Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but if not, please move.

Anyways... I went to my CCW class Wed night and on Friday, I went to the Sheriff's Office to get my electronic fingerprints done. After the finger printing, I went to the gun shop to pay off my XD 45c and pick it up. They told me that my background came back with a "CONDITION". They gave me no details, but said that it did not mean much of anything since it didn't come back with a DENIED. They said that they've seen this on more than one occasion, it's a way to prolong the waiting game. The rep also said that since I use to work for the Department of Defense, over seas, and that because I had a security clearance and had to turn in my badge, that that could be a reason.

I do have some crap on my record from over 10 years ago, however, everything was withheld adjudication so I am NOT a felon; I also had a order of protection placed on me back when I was a personal bodyguard in Miami (long Boyfriend / Girlfriend story with the Girlfriend being the client and the Boyfriend not liking the idea that she had a bodyguard), but that has been dissolved for a while now. There is nothing else on my background that would cause an issue, and like I said, I was with the D.O.D. for 5 years in Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, Kandahar, Russia and a few other theaters and with a high level security clearance, so I don't get it.

The gun shop runs the background checks through FDLE so I am going to call Monday to see if I can get a little insight to this. The shop said that they should have a final answer by the 28th so I am going to hold off with the CCW so I don't possibly waste $120; I just wish I knew this before I spent the $50 for the CCW class and the $45 for the electronic finger printing :rolleyes:

lol... I just realized that I just posted a statement and not a question to lead into a discussion... Anyways, has anyone had to deal with something like this? Is this Condition thing really a way to prolong the 3 day wait? What are some thought?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Any DUI's? I wouldn't worry about it it will come back clear...

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I bought my XDm in Feb. While purchasing it my NICS back ground check came back "delayed". I hold a secret clearance from the DOD, while I was in the Marine Corps. The salesmen asked if I was in the military and if I held a clearance. I said yes and he said that was probably the reason why I was flagged delayed. I kinda of pissed me off, because I was looking forward to leaving with my weapon that day. NICS never sent any resolution to the FFL and after 5 business days I went in and picked up my XDm.

Fast forward to my CCW class. I went to the class on April 2nd (a Saturday). On April 4th (a Monday) I sent in the paperwork. I have kept in contact with some guys from the class, and they received there CCW card in the mail April 11th the following Monday. I have still yet to receive mine and today is the 23rd. I called Arizona DPS on the 22nd (they issue our CCW's) and they told me that I was approved. However, I still do not have a card in my hands.

It kinda pisses me off that I am a former Marine, with a clean record, I have a security clearance, I am highly trained and prolific with my carry weapon, and I trying my best to be a law abiding citizen. However, I feel like I am being treated like a criminal because of my service and background. Bullsh!t if you ask me. Oh well, when I do get my card, I wont have to deal with the crap anymore....but still.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A DUI is not a reason to deny a Carry Permit unless there was a death involved. OFP's Child neglect,, misdomeanor domestic etc. is a reason. The with conditions is nothing to worry about in most cases. It typically means they found some info on more than one person with simular stats, now they need a bit more time to separate the two or more people with simular stats, IE name age sex d.o.b You either ar approved or denied. There is no conditions. Its not like a provisional drivers license, where you cant drive at night. I'm sure it will work out in your favor. Worst case is that they need to see a dispositon of an old case. It's nothing to worry about. Good Luck!

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I bought my XDm in Feb. While purchasing it my NICS back ground check came back "delayed". I hold a secret clearance from the DOD, while I was in the Marine Corps. The salesmen asked if I was in the military and if I held a clearance. I said yes and he said that was probably the reason why I was flagged delayed. I kinda of pissed me off, because I was looking forward to leaving with my weapon that day. NICS never sent any resolution to the FFL and after 5 business days I went in and picked up my XDm.

Fast forward to my CCW class. I went to the class on April 2nd (a Saturday). On April 4th (a Monday) I sent in the paperwork. I have kept in contact with some guys from the class, and they received there CCW card in the mail April 11th the following Monday. I have still yet to receive mine and today is the 23rd. I called Arizona DPS on the 22nd (they issue our CCW's) and they told me that I was approved. However, I still do not have a card in my hands.

It kinda pisses me off that I am a former Marine, with a clean record, I have a security clearance, I am highly trained and prolific with my carry weapon, and I trying my best to be a law abiding citizen. However, I feel like I am being treated like a criminal because of my service and background. Bullsh!t if you ask me. Oh well, when I do get my card, I wont have to deal with the crap anymore....but still.

Huuuh... I guess the rep at the gun shop was right then, our D.O.D. clearance seems to be the issue... don't make sense!

If the D.O.D. (plus you being a Marine) cleared us for a Secret Clearance, then it would seem logical that a simple CCW would not be an issue :confused:

Well Bro, hang tight... we'll get our due ;)

On a side note, did you ever spend time in Djibouti theater - Camp Lemonier? I was there for a year and F-F-F-VKC was it HOT!!!! 140+ every day :shock:

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A DUI is not a reason to deny a Carry Permit unless there was a death involved. OFP's Child neglect,, misdomeanor domestic etc. is a reason. The with conditions is nothing to worry about in most cases. It typically means they found some info on more than one person with simular stats, now they need a bit more time to separate the two or more people with simular stats, IE name age sex d.o.b You either ar approved or denied. There is no conditions. Its not like a provisional drivers license, where you cant drive at night. I'm sure it will work out in your favor. Worst case is that they need to see a dispositon of an old case. It's nothing to worry about. Good Luck!

Yeah my name is quite popular so I've no doubt that they came across multiple "MEs" lol...

Well if dispositions are needed, I've got them, but you would think that if they are capable of pulling my history, they would also be able to see the dispo's. We obviously give government too much credit sometimes or is it that we are too blind or maybe just to embarrassed to admit incompetence on their part, lol...

Thanks man!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Huuuh... I guess the rep at the gun shop was right then, our D.O.D. clearance seems to be the issue... don't make sense!

If the D.O.D. (plus you being a Marine) cleared us for a Secret Clearance, then it would seem logical that a simple CCW would not be an issue :confused:

On a side note, did you ever spend time in Djibouti theater - Camp Lemonier? I was there for a year and F-F-F-VKC was it HOT!!!! 140+ every day :shock:
No just 2 tours to Iraq. Baghdad 03 and Fallujah 04. Kuwait was 151 in Sept 03, felt like I was melting.......

Yeah, I kinda sucks we get put in "time out" for have a clearance.....you would think that would be a plus.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
My permit to carry in Iowa was delayed because of a lack of a disposition on a charge. I provided the disposition and everything was cleared up. The Sherriff is going to clear it up in the database now also, so I don't have that happen again!

Scott

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've heard of people with similar names running into issues. A good friend of mine is a 3rd and always comes back delayed because it runs into issues with his dad's name. He ended up getting his CWP and all he needs to do now is show it and can walk out of the store with gun and no background check.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I have heard of this with some military clearance or other D.O.D. clearance in the past. The bad news is this will probably happen every time they do a background check, at least that is the case for a buddy of mine. He asked how to clean this up, and the shop guys just kind of laughed and told him to check back by the date and if they have not been told to deny he could pick up the handgun, they said they see it all the time on 'past Military'. Sucks for him cause everytime it is this wait, for us it is walk in, do the background check, pay, and walk out with gun.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Don't know about Minnisota, but in Missouri, RSMO 571.101 states you cannot have a concealed permit if you have had 2+ DWI or possession or abuse of drugs in the last 5 years.

It makes sense, drinking and driving shows you do dumb things while drinking, blatantly ignore the law, and can't be trusted to respect the safety of others.

I had one 15 years ago. Yep, I was dumb.

I'm not insinuating the OP is dumb or drinks and drives, just wanted to input that DUI/DWI history is a valid and logical reason do deny certification.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No just 2 tours to Iraq. Baghdad 03 and Fallujah 04. Kuwait was 151 in Sept 03, felt like I was melting.......

Yeah, I kinda sucks we get put in "time out" for have a clearance.....you would think that would be a plus.....
Man I had a blast in BADdad, lol, and really dug Coolwait in passing. I guess I'm a little brain damaged, but for some reason I really like being over there in all the chaos. The "Big Voice" along with mortors waking your ass up at 4am, lol... I don't know why I loved it, but I did and really miss it.

Yeah I don't get the issue with our clearance thing, but if that's the issue then ehhh... we'll be in like Flynn soon enough Bro ;)

My permit to carry in Iowa was delayed because of a lack of a disposition on a charge. I provided the disposition and everything was cleared up. The Sherriff is going to clear it up in the database now also, so I don't have that happen again!

Scott

Yeah that could very well be the issue for me as well, if the secret clearance isn't the cause. If they need the paper work, I've got it ;)

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've heard of people with similar names running into issues. A good friend of mine is a 3rd and always comes back delayed because it runs into issues with his dad's name. He ended up getting his CWP and all he needs to do now is show it and can walk out of the store with gun and no background check.
Yeah I'm a II myself and coupled with the face that my name is somewhat common, this could be the problem. Hell... When I try to look up my own BG, I have to search 8 or 9 names till I find me, lol...

I have heard of this with some military clearance or other D.O.D. clearance in the past. The bad news is this will probably happen every time they do a background check, at least that is the case for a buddy of mine. He asked how to clean this up, and the shop guys just kind of laughed and told him to check back by the date and if they have not been told to deny he could pick up the handgun, they said they see it all the time on 'past Military'. Sucks for him cause everytime it is this wait, for us it is walk in, do the background check, pay, and walk out with gun.
He doesn't have his CWP? I would think that once I obtain my CWP this should no longer be an issues. Like gthrift said, just show, pay and leave.

Don't know about Minnisota, but in Missouri, RSMO 571.101 states you cannot have a concealed permit if you have had 2+ DWI or possession or abuse of drugs in the last 5 years.

It makes sense, drinking and driving shows you do dumb things while drinking, blatantly ignore the law, and can't be trusted to respect the safety of others.

I had one 15 years ago. Yep, I was dumb.

I'm not insinuating the OP is dumb or drinks and drives, just wanted to input that DUI/DWI history is a valid and logical reason do deny certification.

No worries Bro, I didn't take it to heart, this is what the discussion is for, to weed out ideas of what it could be. ;)

But being as anal as Florida is, I would not be surprised if we has similar laws like your state does, regarding DUI, possession, and/or drug abuse.

I'm now going back to college to get my Med Degree and I'm so glad I kept my BG clean of any of those issue!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am a Vet also who had a TS clearance in the military and after I got out doing a job (for the government) . I also have a CCW license issued long before this President and his administration. I have NOT had to renew under this administration so I now wonder how that will go upon my next renewal.

Could it be that the administration is dragging their feet on Vets and others that have volunteered to defend the American way of life? Do they prefer folks like William Aires to be armed but not us?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah my name is quite popular so I've no doubt that they came across multiple "MEs" lol...

The FLDE Denied me once and was informed it was due to my popular name. I have a completely clean history. I just followed the Denied Appeal process and everything was cleared up within about 3 months. The gun shop (FFL) I had my handgun shipped to had to hold it the whole time. They did not have any issue with this as long as I was updating them that I completed and submitted the appeal and I would call every two weeks to get a status. Part of the FDLE Appeal process requires that you get your finger prints documented at a local Police stations and send them in with the additional required form. They then (I think) engage the FBI to perform a full background check on you. Once everything comes back and researched, they will send you an appeal approval letter that you provide to your FFL to complete the transfer.

The FDLE also informed me that if this happens again that I should acquire a "FBI provided PIN" to help greatly in preventing this in the future. Since it has not happened to me since, I have not followed up on this.

I'm sure yours will also be all cleared up soon. They are just tying to "make sure" as best they can not to allow legally purchased firearms into the wrong hands...

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!'
:cool:

·
Registered
240 Posts
9 times out of 10 its because you were over seas for a period of time. They have to check your records over there to make sure you didnt commit a crime while you where out of the country. I have had friends do contract work and their back ground check for jobs they applied for once back in the states take twice as long because they where out of the country for a long period of time.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

I dont know if thats the case or just BS, my wife had Secret Clearance and she doesnt get delayed, she gets approved pretty [email protected] quick actually lol;) Oh, and she was also deployed overseas for six months right after 9/11, so I dont think thats the case either...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Got my first gun over the winter (XDm of course) and the background check came back with a 'condition', or whatever they call it here.

Of course their review lasted just long enough for me to drive away and turn onto the highway and my cell phone rings... Had to go down to the next exit, turn around, go all the way back to the store.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.