Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im trying to find a good set of back up iron sights for my AR but im not sure what would fit on my flat top that has the lower profile gas block. I was leaning twards the magpul but they dont make one that will work on my gas block. could i mix and match? What do you have and what do you recommend? Pictures if you got them :D

·
Registered
942 Posts
i dont own an AR yet, but when i do get one i will be using Troy flip up sights.

·
Registered
54 Posts
FWIW magpul does not advise putting the mbuis on the gas block. Promag makes a front sight that will work. I have a gently used set I could sell ya. I have no use for them. The gas block on my mp15 or is same height as reciever. I can give you specifics if you pm me.

I am running Troy flip up front and rear now. I think they are better quality than promag but cost is much higher. They make a front for lowpro blocks. I have heard good things about gg&g as well but have not used them personally.

You can mix and match if you like the magpul rear sight.

ETA.. I can upload pics tomorrow morning when I get off work.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I recently purchased the Troy rear flip-up dioptic sight. I have not had a chance to get some range time with it but the sight is solidly well built and I happen to really like the diamond shaped dioptic aperture....(if you don't like the diamond dioptic aperture, they also make it with the standard round aperture).

When folded, the sight has one of the lowest profiles I have seen on any flip-up sight. They are not cheap but worth every penny as far as I am concerned. Oh, and they come in black and dark earth anodization....

·
Registered
838 Posts
Second the Troy for quality. Most of the makers, Troy included, make two heights. One is gas block specific (for low or compact gas blocks like you describe) and the other normal, flat top height like the rear sight. On M&P OR models, the gasblock is same height as the flat top so you use the shorter version. On others, as I said, go for the taller version. Magpul sights are OK I guess but not top level like all metal Troy or Midwest Ind. or Yankee Hill, Troy being the "benchmark" in many people's opinion.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Back_Up_Sights_s/69.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=69&show=10&page=4

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just got the front and rear folding sights from Troy Industries for my Daniel Defense M4 V4. They work great and look great. If I ever have to go to my backups then things have really hit the fan. I have issues with my backup sights being made of anything but durable metal from a high quality company. That's just my feeling.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I put an mbus on one of mine...it was quickly replaced with Troys rear buis. Don't even mess around with the mbus. Honestly I love me some magpul but the mbus just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OP, sorry it took so long.

PM sent.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
back up iron sights flat top that has the lower profile gas block. could i mix and match?
First off, there are 2 different height front sight bases.

The gas block mounted sights are taller than the forend rail mount, which are shorter.

You don't necessarily have to use the same brand, but you do at least have to have the correct front sight for your gun.

The reason magpul doesn't recommend using their mbus on a gas block is two fold. 1. They aren't tall enough when mounted on a gas block, and 2. Plastic will melt when exposed to a lot of heat.

·
Registered
838 Posts
First off, there are 2 different height front sight bases.

The gas block mounted sights are taller than the forend rail mount, which are shorter.

You don't necessarily have to use the same brand, but you do at least have to have the correct front sight for your gun.

The reason magpul doesn't recommend using their mbus on a gas block is two fold. 1. They aren't tall enough when mounted on a g
as block, and 2. Plastic will melt when exposed to a lot of eat.
Partially correct. M&P 15s and some others have railed, same hight as the flat top rail gas blocks on theri optics ready models. So do some other makers and uppers. Both Troy and Midwest make BOTH heights and I think YHM does also. You can get either in a "set" which many retailers discount when you buy front and rear regardless of which height front you choose. A compact gas block site will be too tall on a flat top height gas block.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im thinking of just getting a new forend grip free float with rail so i have a few more options just gotta decide on what i want to spend now.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have troy sites as well - as sold through(and marked), by Noveske when I got my upper.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Well im trying to find a good set of back up iron sights for my AR but im not sure what would fit on my flat top that has the lower profile gas block. I was leaning twards the magpul but they dont make one that will work on my gas block. could i mix and match? What do you have and what do you recommend? Pictures if you got them :D

Have you checked out the TROY Tritium Folding Sights, They are too freakin sweet man. I am definitely getting the front for my Colt and on my next build I am putting them on front and rear. Tritium on Iron Sights is a great concept.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts