Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to practice drawing correctly aiming and firing while NOT at the range (in front of the mirror to examine technique etc...) i have read mixed things about dry firing and wondered if its bad for the handgun.

·
Registered
463 Posts
in my own opinion it's an old wives tale that you cant dry fire any gun..true some guns are damaged by dry firing(old muzzleloaders and cowboy action pistols come to mind). I dry fired the %$^&$ out of my XDM45 when I first bought it and locked the slide to the rear and let it slam forward on an empty chamber a few dozen times. my xdm has a better trigger, easier slide release and better reliability than any other gun I've used before.

snap caps would help train for misfires though and certainly cant hurt.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I made myself some dummy rounds with lead round nose bullets and I just filled the primer pockets with orange rtv silicone, they work great for dry firing and malfunction drills! plus the orange stands out so I know what ones are the dummy rounds

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I made myself some dummy rounds with lead round nose bullets and I just filled the primer pockets with orange rtv silicone, they work great for dry firing and malfunction drills! plus the orange stands out so I know what ones are the dummy rounds
Good idea with your dummy rounds and good luck with your holster business i checked out your site.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Many of us have had no problems dry firing. But a lot of us have had a roll pin break a lot sooner without the use of snap caps. I use snap caps. It won't break the bank and it could save you the hassle of changing a roll pin. my 2.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

Sorry, snap caps are EASY to see that they are NOT live ammo. Loading brass dummies is putting you at risk of a negligent discharge or a of loading up a dummy into your mag and suffering a dude when you need it.

Your call, but I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry, snap caps are EASY to see that they are NOT live ammo. Loading brass dummies is putting you at risk of a negligent discharge or a of loading up a dummy into your mag and suffering a dude when you need it.

Your call, but I wouldn't do it.
I agree - wouldn't it be pretty easy to put a powder coating on the brass before making them?

I'm VERY VERY careful about segregating ammo from my practice areas but that walks too close to the line for me.

Good idea but just needs a few more safeguards than the primer since you can't see the primer on a chambered round or 2-3 rounds deep in a mag.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
There have been some issues with the xdm and roll pins breaking from dry firing. I happen to be one of those people who had an issue. But since new roll pin install I have dry fired alot with and without caps. No issues since the change. It wont hurt your gun in any other way. Just make sure you don't have any live rds in the room with you. I got distracted and had to by a new window!
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Your biggest issue will be the roll pin breaking. While not an expensive are difficult fix why risk not having your weapon with you are not working due to a broken pin. Snap caps are a very inexpensive remedy and are great tools.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I personally recommend the use of snap caps. I think the extra peace of mind is worth it. I also think it is important to practice your trigger pull with them, to be sure that you are not flinching. I use the A-Zoom brand, which are a VERY different color and appearance from live rounds. I'd say they are well worth the cost.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
There like 5-10 bucks, i wouldnt hesitate to get them if i was in question.

FYI, You probably spent more on your electric bill starting and veiwing this thread, than to just buy the snap caps lol, sorry i seen "Invest in snap caps" made me think

1 - 20 of 35 Posts