Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my .223 0'd at 25 yards. Can anyone help me with a balistics chart for that 0'd distance? I can only find the charts that have the 0's at 100yds

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What ammo? If you are using reloads, we'll need the specs. Other than that...it would be a pure guess to tell you where you'd be at 100 yards with a 25-yard zero.

And, as for a ballistics chart...out to what range do you want to know your dope?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
winchester 55 gr. fmj with 24 grains of powder (forget what we use to reload) and out to 250 or 3

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you're reloading you really must have a chrono! If you knew what the MV was and the BC of the bullet there are a lot of programs you can buy or download to figure this all out for you. Basically, if you know how long it takes for the bullet to get to the distance you can calculate the bullet drop as follows: Drop = 192 t^2, that is, if it took 0.25 seconds to reach the target the bullet would drop 192 X (0.25)^2 or about 12 inches. Now, the drop is relative to the bore of the rifle.

Brian

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Raptor just said what I was thinking. Without knowing your specific load, powder (and preferably your MV), there is no way to give you the information you are looking for with any reasonable certainty.

Making it simple:

1) Bullet Type (you said Win. 55gr FMJ...I assume you mean the FMJ BT which has a BC of 0.148 );
2) 24gr of ?????? (you need at least the type of powder to guesstimate the velocity you are obtaining from reliable reloading sources...again it is going to be speculating based on published load data and not your specific rifle);
3) Your MV if you can provide it (by chrono...or at least #2 above).

The other factors that we won't even get in to at this point are ambient temp., altitude/elevation above/below sea level, barometric pressure, and sight height to name a few.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks! i am try'n to find out what we use now, and would appriciate it if that information could help you all lead me to an answer

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imr 4895 powder... 3000 or 3100 fps with 55gr boat tail fmj?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
.223 55gr FMJBT @ a MV of 3000fps

.223 55gr FMJBT @ a MV of 3100fps

Again, these numbers are based on a whole lot of assumptions, so it is up to you to determine the accuracy of the data with your particular rifle and ammunition. I would also suggest a different zero range than 25 yards unless this is a CQB setup and you just need to know the extended ranges for plinking or something else.

Good luck,
ORD out...

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I would also suggest a different zero range than 25 yards unless this is a CQB setup and you just need to know the extended ranges for plinking or something else.

Good luck,
ORD out...
Agreed. I would recommend the Improved Battlesight Zero at 50yds or one of the others listed on that website.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts