Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the barrels on the 4" and 3" XD's compare besides length? I noticed the chamber block lengths very on my 5" and 3" XD 40's. What I'm hoping is that a 4" .357 Sig barrel could be cut down to SC length, am I wishing too hard for a backdoor to a factory .357 XDSC?

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I could see no reason at all why you could not have
a .357Sig barrel cut down to fit your XD40. Sounds
like a cool idea to me. Me like the .357Sig round.

I happen to own the smallest .357Sig pistol in the world,
care to guess it's name?

Ed

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
docholiday said:
How do the barrels on the 4" and 3" XD's compare besides length? I noticed the chamber block lengths very on my 5" and 3" XD 40's. What I'm hoping is that a 4" .357 Sig barrel could be cut down to SC length, am I wishing too hard for a backdoor to a factory .357 XDSC?
The 4" barrel is identical to the 5" except for the length of the barrel. The chamber block and other features are the same. You can take a 5" barrel and put it in a 4" gun and it will function fine.

If you really want a 357 SC you would probably be better off buying a 9mm conversion barrel (do they make a 9mm conversion barrel for the SC?) and have your local gun smith run a 357 Sig chamber reamer in it. A 4 or 5 inch barrel will not work in a 3" gun, they lock up differently.

mcb

·
Registered
119 Posts
Personally, I think a lot of the ballistic qualitys of 357sig are lost when you put it in a 3" barrel. This is a cartridge that thrives on velocity more so than mass. A lot of the extra powder gets thrown out as fire and boom without actually accelerating the projectile.

I would NOT ream a 9mm barrel out to fit .40cal (essentially). The 9mm starts out with a thinner(although still stout) chamber wall than the .40 to begin with.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I can tell you that my XDSC and Service in 40 are not identical. I thought maybe I could put the service barrel in the SC slide but it was not to be. The part where the recoil assembly sits is at different lengths so when you put it together, the recoil assembly is sticking out about .5" from the slide.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
willbond said:
Kel-Tec used to make a really small .357 Sig Auto. Is that what you have?
Good guess willbond.

I still think that the longer barrel can be accomodated
in the XD40. It will just have to be fitted by hand. We
are talking about your money, so I will not spend anymore
of it.

Good shooting.

Ed

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
docholiday said:
It won't work, the barrels are designed a little bit differently.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,

I'll just have to see about getting a Bar-Sto or EFK. Would have preferred a factory tolerance barrel for reliability sake, oh well.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
docholiday said:
Thanks guys,

I'll just have to see about getting a Bar-Sto or EFK. Would have preferred a factory tolerance barrel for reliability sake, oh well.
I don't think they make them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ed Ely said:
care to guess it's name?

Ed
Frank? Steve? Jonny? I give up. What's its name?

·
Registered
107 Posts
LexDiamonds said:
Personally, I think a lot of the ballistic qualitys of 357sig are lost when you put it in a 3" barrel. This is a cartridge that thrives on velocity more so than mass. A lot of the extra powder gets thrown out as fire and boom without actually accelerating the projectile.

I would NOT ream a 9mm barrel out to fit .40cal (essentially). The 9mm starts out with a thinner(although still stout) chamber wall than the .40 to begin with.
I wouldn't think the ballistic quality would be lost. It would be relative to 9mm and .40 out of a 3" barrel. Obviously the ballistics wouldn't be as good as in a 4" or 5" barrel, but .357sig would still have better ballistics than a normal 9mm round out of a 3" barrel because it's the same bullet, just more powder with the .357.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Seems like way too much trouble and expense fo a negligible tradeoff? Remember,the .357 Sig was designed from the start to "emulate" the .357 mag. from a 4 inch pipe. Hardly seems worth it.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Gadget said:
Ed Ely said:
care to guess it's name?

Ed
Frank? Steve? Jonny? I give up. What's its name?
It's the Kel-Tec. The P11 came out for 9mm, then
Kenny decided to market the P40 in .40S&W. That was
a handful for most shooters. The P40 finally went off
the market, however, Ken did sell the P40 complete
slide, as it fit the P11 frame, as an accessory. He also
developed and sold the .357SIG barrel for the P40
slide. Thus, my claim to the smallest .357SIG machine around.

Of course, I am not the only owner of these little machines,
I think that we have two persons on forum who have them
also. Just a novelty for me to have three calibers in such
a small package.

Hope the problem gets solved on the original issue. Me
sorry for the capture of thread.

Ed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts