Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been shooting handguns for a couple years now (long guns since I was small), and I hear people refer to "banging" their mags before shooting...Does this mean smacking the base against the table? Does it settle the rounds in the magazine better? Should I be doing this? Is it dangerous? Thanks for constantly helping become a safer, more knowledgeable, and profecient pistol shooter. nocalkind

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what the term "banging" your mags is... I have heard people who have problems getting the 15th (or 12th for those who have the .40) "tapping" the magazine to get the last round in... is that what you are talking about?

Raymond

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
After loading your mag, grasp it at the base and tapp the back of it against your thigh. This will help settle the rounds into place and align them better preventing a possible feeding problem. If they rattle when loaded, you can push down quickly on the top round a few times and it will help to align them and quiet the rattling mag (works most times).

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'll generally tap the top, back side of the mag against the palm of my hand or my thigh to make sure that all of the cartridges are set completely to the rear of the magazine in order to avoid feeding problems.

P

·
0 Posts
And you bang, you bang
Oh baby
When you move, it moves
It goes crazy
'Cause it looks like a flower but it stings
like a bee
Like every gun in history
It bangs, it bangs

Preacher Hung

·
Registered
16 Posts
IMHO it is a pointless exercise. As the gun fires and the slide begins its rearward journey the next round in the mag is being pushed up into the slide under the force of the mag spring. As the cycles continues rearward the pickup bar drags the top round in the magazine rearward until it clears the rim and then drives it forward on its way home. The force exerted between the magazine spring and the slide dragging over the top of the next round during recoil far exceeds what is generated by tapping the magaizine against your hand, leg, etc.

As a shooter who has a fairly high round count per year I have never practiced tapping the mag and I haven't notice any ill effects over the years.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's an M16 thing. The first GSSF match I attended the RO asked me why I did it, and I just looked at him. It is so automatic that I didn't realize I was doing it. The more consistant the position of the rounds is as they feed up the magazine, the better they seem to feed. It's like the tiger repellent, "But there aren't any tigers around here." "See, it works."

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have noticed that when loading mags that sometimes they don't align completely correctly, I usually tap them on my palm as I get close to filling it. That helps the rounds to pop into place (thanks to the mag spring pushing on them) allowing the last few rounds to fo in easier. I notice that soemtimes they do this on thier own to. I can feel them pop into place all at once as I am loading the mag. I have mainly noticed this on .45s for some reason (my glock 21 and my old HK USPc .45 are the 2 I specifically remeber this happening to).

It doesn't hurt anything and is a good check to make sure the rounds are where they are suppoed to be inside the mag.

The one gun I notice the guys at my guns shop do this is with the HK UMP .45 they have for rent. Then again it is a 30 round .45acp magazine going into a high dollar full-auto firearm. I would want those things to be right where they need to be too.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
When my dept. switched from revolvers to semis in 89-90, we were told to do it so there would not be any feeding problems. Well, I never have had any feeding problems after doing that all these years.
Must be the tiger repellent again.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
RonS said:
It's an M16 thing. The first GSSF match I attended the RO asked me why I did it, and I just looked at him. It is so automatic that I didn't realize I was doing it.
Funny, I do that all the time too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts