Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought when I sent my XD357 in to be refinished I'd have no more worries. Now the finish has come off to bare metal in three spots. Only carried it maybe 2-3 hours and the rest of the time its locked in the center console of my truck. Only thing I can think that could have wore it is the Fobus holster. :evil:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Plastic holsters are HELL on a gun finish. However, it still shouldn't have come off that fast. Springfield is probably swamped with people wanting their gun refinished right now just because they can and I imagine they are rushing things a bit too fast. For about $150 including shipping you can have the gun GunKote'd. That's a parkerization followed by the normal gunkote. It's supposed to hold up really well. Mac's does it.

http://www.shootiniron.com/

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Your FOBUS is the culprit bro.
Mine came back from SA with a new coat of Armory Kote..and after holstering once...it had scratches on it. Especially on the top corners of the slide.
I applied some Armadillo protectant stuff....and bought a new leather holster..no more problems.
I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. :?

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
stay away from fobus.

BTW, you cant bitch about a free refinish job

·
Registered
62 Posts
The problem with plastic is that it provides a hard surface for grit. It acts like sand paper. It will scratch anything.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Humm I like my fobus,carry it daily with no problems and have carried it for about 6 months now.Just take a rag and wipe it out to remove the dust and "grit".

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Fobus is a POS. Even Uncle Mike's is better. I carry mine in leather and use kydex only for competitions though. I like the nice sturdy feel of kydex but it does not conceal or wear as comfy as leather.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have mine dura coated and I have the plastic SA holster and I don’t have any wear... I keep mine in the holster on me all the time but do draw and holster a lot ( for trigger finger safety)

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Spray some Armor All onto a rag, or take one of the pretreated towelettes, and wipe the inside of your holster down. This will make it a little more slick and less abrasive on the finish. This goes for all "plastic" holsters. I found it to be a great trick.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Humm I like my fobus,carry it daily with no problems and have carried it for about 6 months now.
Me too. I've used Fobus paddles for about 4 years now, with a couple of different guns. I leave the gun with a light film of what most would consider the "lowest tech" oil on the market- boring old "3 in 1 Oil." I have had neither rust nor unusual finish wear issues, despite the fact that my gun lives in Fobus paddle, bouncing around inside my Dillons Concealed-Carry tote. When it ain't in there, it's being worn- sun, rain, hot cold. No problems.

Hell boys, it's a hard-use plastic pistol. It ain't gonna be purty no matter what you do to it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Don't get me wrong, my Fobus does the job very well. If I know I'm gonna be out in the woods or somethin like that....I'll use it. Just cuz I know it won't tear on some briars or somethin like that.
Ya can't beat the price either.
I've used the Armor All technique as well....plus it makes it shiney!!
Just keep it off the pistol's grip.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know if that Canyon Creek is the same or not. Mac's parkerizes it first and then gunkote's it inside and out.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My Fobus holster completely ruined my Armory Kote finish. I am planning to get a new holster and have the whole gun chromed just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
kyarcher said:
Well I thought when I sent my XD357 in to be refinished I'd have no more worries. Now the finish has come off to bare metal in three spots. Only carried it maybe 2-3 hours and the rest of the time its locked in the center console of my truck. Only thing I can think that could have wore it is the Fobus holster. :evil:
That sucks. Sounds like Springfield mistakenly gave your XD the "chocolate candy bar" finish. :) Will they fix it for you? I have the XD gear holster similar to the Fobus, and haven't had that problem with the stock finish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts