Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that we have been having some bandwidth issues as of late?? I wish there was something I could do to help out but there are not any threads that I can see that detail how to become a supporter here at www.hs2000talk.com

How much bandwidth do we use every month???

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Shhhhhhh!

Well, great. Just great. Now this stupid little post of yours is contributing to the bandwidth consumption.

****! Now mine is too!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I run an ISP and already emailed the admin twice offering him assistance. I also offered up better bulletin board software (vbulletin), photo gallery software (photopost), webmail software (hivemail), among other things, but have yet to receive a reply. Just trying to help.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Yeah, I could not get on since last night...I changed my browser to Firefox and thought I screwed something up...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is sad that the owner isn't a little more hands on. I would be happy to try and help our finacially, but there isn't any post or threads telling members how to go about it.

Kermee if you are out there please get in touch with Dotagious it sounds like he is making a very generous offer. That could be a huge boon to this site. We need some new software so badly. The one thing that just drives me nuts is this outdated forum software!!!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would also like to see us harness the power of having over 5,000 members and get much more into bulk purchases, special offers, and even hold contests. I can also guarantee you that if SA was approached in the right way; we could form a good relationship that would benefit everyone. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
My opinion is that it may not be the software unless there is some sort of size limatation. But the message I kept getting was from the Apache Server the ISP is running and is probably using the same server for other boards and that bandwidth had been exceeded. There is just so much you can shove down a pipe before its blocked. One big factor to keep in mind is the popularity that the XD has generated and the number of fans that are purchasing the pistol. And those same people searching for advice or assist other users that are new to the handgun and XD (Myself Included (Novice Side)). If you get enough folks trying to jam into the pipeline at the same time something has got to give or in this case not give. Almost like trying to all jam into the movie theater at once to get the best seat, somebody gets left out. I just tried a little later and was able to get here.

Bill....... :wink:

·
Registered
778 Posts
ka101 said:
My opinion is that it may not be the software unless there is some sort of size limatation. But the message I kept getting was from the Apache Server the ISP is running and is probably using the same server for other boards and that bandwidth had been exceeded. There is just so much you can shove down a pipe before its blocked. One big factor to keep in mind is the popularity that the XD has generated and the number of fans that are purchasing the pistol. And those same people searching for advice or assist other users that are new to the handgun and XD (Myself Included (Novice Side)). If you get enough folks trying to jam into the pipeline at the same time something has got to give or in this case not give. Almost like trying to all jam into the movie theater at once to get the best seat, somebody gets left out. I just tried a little later and was able to get here.

Bill....... :wink:
I wasn't trying to imply the bandwidth problem was the result of software.... new software was just an offer I had made, in addition to other things (i.e. providing more bandwidth). On that note however, the vbulletin software does run much more efficiently than phpBB and will help lesson the impact of more users and thus high bandwidth consumption. I just want to help improve things overall, that's all. :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
vbulletin is harder to use than phpbb and more annoying imho. i've stopped going to many forums over time because they changed to vbulletin.

Phpbb has not a damn thing to do with exceeding a site's transfer limit. if the forums actually ran slow or something, yeah change...but they run just fine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Personally I've always liked both PHPbb (as well as its postnuke variant) and vBullitin. I also offered hosting services to the admin as well some time back, and never received a reply, nor to my request for info on becoming a supporter. This place is an awesome one, but yes, it would be nice if there was a person with command decision making authority were present. :)

Matthew

·
Registered
778 Posts
ampleworks said:
vbulletin is harder to use than phpbb and more annoying imho. i've stopped going to many forums over time because they changed to vbulletin.

Phpbb has not a damn thing to do with exceeding a site's transfer limit. if the forums actually ran slow or something, yeah change...but they run just fine.
It’s not the primary reason for exceeding bandwidth, but it does contribute. I have been writing add-ons for vbulletin for 4 years and have personally seen the raw code of both pieces of software. vBulletin is written substantially better and consumes less bandwidth when performing similar functions as its counterparts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dotagious said:
I would also like to see us harness the power of having over 5,000 members and get much more into bulk purchases, special offers, and even hold contests. I can also guarantee you that if SA was approached in the right way; we could form a good relationship that would benefit everyone. :D
Now you are talking!!!

If EVERYONE bought a new XD from hs200talk.com ina group buy I bet we could get a really good deal.... 200 for a .357 Tac anyone?

ok lets get to it.. I am in!

·
Registered
120 Posts
ampleworks said:
vbulletin also offers this thing called GZIP compression, which compresses the page on the server end, thus using less bandwidth. GZIP compression is when you sit there waiting for a form and pictures to load, and then *BOOM* the whole page is there. that does save on bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
I hate to break it to you fellas, but Kermee isn't a guy!!...He is the server. :shock:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
awbrollini,

That is actually available as an apache module, which is lower level than the forum software.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Oh, and I also forgot to mention that vBulletin is a hell of a lot less susceptible to hackers… which appears to be a factor to consider on this website.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, I'm #2 in line for the 357 tac...lol, and I would be willing to fork over some doe for the cause. Give us a place to paypal to or something. And no, I'm not handing out free money to everyone with a paypal account...I know you were thinking it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts