Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my uncle owns a barber shop, and I decided to stop by and see him since I hadn't seen him in a few weeks. And low and behold he had a sign printed up that read " no weapons or guns allowed in the shop." Didn't get a chance to talk to him since he wasn't there, my question is how do I talk to him about conceal carry. And is this sign even legal.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Being a private shop (presumably) it is perfectly legal. He has the right to deny anyone he wants.

As far as talking to him about it, try to keep it loose. Dont get argumentative because then he WILL NOT receive you. Take some statistics with you show or share with him and try to explain your stance on it. I explain it like this: My gun is equivalent to a fire extinguisher, I hope to never have to use it to protect what is important to me but I love knowing its there should I ever need it. Good luck and remember do not be argumentative because from my experiences you will lose their attention and will not get through.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Being a private shop (presumably) it is perfectly legal. He has the right to deny anyone he wants.

As far as talking to him about it, try to keep it loose. Dont get argumentative because then he WILL NOT receive you. Take some statistics with you show or share with him and try to explain your stance on it. I explain it like this: My gun is equivalent to a fire extinguisher, I hope to never have to use it to protect what is important to me but I love knowing its there should I ever need it. Good luck and remember do not be argumentative because from my experiences you will lose their attention and will not get through.
^^ This. Keep it polite.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are 30.06 signs, and does he need one? If a family didn't allow you carry in their home or business would you just leave your gun in the car??????

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
What are 30.06 signs, and does he need one? If a family didn't allow you carry in their home or business would you just leave your gun in the car??????
My wife isnt cool with my dad or myself carrying in the house, we have a 4 year old and a 6 month old, so dad brings his in and puts it in the coat closet in our living room. If thats not good enough he can always put it in my safe or whatever. Always worth talking about if youre concerned.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The first aid/cpr instructor had a favorite saying: "you can't fix stupid". Now I'm not calling your relative stupid but ignorant surely come to mind and tongue (keyboard).

Barber shops are low risk high value targets. They are typically all cash businesses, one or two principals and customers in that jovial good-ol'-boy mood. There is usually no back room and only one door right near the head barber. No panic buttons, no security.

My favorite barber was robbed 11 times in his career. On three other occassions I thwarted a robbery by pulling the sheet off my lap revealing a gun in hand just as I noticed a newly arrived thug going for his; one wet his pants and one dropped a real deuce scrambling backward out the door. I got to laughing so hard seeing that turd fall out of the leg of his baggy, saggy pants that I nearly shot my own leg. We still do a little lift the leg and shake routine when we meet up out doing our respective errands; laugh our fool heads off too.

Barbershops were favorite IPSC/USPSA scenario fodder back when I competed.

I don't surrender my gun when visiting somebodies home; relatives especially. I do carry a Center of Mass locking steel box if it makes folks more comfortable--but then I make them lock all their doors and put the porch lights on.

·
Registered
786 Posts
In Texas only a 30.06 sign makes it illegal to carry in that place of business That is to stop people from putting up small hard to read signs and then calling thr cops as a crime, don't know about other states

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
Ask him if he thinks someone who would want to rob him would be deterred by the sign.

Ask him if he would like to get return business from customers who carry, and point out that the sign only alienates them.

Ask him if he would like to get business from new customers who carry, and that the sign alienates them, as well.

In short...hit the bottom line.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Many states have strict laws regulating the posting of signs with respect to size/dimensions, symbols, letter height, color, etc.. Signs that don't meet the requirement of the law aren't necessarily considered valid and legally binding. You need to read the laws of your state w.r.t. signage and then talk to the barber as suggested.

edit: just saw Lopper's post -

·
Registered
806 Posts
Start dropping these in his mailbox whenever you visit.

Link to where I found this:

Full-color “No guns = No money” 4×6 business owner education card. « The Snowball in Hell

And here's a good excerpt from the original author:

I recently talked with a local business owner about his “No Guns” sign on his front door.
He stated he didn’t realize that there a number of people who can legally carry, and the sign was aimed at the thugs, not “good” people. Unfortunately, the sign (which carries the weight of law in North Carolina) does not distinguish punks from people.
He agreed he would actually like to have legitimate gun owners around if the SHTF. In this case, education worked.
Using ideas from a thread on another forum, I have produced some cards that can be printed and handed out to other business owners.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If he thinks it makes his shop safer, he can possible be educated.
If he is totally anti-gun and close minded, good luck.

You can point out that the criminals won't obey some words on a sign.
In fact they might target his shop because they know it's a 'no defense' zone.
All the while losing business from CHL holders.

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
The requirements of such notification are a posted sign at least five inches by seven inches in size and prominently placed and visible at the entrances of the locale.

This is what it says under the new concealed carry law in our state of wisconsin.

Looks like he is planning in advance for the onslaught of people who will be applying for a permit on Nov. 1st

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You have to turn it around on him. Start up the conversation from his point of view with "It's so nice of you to care about keeping your customers safe!" and "Thanks for keeping the ruffians out of here!". Get him to agree with you and to feel appreciated thus taking the conversation in a direction he can get behind. Next you have to start planting ideas in his head about why it is a bad idea. You can't come out and say "Those won't work!" or "Criminals don't obey the law!" or he will get defensive and the conversation will die. You have to ease into it and let him be the one to make the decision. You can say something like "Well, what about the police?" or "What about an undercover agent?". Get him to rebuke his idea on his own. Once you have the foot in the door you can open it up to "Well, what about trained, licensed citizens who carry a gun all day long?". You will hit more resistance or you may just get through. It make take many conversations and you may never change his mind but at least you can put an inkling of doubt for him to think about!

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
If a no guns sign does not meet legal requirements I still carry. If the sign is legit, I mostly go somewhere else.

My wife likes to point out to me signs that do not meet legal requirements.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Here in Florida those signs don't mean anything unless it is a federal building, but if the guy asks you to leave and you don't then you are trespassing, then again, they should not know because concealed is concealed.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I wouldn't go to that much trouble. I simply wouldn't enter their home or place of business. If you don't accept my gun, then you don't need my patronage or company.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Read through these posts for a couple days and get good talking points. Be very calm and not arguementive. If you have a good relationship with him he will respond. Take this with you.

or

I can send full size if these don't print our right, PM your email address. P.S. I tried them and they didn't come out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts