Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here it goes off top the gun wouldn't feed a round in through the mag and when it actually fired it was like the slide was moving in slow motion so i started to think it was the ammo it was the remingtion 100 pack of jhp from wal mart some times it functioned fine others it didnt so i started thinking i was limp wristing but that wasnt it then i thought it was the mags but it even did it with the factory mags when i used winchester fmj it worked flawless and less build up on the feed ramp anyways if you have any ideas for me it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sounds like you answered your own question.

Remington bulk pack = malfunctions
WWB = no malfuntions.

Try some other brand of ammo and see what happens, UMC or Blazer are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Regarding the Remington UMC and Winchester WWB, I have had the opposite experience.

UMC worked fine, WWB caused double-feeds.

Blazer has never ever given me any problems at all.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
high velocity this is my first time using this ammo they were out of winchester 100 pack so i wanted to see how good this ammo was . Does the remington always cause malfunctions or can some peoples function fine with it

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have not had any problems with the remington bulk pack but that doesn't mean that your box wasn't from a bad lot or perhaps your gun is finnicky as some are.
I have found that ammunition manufacturing is pretty inconsistant. If it were me, I would go to a different walmart and buy the same box of ammo with a different LOT number and see if I had the same problem, if not, I'd be calling remington to complain.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
some one at the range was like if you polish the feed ramp you will never have this problem but people who do it in 1911's still cant feed certain ammo after polishing the feed ramp so what difference would it make when the remington isnt my carry load i carry hydrshoks and they function fine in all the weights

·
Registered
181 Posts
Figgy,

I'm not trying to be the punctuation Nazi or anything but your posts are very hard to read without a few periods breaking things up. :wink:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know bro im just lazy i guess and i hate putting them in cause i always put them in the wrong spot :oops:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so far it likes all the weights that hydrashock (federal) offers but i heard bad things all of a sudden about they dont penatrate denim so i was looking for something else to use . For the people who own xd40s whats the load of choice i perfer a hollow point though

·
Registered
25 Posts
Figgy1682 said:
ok here it goes off top the gun wouldn't feed a round in through the mag and when it actually fired it was like the slide was moving in slow motion so i started to think it was the ammo it was the remingtion 100 pack of jhp from wal mart some times it functioned fine others it didnt so i started thinking i was limp wristing but that wasnt it then i thought it was the mags but it even did it with the factory mags when i used winchester fmj it worked flawless and less build up on the feed ramp anyways if you have any ideas for me it would be greatly appreciated
I am not buying this find the ammo your gun likes talk. My XD-40 would only reliably feed WWB FMJ's. It was having constant FTF's on pretty much all JHP ammo. It absolutely did not feed WWB JHP's. I sent it back to SA and they polished the feed ramp and breech face, re-radiused the chamber and did some work on the slide. Now it eats up all ammo even WWB JHP.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I use Winchester Ranger Talon. My former dept. uses it and I continue to do so as a defensive round now that I'm retired.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think the XD 40's should come polished from the factory. First thing I did when I bought mine was put a mirror finish on the feedramp and smoothed the edge/entrace into the bottom of the chamber (w/ just an abrasive metal polish). Then I smoothed out the top little cut at the entrance to the chamber. It'll feed any ammo you can put in it. WWB 165 180 gr FMJ, UMC 180 gr FMJ & JHP, Golden Saber 165/180 gr and Winchester Ranger 180gr jhp.

The Ranger jhp bullet has has very smooth profile and has always seemed to feed the smoothest-however they all worked for me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
wJAKE19 said:
I carry hornady custom 180gr. XTP in my xd 40
its an old hunting bullet, I say if its good enough to hunt deer, bear, and other big game it will hunt humans good too..
:shock: You were kidding right?

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you have some very fine sandpaper(400 or 600 grit), use some with your little finger and slick up the feed ramp.

My XD 40 does not like Gold Dots. Not that often, but every once in a while I get one that hangs up on the ramp. The jacket around the mouth of the HP digs in and hangs up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts