Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which size backstrap do you use? I just switched to Small (#1) on my XDm 9mm and I think that's what I'll use going forward.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Started with 2. Switched to 1. Now trying 3 next Wednesday.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I am more accurate with the largest strap. I think it tries to turn in my hand a little with the smaller ones.
Take it to the range and try them one at a time and see which you shoot best with.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am more accurate with the largest strap. I think it tries to turn in my hand a little with the smaller ones.
Take it to the range and try them one at a time and see which you shoot best with.
That has been my experience as well.

Another couple of lines from one of the greatest movies ever.

She thinks I am a great chief. - Lone Watie

Wonder where she got that idea? - Josey Wales

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I started with the #2 and switched to the #1. It's a bit more comfortable.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The reason the M1911A1 had an arched MSH, while the M1911 had a flat MSH, was because coming out of WWI, the Army had lots of complaints about the 1911 shooting low. The arched housing was to fix that.

I started out with #1 on my XDm45 and was shooting low, so I switched to #2 and the problem went away. I prefer the feel of #1, so I switched back to see if having more trigger time with this longer pull had solved the problem. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to test #1 again. I am suspecting #2 will go back on. Report coming....

To this day I run arched MSHs on all my 1911s. First thing I change out when I get a new one.

Meanwhile, if you are shooting low, changing to a larger backstrap may help.

CX

·
Registered
19,975 Posts
the smallest one has me aiming more naturally. I really have to cock my wrist pretty far with the fat one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ive got large hands I use #3 backstrap and pistol gear extended silde lock release, im a right hand shooter my thumb rides on top of the release like the 1911's saftey, it works well for me. xdm9 use it for USPSA production just have to remember to count, will not lock the silde back with my grip

·
Registered
502 Posts
#2 for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm a newbie... currently using the default #2 on my 9mm 3.8 Compact.

I'm a lefty, only been to the range twice, but both times I have a bit of a tendency to shoot a little low-and-right. I'm thinking it is way I'm squeezing the trigger and just need more range work. But, I'm also thinking maybe the backstrap is affecting my grip and the gun twists a bit in my hand....

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the XDm 9mm and use the small backstrap. Changing backstraps hasn't changed my groups or accuracy but it does give me a firmer and more comfortable grip with both my left and right hands. A firm grip is important when shooting on the move as in USPSA shooting or steel shooting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went from a #1 to a #3 and I have small hands. What I noticed, is that with a larger grip my trigger finger stays the same, but the palm of my hand is further from the tips of my fingers. #1 it locks your wrist more forward and it leaves a larger gap for you support hand. It feels more comfortable to me and gives me more control of the firearm for repeat shots or follow up shots. (Double Tap)
That’s my two cents.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
#1 with my own bobtail. Trimmed some off the bottom to reduce printing and force my hand higher. It does the second.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts