Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my '9 subcompact on recommendation by a shooting mentor and it's a good gun, but it doesn't fit my hand like a 1911 in the beavertail area. This, I believe is causing the occasional failure to lock back on empty. I will elaborate if desired. Here's the difference I mean:
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

Is there an aftermarket grip or backstrap for this gun that will change the effective grip angle, and won't that get the web of my hand up under the beavertail more firmly?

Thanks ahead of time, I haven't searched the forum for similar...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
All magazines? Or just one?

What kind of ammo? A new gun, sometimes, will malfunction with weaker ammo till it's better broken in.

Try unloading it, locking the slide back and letting it sit like that for a week. Then go to the range again.

I know people say compressing a spring and letting it sit doesn't work, but I've seen it work on stiff magazine springs for too many years with multiple brands of magazines. It doesn't ruin them, it just makes fully compressing them a bit easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All magazines? Or just one?

What kind of ammo? A new gun, sometimes, will malfunction with weaker ammo till it's better broken in.

Try unloading it, locking the slide back and letting it sit like that for a week. Then go to the range again.

I know people say compressing a spring and letting it sit doesn't work, but I've seen it work on stiff magazine springs for too many years with multiple brands of magazines. It doesn't ruin them, it just makes fully compressing them a bit easier.
Interesting. I did store it with the slide back overnghts for a bit, and checked the slide lock pivot for clean.
Magazines are a mixture of factory new-ish, and secondhand not new. Happened with both.
Ammo is 115 gr plain wrap FMJ, so yeah, I was looking at that.
I was looking at everything but my grip, and when I made double sure to give the recoil flip as much of a backstop as I could, the problem seemed to go away. Issue with the shooter, not the gun.
When I made sure to get pressure up under the beavertail, no issues. And I couldn’t make that happen consistently one-handed. Let alone under stress I would think.
So there’s the rub. Maybe finding a way to thicken the backstrap below the safety will change the pressure under this beavertail. Thus my question. I’m gonna look for someone selling something like that.
I appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
255 Posts
Get yourself some bicycle inner tube or some heavy rubber bands. Put them on the lower grip and then either make some shims or something to put under them just to try.
If you need something thicker Hogue makes a grip too.

Reactions: homerdown

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I know they made something like you describe for the Glocks. Put one on my M31 years ago. I think it's called a Grip Force Adaptor, or something like that.

The suggestion for the Hogue sleeve might work for you. Easy to pull onto the grip and it might be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ha oh boy, this is getting messy. But maybe there’s still a chance, so to speak.
I had to shim about 3/8 inch to get the kind of change I could test at the range. I enjoy solving this kind of problem, but it seems a little excessive due to ‘why not just get the ‘right’ gun’, or why reinvent the wheel?
Thanks, but Hogue doesn’t list this model, and I probably won’t find something giving me 3/8? Also, I’m still learning interchangeability stuff among the XD’s, if there is going to be any.
Messy but still moving forward, we’ll see. The otherwise straightforward simplicity etc. of this gun agrees with me.
Will be looking at the Grip Force adapter. I use a hogue grip on my J frame.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Hi!

I got my '9 subcompact on recommendation by a shooting mentor and it's a good gun, but it doesn't fit my hand like a 1911 in the beavertail area. This, I believe is causing the occasional failure to lock back on empty. I will elaborate if desired. Here's the difference I mean:
View attachment 861147 View attachment 861148
Is there an aftermarket grip or backstrap for this gun that will change the effective grip angle, and won't that get the web of my hand up under the beavertail more firmly?

Thanks ahead of time, I haven't searched the forum for similar...
I'm sorry I'm a little late to the party. I just thought this old noob would chime in with a "Me too!" response. ;)

I've had my XD9 for a couple of years now and, if I'm not careful, I still get the occasional failure to slidelock to the rear on empty. I've got fairly large paws and this gun fits me well. I have to remember to grip as high as possible with my strong (right) hand and keep my right thumb away from the slidelock release. If I'm not careful my right thumb will just naturally lay on the release and cause the gun not to lock back on empty. I try to keep my right thumb away from the gun and lay it a little more on top of my support hand thumb, so that the slide release is unemcumbered.

A lot of folks like the Talon grip kits. It won't change the angle or add much thickness but it will give you a grippy-er grip.

Or maybe something like a "grip glove"?

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

Trigger Blue Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

And that's my profound glimpse into the obvious for today. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi!

I'm sorry I'm a little late to the party. I just thought this old noob would chime in with a "Me too!" response. ;)

I've had my XD9 for a couple of years now and, if I'm not careful, I still get the occasional failure to slidelock to the rear on empty. I've got fairly large paws and this gun fits me well. I have to remember to grip as high as possible with my strong (right) hand and keep my right thumb away from the slidelock release. If I'm not careful my right thumb will just naturally lay on the release and cause the gun not to lock back on empty. I try to keep my right thumb away from the gun and lay it a little more on top of my support hand thumb, so that the slide release is unemcumbered.

A lot of folks like the Talon grip kits. It won't change the angle or add much thickness but it will give you a grippy-er grip.

Or maybe something like a "grip glove"?

View attachment 861446

View attachment 861447

And that's my profound glimpse into the obvious for today. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
Your welcome, and thank YOu!
@1clickbang said check for thumb on slide release, too, so I’d better do that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say your hitting the slide release while gripping the gun. It's a common problem. I do it with my XD9sc. I have dremeled the lever pad off about a 1/3 and have less occurrences.
Checking for thumb From here out. I thought about trimming the lever pad also. Did you shave the whole face, or did you leave the top side out and trim mostly the lower face of it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts