine . Only way to do that is to never use it, you'll find some great folks here , always wanting to help. Some big heads too, but don't let me rent space in your head, go have fun with it and give us a range report :)

Oh yea, welcome from tn

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I was thinking lead fouling

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I should have googled it myself instead of asking LOL This is what I shot about 3 mags of
IMG_20141025_210438_194[1].jpg
and then shot my friend's ammo which looked the same to me.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Ah, then leading shouldn't be a concern for you. I agree that the marks look odd. But, I am just evaluating a couple of pics on the internet. If it's got you really concerned, use that awesome lifetime warranty through Springfield Armory, and let us know what they say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No more than it is and if it doesn't get worse if I just pen it in it should be fine you think? BTW I can't really even feel it with my fingernail. It is so slight that I'm not sure if I feel it or not... Thanks guys

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Same here. Shoot it. Enjoy it. That spot can be fixed by Springfield but it would not concern me unless it was a safe queen or strictly a range gun. I don't inspect my wrenches or trencher blades with a magnifying glass. I keep them in good working order and work the hell out of them. I have some safe queens, but my XDs is quickly becoming my carry gun...a tool. I am keeping it clean, not pristine, and I am shooting the hell out of it.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I take very good care of my guns but they don't all get treated the same way.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Its far enough from the crown I wouldn't sweat it. But its odd and a manufacturing defect might be covered I wouldn't care enough to go 5 days without my new toy.

Its not a touched place at all so lube is inconsequential.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts