Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my XDm 45 and haven't had it out yet. This gun is a step up from anything I've ever shot. How do I select the proper backstrap so as to optimize the grip angle and my finger placement on the trigger? The small backstrap feels pretty good, but I'm thinking that I could use a little more heel down low. Also, I'm not entirely sure how my finger should be best placed across the trigger.

Mods, if this thread belongs elsewhere, please move. I've seached the forum for a comprehensive thread that covers these issues but I didn't find alot in any one place. Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have averaged size, slender hands with longer fingers. I have the trigger seated on the bad of my finger, slightly closer to the nail (a habit I developed from paintball) I was pretty comfortable with the backstrak it came with, but swapped it to the medium a week ago. It made the grip more comfortable overall and allowed for easier finger placement on the trigger. My groupings improved slightly. I plan on trying the large backstrap the next time I can get to the range.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Get your hand as high as possible with the pistol axis in line with your forearm with a natural grip and zero wrist flexing when viewed from above.

I find with the long trigger pull of the XD it is better to get the pad of the trigger finger nearer the tip than the joint or at least midway. Closer to the joint, and you tend to pull shots to the left if right handed.

Try all three grips. Larger grip panels may help the tendency to shoot low with this pistol.
CX

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
It sounds like you would benefit from the NRA Basic Pistol class. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Congrats on the XDm 45!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome back from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome from Iowa

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
21,722 Posts
hello to ya

·
Super Moderator
46,389 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Get your hand as high as possible with the pistol axis in line with your forearm with a natural grip and zero wrist flexing when viewed from above.

I find with the long trigger pull of the XD it is better to get the pad of the trigger finger nearer the tip than the joint or at least midway. Closer to the joint, and you tend to pull shots to the left if right handed.

Try all three grips. Larger grip panels may help the tendency to shoot low with this pistol.
CX
This
Welcome to the forum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts