Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new Rock River Arms A4 Midlength (16inch barrel). I am going to change the barrel to a 20 inch chrome plated or stainless. I plan on using all the original hardware. Looking at the RRA website, it looks like I just need the barrel and gas tube since I already have a 12 inch UTG quad rail. Am I correct, or is there any other parts that I've missed.

Also, when I do change the barrel, anyone interested in a 16 inch midlength chrome moly barrel? :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
RRA shows the new barrel assemblies as coming with the front sight.

And yes, the barrels will be CHROME PLATED. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure you want to do this? Your RRA already has an superb complete upper (excellent barrel and my preferred midlength gas system) and it would be a shame to waste it. Why don't you just buy a RRA Varmint complete upper and have two guns in one? What information made you decide to make such a drastic change on a brand new rifle? You can do whatever you want of course, but I am curious.

A civilian, especially in an arid state like Texas, does not need a chrome lined barrel or stainless barrel. Just clean the bore after every shooting session and your barrel will last a long, long, long time. The chroming process can be uneven, so usually a non-chrome lined barrel (like the one you have now) will be more accurate.
My original plan was to buy a RRA full size A4. I already have a new RRA Entry Tactical M4 that I love! Well, I bought the UTG 12 inch Quad Rail hand guard, vertical grip and bi pod for my A4. But when my dealers orders arrived, it only came with mid length A4s. Now, I'm not the most patient person in the world, and due to the high demand or ar-15s, coupled with the fact that I already had to wait a month, and that I only paid $950 for the brand new rifle, I decided to just get the midlegnth and make it into the rifle that I wanted. Besides, I already have a RRA .308 varmint rifle with a 26 inch stainless barrel on order. Don't need two varmint rifles. :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, do your self a favor and ditch the UTG rails and get a free float set up. If you still just want non-free float get something other thanthe UTG.
Why? Now I'm not much of an expert as many of the users are on here, but I find that the rails aresolidly built, don't rattle, fit snug, and I've seen almost nothing but great reviews on them. :confused:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I agree with you. This project could turn out to be worth much less than the original. I picture the upper receiver crushed or distorted in a vice. I have a UTG front sight tool that is surprisingly well made. However, I don't know if I would build my dream rifle around a UTG non-free-float quad rail. At the gunshow I went to this weekend there was UTG stuff at every other table. If I were to appraise a brand new RRA A4 middy vs. a custom job with UTG parts, the RRA middy would be worth twice as much to me.
Isn't that what an armors action clamp/block is for? I was under the impression that these prevent frame distortion and will help protect the finish during barrel changes. They are only 40 bucks.

Also, I would hardly classify an A4 as my "dream rifle". I just wanted a 20 inch barrel, and if the utg quads suck, I'll just toss them, I spend more on ammo during a trip at the range then the amount I paid for them anyways. Wow, people sure are touchy on this forum. :neutral:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't know what the OP will decide to do, but I do know that my choice of going with a chrome-lined barrel (Bushy) had nothing to do with humidity. I doubt if anybody else's choice of a chrome-lined barrel had much to do with humidity, either. Chrome-lined barrels are nearly as accurate as that same barrel non-chrome-lined. I've shot some 1/2" groups with my Bushy Shorty with the chrome-lined barrel. (Barrel is free-floated; JP trigger @2.5#; my handloads, using H335 and Berger bullets.

A chrome-lined barrel will last thousands of rounds more than a non-chrome-lined barrel. As for stainless; humidity has nothing to do with anybody's selection of a stainless rifle barrel, either. Most match barrels are stainless.
Yes! Someone understands! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts